“Loved our stay and will definitely recommend to our friends!”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #27 of 140 Hotels in Portland
“Loved our stay and will definitely recommend to our friends!”
Reviewed 18 February 2011

The Hotel Modera is beautiful and modern. The staff were wonderful and took great care of us! The bed was very comfortable and the ultra plush faux fur throw is to die for! (If I'd had an extra $300 I would have bought one for myself) The room seemed a bit small with the king sized bed but was still fine for my husband and I. The only thing I plan to change on my next visit is to select a room facing the inner courtyard. The noise of the traffic woke me earlier than I would have liked and I'm hoping it won't be as noticable.

• Stayed January 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 February 2011

My friends and I got a great deal on this hotel when we spent a weekend in Portland over the summer. You can tell that it's a revamped older hotel (a cab driver said it used to be in the Quality/Comfort chain), but they've done a really great job of making it seem modern and trendy. The beds were comfortable, the area was not noisy at night and it was very easy to get around Portland on foot, with transit or in our car, despite this downtown hotel not being in the more familiar areas of downtown (e.g. around Powell's, etc). The hotel restaurant has a great happy hour and a wonderful patio if the weather is fair. The staff were very helpful with our questions. There is a Saturday farmer's market at a campus a few blocks away and that was a wonderful place to get a coffee and partake in some of Portland's great foods for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Excellent location, hip hotel and great staff with a excellent restaurant/ bar located right in the lobby. Would stay again!

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Wonderful things were happening at the Hotel Modera, I just didn't know about it! What I thought was going to be a laid back birthday weekend, turned into anything but. My husband, friends and the wonderful staff helped turn my weekend into 2 days of surprises! The hotel generously upgraded our suite before we even got there, even my husband was surprised. What a great place, thank you Modera!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, 22 February 2011
Dear Guests from Salem,

We are so happy to hear that your recent stay with us was memorable! We try our hardest to make every stay as special as possible, and we are glad to hear that our efforts were a success. I’m sure your husband is also glad your birthday weekend turned out so well, as his efforts were the driving force. We hope you choose us again on a future birthday or special occasion.

Desmond Mollendor
503.484.1084
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 30 January 2011

This was my second stay at Modera. I was again impressed by the staff and the hip atmosphere even if I'm way past the age where "hip" means anything except the area below my waist.
I am far less enthusiastic about their restaurant, Nel Centro. See separate review.

• Stayed January 2011
Corbett, Oregon
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Just a couple of block from Portland State University, this hotel offers everything you could get from downtown's finest, with the added benefit of a far superior location. While not in the 'absolute center' of downtown, the core is a brisk 5-10 minute walk. If the weather is sour or you simply don't wish to walk, take the steetcar or MAX light rail, which both are within one block of the hotel. What's more, the most lush portions of the tree-lined south park blocks are just two blocks away, providing the most peaceful downtown experience you can get, making for a fantastic walk to the theatre, museum or movie house.

Beyond its fantastic location, the hotel property itself is phenomenal. Not too long ago, the building was a rough looking Days Inn, but there's absolutely no hint of its humble roots any longer. The space is exquisitely modern, yet warm and inviting. The beautiful courtyard is fantastic --too bad it was raining so hard or we would've taken advantage of it. The staff at the front desk are extremely friendly and helpful, and the high speed wi-fi is free (it doesn't even require a password).

Make your way to your room and you'll notice common area materials and lighting that rival anything at the W. Once inside your room, you'll be rewarded with a rich blend of surfaces and patterns that are all perfectly clean and modern. The rooms are a bit larger than what you'll find at the Lucia downtown, but not terribly spacious. The bathroom was wonderful and fully appointed. Though primarily a shower area, the tub also offered a reasonable, marble-clad space for a soak. The materials and colors in the bathroom were fantastic, as were the 'house' sundries.

All this said, the highlight of the room is the bed, which is perfectly appointed with a rich array of pillows, lofty bedding and a wonderfully soft faux fur throw. Lighting is equally excellent. We slept like babies on the supple bed, which is extremely high quality in every way. Adding to the experience was the fact that I selected a 'garden view' room, which is one additional layer away from the street, thereby providing an even quieter sleeping experience. Really, I didn't hear much of anything at all while awake, though the hotel was obviously well occupied. I am impressed by the sound levels overall, which can really plague a hotel.

We did not take advantage of the restaurant/bar, but it looked fantastic and was packed for dinner. This speaks well for a restaurant in a town and location with such excellent dining nearby.

For a quick, enjoyable stay where we felt truly pampered in a world-class environment, I cannot recommend a downtown hotel more (and this includes The Nines, Lucia, etc.). The Modera is a few blocks further south of the downtown core, and well worth the added buffer. If you're considering a nice downtown property, by all means look into this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guests from Corbett,

Thank you so much for the fabulous and thorough review! We are happy to hear that you appreciated our efforts to create a luxurious, modern and welcoming environment. We put a lot of thought into all details of the hotel during its renovation in 2007-2008, and are thrilled to know that even the littlest detail hasn’t gone unnoticed. We hope you choose to stay with us again in the future!

Desmond Mollendor
503.484.1084
University Place, Washington
Reviewed 25 January 2011

My husband and I are extremely pleased with this hotel...the staff is super friendly, the hotel itself is decorated beautifully and the outdoor firepits and onsite restaurant are an excellent touch.

We chose Portland for a weekend away to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and selected this hotel in part because of the wonderful reviews that others had written. I am so happy that we did. The front desk clerk,Lelano was awesome, he upgraded our room from a King Premiere to a beautiful suite at no cost in honor of the occasion. And it go better if you can believe it, not 10 minutes into our arrival we hear a knock at the door...it was a guest services staffer with a complimentary bottle of wine, chocolates and a handwritten note from the front desk thanking us for celebrating our anniversary w/them 8-)

Again, I would highly recommend this hotel, you won't be disappointed!

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple