“Great Hotel, even better staff”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown
Ranked #19 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The bellmen and valet parkers were extremely helpful and efficient. They gave us recommendations on shopping, sightseeing , and where to eat. Basically they took care of our whole itinerary and made our trip exceptionally enjoyable. It is a great service to just call downstairs before coming down and your car is waiting in front. Upon our departure they got our bags and they were waiting in the car when we got downstairs. The front desk was equally as efficient. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you Clay! Isn't it nice to be spoiled every once in a while! I love our Valet staff and will make sure to tell them your cool comments. Thanks for staying with us and ultizing the awesome staff to make your Portland Adventure fun. We will be seeing you on your next trip I hope!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,345)

Reviewed 6 April 2014

They don't make them like this Embassy Suites (originally The Multnomah Hotel) any more. I had a fine stay. The staff is very helpful - when the lobby wifi wasn't working on my laptop, the front desk clerk gave me a code for the paid wifi, which also worked in my room.

Breakfast and manager's reception were both fine, but it's the charm and the classic design that makes this hotel a cut above the others in Portland, and several cuts above the more suburban design of typical Embassy Suites.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Human44
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Human44, I agree with you we are a special hotel (even if I am a bit biased)! Our 102 year history is the basis for our service and hospitality, and we are so proud to be a part of your stay. Please come back to visit us and enjoy our hotel even more! See you soon :)

Reviewed 6 April 2014

My family recently visited Portland and stay at the Embassy Suites Hotel. We found the Pine St location excellent and the staff very professional and knowledgeable about the local attractions. We highly recommend staying at the hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Anthony, I am happy to hear our staff helped make your stay memorable. I will pass on your comments to the departments and let them know. I hope you are able to come back to visit Portland and stay with us again. Thank you so much!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

When you first walk in, you just can't believe it! Ornate lobby, elegant reception area. However, everything else about the Multnomah experience is thoroughly modern. The free breakfast is wonderful: all the typical offerings plus a made-to-oder omelet station that's really fast! Good coffee, too, not the typical weak offerings. Also, the manager's evening reception is quite lavish! More than just two bottles of open wine. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed. The king bed was easily the most comfortable hotel bed we've ever slept on. The staff is wonderful! They handled the situation of extremely noisy neighbors throwing a party next door with diplomacy and skill and got them to (eventually) knock it off. The morning we left they arranged a taxi for us at 4AM that was there on the dot. We can't wait for our next trip!

Room Tip: If you want to observe the lively street scene, ask for a room with the street view. It's not t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank IslandTraveler73

IslandTraveler, Thank you for your lovely comments on The Grand Lady of Fourth Avenue! We take pride in our combination of historic-modern charm and it is great you are now part of our legacy. I agree with you about the beds and coffee; both are lifesavers. I am happy to hear the staff helped with an uncomfortable situation, I will pass on your kind words. And we also can’t wait until your return and hope it will be soon!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This hotel has a beautiful foyer with an historic art deco feel to it. The breakfast room and food is complete with special touches that make it very enjoyable. The staff everywhere was really helpful from the dining room, to the housekeeping, and maintenance who replace the towel hanger in the bathroom. I asked for a quiet room and was glad to have the extra buffer from busy traffic around the hotel. One note is there is a public garage just around the corner to park your car if you have the luxury of not using the valet or hotel parking. Had a wonderful stay and happy to have two days at this hotel for my visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Lindy, thank for noticing our unique 1912 lobby, we do love it too! I am so glad you had a happy time with us and I have passed along to the mentioned departments your kind comments. We hope to have you stay with us for longer next time.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I recently traveled to Portland on business and the Hilton, which was the host hotel for our convention, was sold out. I was booked for 6 nights into the Embassy Suites as an alternative. I arrived around 11pm on a Monday evening and was put in a very adequate room around the corner from the elevators. I almost went downstairs and asked to change rooms, as I am a light sleeper and was worried that I would be kept awake. But, I was tired from traveling and just wanted to get to sleep. The next morning I left early, so at that point there was still not a lot of activity on the elevators. When I returned late afternoon, the noise from the elevators was quite annoying, so I asked for a room change. I was told that they would have availability the next morning. The next day, the staff accommodated me and put me into a much nicer and larger room. They even called up to see if I was satisfied with the new room. I'm glad that I chose to move, because the room I stayed in offered a much more pleasant experience. As for the other amenities in the hotel, Breakfast was good, as was the afternoon happy hour. The beverage options during the Happy Hour were decent, but the snacks provided could be improved upon. One evening I ordered a cheeseburger and fries from room service. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with how good it was, as from experience at other hotels, the food from room service can be spotty. Also during my stay, I used the fitness center. The space and the equipment were fine, but one suggestion would be for the hotel to invest in a few more workout/yoga mats (about $20 each). They only had one mat, and 2 out of 3 times that I used the facility, someone was using it for the entire time I was working out.
Overall I was very satisfied with my stay, despite the few small issues. I understand issues or concerns can arise anywhere you go, but if you speak up and they are handled correctly, it makes all the difference in the world. I can truly say that the staff did a great job in handling my issues and requests. They were hospitable, professional and the shining stars of the hotel!

Room Tip: If you are put in a room by the elevator, ask to be moved. It will sound like there is an airplane f...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel, cmcdlm. It does make all the difference to your stay when you are able to move rooms. I am so glad we made your time with us worth it; we strive to make our guests have an extraordinary stay so it is wonderful to hear from someone who experienced a “happy accident” with a new hotel. We have made some changes to our snacks during the Evening Reception and hope you will be back to try the new yummies. In regards to the gym, we are about to begin renovations to the room but I will make sure to have a few more mats out this week; thank you for the idea! Thank you for the comments on our staff, I agree they are “shining stars” and will let them know. We look forward to seeing you again soon on your next visit to Portland (when you stay with us on purpose of course!).

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have stayed at this location many times and recommend it. The free breakfast is great and managers reception is a nice extra. The pool/rec room is highly praised my my kids! It is close to great eateries and downtown. It's super close to Voodoo Doughnuts!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you so much for staying with us, David! We recently updated the pool and I am happy to hear your family enjoyed it. We'll see you again soon I hope!