Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown
GreenLeadersGold level
Derwood, Maryland
“Thumbs Up!”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We had a great stay here. The hotel was centrally located, and the staff was great. I have to give special kudos to the people working at breakfast. The food was always good, hot, and available and everyone on the staff was very pleasant and professional. Our accommodations were roomy with a separate bedroom and living room area. The bed was great. The only thing that I found annoying was the couch had a lingering odor - either a person or animal - and some kind of fabric freshener might have helped (Room 634). The front desk was helpful, but not as nice as the breakfast people! It is an urban area and there were more homeless than I am used to seeing, many of them young. I gave what I could money wise and any left overs to help out. I always think, this could be me out there, if I had a catastrophe in my life. We rented a car for a day to visit the coast - the Enterprise rent a car was quick and professional. Also, we were there with a reunion group and on the last night had to move our hospitality room to another room so the staff could set up for someone different. They gave us another room and by the time I walked over there they had it set up and changed the sign. Kind of a rambling review but hope I captured the highlights.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Thank you for taking time to write such a thoughtful and detailed review of your stay with us. We take all feedback from our guests to heart and are always looking for ways in which we can improve our service and accommodations. We especially appreciate hearing when our staff went above and beyond in order to help make a guests stay a little better. So I'm very happy to hear that the breakfast and front desk staff were helpful to you.

I indeed remember your reunion group, you all were amazing to have stay with us! I'm so happy that our banquet staff was able to accommodate your request to have the room longer than planned and got you all set up in a new room and in a timely manner.

We hope to see you in the future and please let us know if there's any way that we can make your next stay even better than the last!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Arabic first
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I was in Portland to speak at a convention of newspaper publishers. The conference was held at this property and, naturally, they put me up there. Given my schedule, I ended up staying two nights.
The suites are good size, everything works, and you can get good sleep the rooms are quiet and the beds are comfortable. The biggest plus for me is that the hotel has a contract with an AV provider who gave me excellent assistance. They were available at 7 am for a sound check and to make sure all the equipment was working. Actually, three people showed up and one of them helped me with some technical issues.
The hotel is nicely located downtown and if you want to wander for food, there are a ton of places close by.
I will stay here again, on my own dime, next time I am in town.

Room Tip: They are all good. No rooms are close to the elevator.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Murray S
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Our family stays at Embassy Suites every time we are in Portland with our kids. The suites are perfect for a family, allowing plenty of room for everyone and privacy for mom & dad. This trip the kind staff at the front desk upgraded us to an Executive Suite! (This is our first time being upgraded anywhere - so it was a real treat). The room was so nice and we had a perfect view of Voodoo Donuts - so we could take advantage when the line was short! The staff here are exceptional and the Parking Packages is good deal.
Upon early arrival (not even 1PM), when our room was not ready they offered to store our bags and gave us a card for the pool and then got our room ready for an early check-in at 2PM. Missed the Managers Reception this time but we usually try not too. Breakfast was good as always - my only complaint is the coffee, they really could use some better beans - Stumptown is right across the street though. And one of the hot tubs was out of service and didn't look to pretty. We will stay again! Thanks Embassy Suites!

Room Tip: We liked our room on the 3rd and Ankeny side and a high floor is a must if you ask me!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CollegeChic27
Canby, Oregon
Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

We have been coming to this hotel for the past nearly 15 years. It provides the best value for a large family. Excellent location for all things Portland: Max, downtown, eateries. Staff remembers us from year to year which is a nice touch. The hotel itself is beautiful.

• Stayed July 2012
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Thank you so much for the kind review and for making us your hotel of choice when traveling to Portland! We love to see loyalty like this from our guests because it gives our staff the opportunity to form relationships and give the guests a home away from home during their travels.
Twin Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I stayed here two nights for a conference held in the hotel. Some very positive aspects of this property and some very negative.

First the positive - rooms are large. I stayed in a 1 bedroom suite and found the bed to be very comfortable. The bathroom has been update and while small, it was adequate. The lobby is beautiful and it is fairly close to most downtown locations. The hotel has rooms that face a semi-interior courtyard. Over half the rooms will have no view at all.

The negative start with the large stains on the carpet in room 707. Very obvious and really turned me off to the room. If they can't clean up the big stains, what else hasn't been cleaned. The hallway areas have black carpet and show a lot of dirt.

The staff was not as attentive as most hotels of this caliber are. My biggest frustration was the outrageous parking policy they have. The garage is located across the street, clearly labeld the Embassy Suites garage and they will rip you off. First there is no in and out privelages. We had parked in the garage the first day for exaclty 25 hours and we were charged $36. - $18 for each 24 hour period. When I returned an hour later and re-entered the garage I ended up paying another $18. Now I don't mind paying for parking and realize it is expensive in the big city but if you are staying multiple days their policy needs to align better with guests coming and going. Even more frustrating was that the front counter desk could not have given a rip. Acted like they have nothing to do with the garage. The folks in the garage act like it is the hotel making them do it. Overall we paid more in parking than we did for the rental car. In hind site you may be better off paying the $30 for valet parking so you can have in and out privelages, plus they can run get your car for you.

While the property is nice overall not sure I will be back if I end up having to pay for parking twice.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank EagleDad
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
We here at the Embassy Suites Portland Downtown value our guest’s feedback, whether positive or negative, because without it we wouldn't be able to grow and develop ourselves to provide the best possible accommodations for our guests. So thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

You are correct that parking in downtown locations more often than not is very costly. We try to make parking for our guests as convenient and cost effective as possible. This is why we have a couple options for parking vehicles, both of which you have described. Valet is definitely the better value when you are planning on taking your car out more than once per day because it offers unlimited in and out privileges and eliminates those excess self parking charges. But please accept my apologies for the lack of helpfulness and empathy you received from our front office staff. This is alarming to me and it is something that we will quickly address in order to prevent such occurrences in the future.

I truly hope that the next time you visit Portland you will again chose to stay with us. And please do not hesitate to contact me personally so I can ensure the next stay exceeds your expectations.

Again, thank and we hope to see you soon.

Leesa McCall
Embassy Suites | Portland Downtown
Direct: 503.416.7213 | Fax: 503.497.9051
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed at this hotel on several different trips to Portland. Each stay has always been fine. The hotel is in a nice and convenient downtown location. It is an older building but the lobby is attractive, the rooms are a decent size and the staff is friendly. The food is very good and their Sunday breakfast is very popular with the locals. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Hamilton, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 September 2012

When we first walked in the lobby we were amazed by the elegance. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly during our entire stay.

We had a 4th floor corner suite. I have seen apartments in Manhattan that are smaller! There was an actual living room area, with a small desk/dining table. In another part of the suite there was a wet bar with a microwave and refrigerator.

The bedroom, truly a separate room, was quite comfortable. Not the largest hotel bedroom we have ever been in but certainly of reasonable size. There was plenty of counter space in the bathroom.

The free breakfast was quite good. Served everyday were pancakes, eggs, oatmeal, bacon (etc.). There was a made-to-order omelet station. Juices, soda, ice tea, coffee were all available. If you ask you can get sugar-free syrup.

The reception in the evening varied in menu (one day crudites, one day chips and pretzels) but always a tended bar with more than just wine. (My husband had Scotch!)

The elevators were reasonably quick.

Attached to this restaurant was Portland Prime (yum!) and Blue Collar Bakery (we can not offer any opinion of this as we did not eat there).

The location was wonderful but that is a qualified "wonderful". It is downtown, at the edge of Old Town. Old Town was often seedy. We did not venture out late in the evening. There are homeless in the area, mostly with signs asking for help but a few people did approach us. No one hassled us and we did not feel unsafe. On the bright side, the hotel is only a few blocks from Voodoo Donuts. (Gotta see to believe.) This is why we only gave the hotel 4 stars, not 5.

The hotel is not terribly far from public transportation. The system is great but try to know which stop you want as the maps for individual sights are not always well marked. BTW, transportation is no longer free, as of September 1, 2012. But for $5 you can get an all day pass.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple