“great location, great rooms...but for a few finishing touches”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown
Ranked #19 of 143 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
dublin
“great location, great rooms...but for a few finishing touches”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel in april 2014 in a 2 bedroomed suite.
The room itself was excellent. A living area flanked by two separate bedrooms ensuite (436 the room number)

The location is perfect with restaurants and bars within easy reach.
The room was a bit pricey at 900 dollars for two nights...so surprised parking and wifi were not included.

A couple of things that could be made a lot better.
1. The pool and spa area needs better maintenance...the sauna was cold and so too was the pool and the jets in the tubs didn't work. also there's no changing area down there.
2. The dining room needs updating and the breakfast was poor that morning. I think redecoration and new menu would really help. I wouldn't eat at the hotel.

If you are looking for somewhere good to eat try Mothers bistro (2 blocks away)

Room Tip: 436 for a double bedroomed suite
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Family_Guy07, I am happy to hear you liked our suites! I really like the space in the two bedroom-two baths; feels like a grand apartment at times. The parking fee is one of the lowest in town for a hotel (but on-street parking is free after 7pm if you can snag a spot). I spoke with our Engineer department about the temperatures in the pool and sauna and I think you were here when we were updating them which were why they may have been down. I will pass along your comments about Breakfast and hopefully when you stay with us again it will make your tummy happy! (I agree with you about Mother’s and there is SO much great food in Portland!) See you again soon and thank you for the review!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Arabic first
Glendive, Montana
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Recently in Portland, OR for business and this is a great and elegant place to stay in the downtown area. We also had our luncheon meeting in this hotel. Have stayed here before and it worked well then as it did this time. Was able to check into a room early. Would like free Wi-Fi but that's not the end of the world. Plenty to eat and choose from for breakfast and it's a very busy and crowded time in the lower level breakfast eating area. Sometimes you have to wait for an open seating area but it's usually not a very long wait. Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
I am so happy to hear your return stay with us was successful, BarryG! Hopefully you took advantage of the complimentary lobby Wi-Fi. And we look forward to seeing you again on your NEXT stay with us!
florida
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

This is not your usual Embassy Suites as it once was an old hotel - built in 1890's. It is big and beautiful and impressive but the staff was not! ... they screwed up the bill and corrected it - while we waited - but they never apologized.

• Stayed April 2014
FLStarfish the Multnomah Hotel was built in 1912 but does carry the old charm of the Old Town District architecture surrounding us. I hope you will give us and our team members another try as we do have a great, friendly staff. And please let me know if I can do anything!
Phoenix, United States
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The hotel is in an older building and has a historic look and feel. Yet, the rooms are large and updated. The free evening reception was a nice treat and the free breakfast was excellent. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you, SteveH for staying with us! We just updated the rooms this winter and are glad you like them (we love them!!). We hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My previous review of this hotel is below, but I deleted that review to edit it based on my experience after posting. I stand by the fact that travelers should know what happened, but at the same time, I appreciate all that was done to rectify the situation by Alex Dawes after his staff failed to meet the expectations set forth by the hotel.

Upon posting my review, I received a phone call by Alex early the next morning to apologize and ask how they could make the situation better. My husband and I had already settled into our room and at that point, it was going to be more trouble than it was worth to switch rooms so I told him that we would stay where we were. Alex apologized again for failing to meet our expectations. After a day of sightseeing we came back to our hotel room to find a bottle of wine, a fruit and cheese platter, and a handwritten note apologizing again for what happened the day before. I want to emphasize that my husband and I were happy to know that Alex and the Embassy Suites took such measures to "make things right," it's just unfortunate that it took a bad review for that to happen. My 3-star rating is based on the poor start; it would've been a much higher rating had we not been received the way we were, in fact, the rest of the staff and the amenities were fantastic. Regardless, we ended up having a great time celebrating our wedding anniversary in Portland; my husband and I both agreed that we would love to stay at the hotel again, and hopefully we will have the opportunity in the future.

Original Review:

Alex Dawes' introduction to the hotel experience in the book in the room says "if you are not satisfied with any aspect of our service or facilities, we will do whatever it takes to please you, no questions asked." It really should add the line "unless you book through a third party then we don't care." Called to see if we could get a room with a better view-- Ours was in a dark corner and faced some moldy outdoor pipes and a concrete wall. Was told the room we "paid" for was the room we got and so that was all they could offer us unless we wanted to pay and upgrade. How pathetic that you have open rooms and can't move us up a floor or switch our room on the same floor to a different view. Never in my life have I stayed at a hotel and experienced this. Pretty pathetic and less than hospitable. Yes we paid less than you advertise on your website but we are paying customers nonetheless. As an avid traveler I have never been more disappointed with a staff and hotel manager.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
EmbassySuitesHotel69, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Lillian521 - I'm glad that we had the opportunity to #MakeItRight. We do make mistakes sometimes and this is one that we'll learn from.
We all look forward to seeing you again soon.
Warm regards
Alex
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stay here every year for a convention. This year is was even better as they had redecorated the rooms and the beds are wonderful. I do miss the days when we had glass wine glasses and robes in our rooms. The cocktail reception was very crowded and we had to stand in line for a long time to get a cheap glass of wine, that is disappointing. The breakfast is one of the best the chain has to offer. I find the $37/day for parking outrageous. You can park it yourself across the side of the hotel for &13/ day.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Flosser201, thank you for posting. I am glad your overall stay was great! The Evening Reception can get a bit busy, especially during conferences and Sping Break, and we do sell the wine by the bottle so you could take it to your room. And the robes are available still! I am so happy you like the updated rooms; we love them too! Parking rates are actually one of the lowest in town, and I understand it seems high. While there aren't many places to park in the city we try our best to be affordable for our guests. I hope you will stay with us again soon and are able to snuggle up in a comfy robe with a great glass of Oregon wine! :)
San Diego, United States
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The bellmen and valet parkers were extremely helpful and efficient. They gave us recommendations on shopping, sightseeing , and where to eat. Basically they took care of our whole itinerary and made our trip exceptionally enjoyable. It is a great service to just call downstairs before coming down and your car is waiting in front. Upon our departure they got our bags and they were waiting in the car when we got downstairs. The front desk was equally as efficient. Overall a great experience.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you Clay! Isn't it nice to be spoiled every once in a while! I love our Valet staff and will make sure to tell them your cool comments. Thanks for staying with us and ultizing the awesome staff to make your Portland Adventure fun. We will be seeing you on your next trip I hope!