“Great but one small flaw”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #26 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Seattle, WA
“Great but one small flaw”
Reviewed 22 February 2011

I'm giving this place four stars despite a rather rocky start. We arrived very early and was told that our room was not ready (fair enough ... we hadn't expected it to be ready). We were told we could leave our bags and that our rooms would be ready in about two hours (again, as we had expected considering how early we arrived). Well, we roamed the city a bit and came back FOUR hours later and was told that our room was still not ready. They gave us some drink vouchers for the bar which helped but since we had an infant in desperate need of a nap, we were quite annoyed. Finally, after another 45 minutes, we got into our room. After that, everything was pretty awesome.

The room was clean, well appointed, and while there was some street noise (after all, you're downtown, right next to rail lines), it wasn't intrusive. We had planned to stay only one night but we decided that evening to stay an extra night and while the room was definitely not the sole reason, it did play a factor in our decision.

The staff was also great and despite the delayed check-in, the weekend went quite smoothly. At one point, I got sick and my wife and had to call down to the front desk at 2 in the morning for some nyquil (from their sundry store). Literally within moments of putting the phone down there was knock on the door.

My only major criticism of the hotel (and the reason I'm giving it four and not five stars) is the heating system. We had a suite and the thermostat was in the bedroom but it seemed like none of the bedroom ducts were working. When the bedroom door was closed, the main living area would heat up quite a bit and the bedroom would remain very cold. This wasn't an issue when you had the bedroom door open but we were with a small infant and after putting him down to sleep, my wife and I (along with some friends) wanted to hang out in the main living area but we had to choose between making the bedroom freezing cold or making the living area uncomfortably warm. Once they get that fixed, this place is a five-star hotel, hands down.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Korean first
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Our stay was just perfect. A little to short due to it being a business trip, but the hotel was just spectacular. Check in was smooth and seamless, as was check out. We asked for help from the front desk about a restaurant we were meeting out friends at and the staff member was great. She even asked how we enjoyed our meal when we got back.

The beds were comfortable, the lighting was perfect! We were on the 5th floor so had a great view. The outdoor fireplaces looked amazing and was sad I didn’t have time to enjoy them.

We actually took two separate cabs and both drivers said we had made a great hotel choice – which is great to hear from a driver. We valet parked and both experiences were fantastic.

Overall all – a fabulous property and excellent service from every team member we encountered.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 February 2011

The hotel is average. It's a bit of a wanna-be and trying to something that it's not quite ever going to be. That being said, the rooms were comfortable and clean and the staff was friendly. The location was super - easy to find and easy to get around the city. The enormous painting of Drew Barrymore in the lobby is...interesting. I also ordered room service one night and it was quick and pretty good. I may stay again if I were looking for an affordable stay in the city -- but, it sort of missed the mark for being a luxury stay.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, 22 February 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera during your most recent visit to Portland, and thank you for your positive review. I’m happy to hear that your stay was comfortable! I am also pleased to hear that you noticed our standards of cleanliness and service, and our location convenient for your purposes. We are very proud of our Hotel and are always happy to hear when people appreciate our efforts of attention to detail.

We are thrilled to own and display the large wax painting “Venus” by Tyler Marchus. We too have noticed her resemblance to Drew Barrymore, but that is not why we chose to display this stunning piece. We hear that Tyler Marchus’s wife was his muse for this painting.

With all of our art as well as design of the hotel, we were very careful to select items that were best suited for us. We believe Hotel Modera speaks for itself through our standards of service, and attention to detail in all aspects of the Hotel. We feel very confident and proud to say that we are not trying to be any more or any less that what we are.

Thanks again for your positive review. We hope that you choose us again on a future trip to Portland.

Desmond Mollendor
503.484.1084
Reviewed 18 February 2011

The Hotel Modera is beautiful and modern. The staff were wonderful and took great care of us! The bed was very comfortable and the ultra plush faux fur throw is to die for! (If I'd had an extra $300 I would have bought one for myself) The room seemed a bit small with the king sized bed but was still fine for my husband and I. The only thing I plan to change on my next visit is to select a room facing the inner courtyard. The noise of the traffic woke me earlier than I would have liked and I'm hoping it won't be as noticable.

• Stayed January 2011
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 February 2011

My friends and I got a great deal on this hotel when we spent a weekend in Portland over the summer. You can tell that it's a revamped older hotel (a cab driver said it used to be in the Quality/Comfort chain), but they've done a really great job of making it seem modern and trendy. The beds were comfortable, the area was not noisy at night and it was very easy to get around Portland on foot, with transit or in our car, despite this downtown hotel not being in the more familiar areas of downtown (e.g. around Powell's, etc). The hotel restaurant has a great happy hour and a wonderful patio if the weather is fair. The staff were very helpful with our questions. There is a Saturday farmer's market at a campus a few blocks away and that was a wonderful place to get a coffee and partake in some of Portland's great foods for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Excellent location, hip hotel and great staff with a excellent restaurant/ bar located right in the lobby. Would stay again!

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Wonderful things were happening at the Hotel Modera, I just didn't know about it! What I thought was going to be a laid back birthday weekend, turned into anything but. My husband, friends and the wonderful staff helped turn my weekend into 2 days of surprises! The hotel generously upgraded our suite before we even got there, even my husband was surprised. What a great place, thank you Modera!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guests from Salem,

We are so happy to hear that your recent stay with us was memorable! We try our hardest to make every stay as special as possible, and we are glad to hear that our efforts were a success. I’m sure your husband is also glad your birthday weekend turned out so well, as his efforts were the driving force. We hope you choose us again on a future birthday or special occasion.

Desmond Mollendor