“Excellent room size”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown
Ranked #19 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 October 2008

First trip to Portland, Oregon, we looked at quite a few accommodation places via the internet but most were full so we chose Embassy Suites downtown. The room size was better than expected with a separate lounge area which included a pull out sofa bed so in total we had 3 double beds to use, which suited our two teenage sons for once they didn't have to share. It was a bonus having a laundry at the hotel to use and it was super cheap for washing machine and drier. We also took advantage of the free buffet breakfast which was ample although the bacon was cooked to a frizzle. Location wise it was close to city area but would not recommend going out at night on your own it was a bit dodgy.
The staff were very friendly and our boys enjoyed the pool and the games room.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 October 2008

I flew into Portland International and took the Tri Met Light Rail into downtown Portland. I first stayed at the Marriott City Center and then later in my trip, I walked to my next property.

The Embassy Suites Downtown, formerly known as the Multonomah Hotel as a grand classic large lobby. The front reception welcome was good. The property itself is a bit dated and so are the rooms. The rooms are suites like in typical Embassy Suites.

The room was cleaned and well cleaned each day I was there.
The water pressure and temperature were okay. This property is not too tall so you can hear some outside traffic noise. The bed was comfortable.

The complementary breakfast is served in the basement in a large room and is adequate.

The surrounding neighborhood is not as nice as center city properties such as the Marriott City Center.

The plus at this property is that it offers suites and includes microwave and mini fridge. The walk to the Pearl District and/or Chinatown is nearby and the walk to the city center is okay too.
Portland is a very walkable city. Portland is also a very progressive, green and foward thinking city. Out of 10 metro cities I visited this year, it is the most interesting.

I recommend the nearby Thai Restaurant, Esan. I also recommend the Chocolate, Coffee & Wine Bar - Sweet Mysteries Chocolate & Coffee bar. Elephant Deli. Cacao Chocolate. Stumptown Coffee.

I also recommend signing up with Portland Walking Tours. I took both their city walking tour and Epicurean tour. Both tours are different and there is no overlap.

If you're looking for a suite type of property and can get a really good rate, then I'd recommend this property. Though my next trip to Portland, I'd probably stay near city center.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank SeminarTrekker
Reviewed 24 September 2008

We just love it here! We have stayed here four times. Everything is always great, I have yet to meet a person on staff that i dont like! The beds are so comfortable, the views are great, the breakfast is amazing, the lobby and pool are beautiful. I just wish we could stay here more!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2008

I've stayed at all major hotel chains in Portland (Westin, Marriott, Hilton) and I think this is one of my favorites.

The hotel style has that "Titanic" feel. It is very lovely and fancy. When I checked in, I was pleasantly surprised because they upgraded me to a "very nice" room....and when I got to my room I realized they upgraded me to the PRESIDENTIAL SUITE!

The room was huge and spacious and the king canopy bed was soft and comfortable. The master bedroom had a large flat panel tv and even had a BOSE stereo system in it (never seen that in a hotel before!).

The restaurant downstairs, Kincaid's was fabulous! Their basic bread and butter was yummy! (hot sourdough bread with garlic butter!).

Overall, great hotel for business travel as well as leisure.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank elaine p
Reviewed 6 September 2008

We stayed at the Embassy Suites for two nights. The hotel, which had been used as an office building for years, has been lovingly renovated to its early grandeur. The room (a 2 bedroom suite) was very large and quite clean. We didn't have a very good view, but the windows did make the room very light. Hotel employees were friendly, with the exception of one very surly parking attendant. The pool was fun and the breakfast magnificant.

My only dislikes were:

(1) the ridiculously high cost of valet parking -- shouldn't that have been included in the room rate since it is impossible to park in the area?

(2) the location -- although it was close to everything, there was nowhere to walk in the evening. Even walking a few blocks to a local restaurant was an uncomfortable experience, given that we have 2 teenaged girls. The neighborhood was not just urban, it was depressing.

Next time I visit Portland, I'll try somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank guacomole
Reviewed 30 August 2008

This is a good choice for downtown Portland. Although the building was built in 1912, the rooms are up-to-date and very clean. Typical Embassy Suites style with breakfast and evening reception. The breakfast/reception area is two levels below the lobby and, as others have reported, is not historic but rather dreary. Staff is reasonably friendly and competent although sometimes in short supply. Location is convenient to Max and buses however the area to the north and east of the hotel is a bit sketchy with the Union Mission and a number of bars that cater to young rowdies. But the colorful people are what makes Portland interesting and I would certainly not let that deter you from staying here. All in all, a good spot and certainly a historic property with magnificent lobby.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank 1NicePerson
Reviewed 29 August 2008

Pretty good for value. We paid a little over $200/night w/ a coupon/some online special. Included breakfast and parking (which can be almost $40/night) so it was worth it. Loved the historical hotel and inside was brand new and nice. 2 rooms, so the kids stay in the living room pull out couch, w/ TV. Breakfast was huge and all you can eat downstairs. Staff was very friendly. Note: it's not located in the classiest area, but it seemed very safe. We'd stay there again...

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family