“Awesome stay , amazing customer service”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown
Ranked #19 of 143 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Karachi, Pakistan
“Awesome stay , amazing customer service”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Visiting first time in Portland , I made plans to stay here with my family and surely glad we stayed here. From entering the hotel , we were greeted by the grand decor as it's a historic property , loved the large columns and all . The checkin was quick and efficient and bellman brought bags to the room quickly.
Now it's a all suite hotel and we were upgraded to a corner suite and it did well when the Grand Floral Parade and we were able to watch all the action from our room window.

The size of the suite was good with a foyer , master bedroom and sitting area which doubled as kid's bedroom ( sofa bed) .

The location of the hotel is also very convenient , with minutes away from Pioneer Square and Pioneer Mall and right next to Voodoo Donuts .

Aside from the location and the room and the hotel which is all amazing , it is the customer service which was unparalleled

I had a parcel coming in from San Francisco and the front desk was courteous enough to follow up on that and accept it and keep it on my behalf.

The best experience was when we checked out , we have to take the train to Seattle at 12:15 pm and we checked out at 11:45 am , now with 5 bags and the four of us , there was no taxi outside and with almost a mile walk , we were thinking , we will miss out on the train but the head bell man ( the nice guy in a tie and blue shirt , I forgot to get his name ) came to the rescue , he brought out his own jeep , kept our bags and us and in it and drove us to the train station and we were able to catch our train in time. In all my years of travel , I've never seen a service like this , Kudos to the guy who came as our savior and made our vacations much more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Get a Corner Suite , it's worth some extra dollars for a great view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank schawlaf
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Beatrice; what fun you had while here!!! It seems like you survived our city’s snafu with humor and activities and we thank you for understanding. Please make sure you come back and visit us again soon and try even MORE adventures (hopefully you will add the “waffle guy” cart on your food list). Thank you for staying with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Arabic first
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I enjoyed the location and proximity of this hotel to so many activities...especially Voodo Doughnuts (kidding). Short walk to many activities and great restaurants, and public transportation. The hotel was beautiful and the two bedroom suite was more than enough room for the 5 of us. Clean...excellent breakfast area (large and the most items I have ever seen on an Embassy property). You are near the less attractive areas of downtown, but we walked everywhere and never felt threatened by anyone. There is a large homeless population, but we were never even asked for money. Hotel is across the street from Vodoo Doughnuts, which is an added bonus since that is the busiest place in all of Portland (and worth it!) No problems with this hotel-exactly what I expected.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AZ-Traveler85253
Thank you so much AZTraveler for both staying at our hotel and taking the time to review us. I am happy to read your trip was nice and it sounds like to had a chance to explore the city and see our quirky sights (VooDoo is quite the attraction and it makes for great people watching!). I hope you will stay with us again and try more adventures!
Bellevue, United States
Reviewed 4 June 2014

A very beautiful, old hotel. My wife and I have stayed here twice and will stay here again. It's right around the corner from Voodoo doughtnuts which is a nice perk. Our beds were comfortable, the decor tasteful, the service excellent, and the food delicious. We had a King sized suite for much less than I would have expected so even the price worked for us.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

1 Thank Mark D
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Mark; welcome back (again)! We are so glad you return to us often and we will see you again very soon I hope! If you haven't read our history book please do so the next time you stay with us. :)
Rancho Cordova, CA
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here from 05/29/14 to 05/31/14. The location of this hotel is great! Walking distance to a lot of things in Downtown Portland made it easy not to take a car to shop, walk or just wander. The Parking for the hotel is pretty pricey, the parking garage is a bit tight driving around so be careful and is actually across the street from the hotel. From other reviews, there is another parking garage across another street from the hotel that is quite a bit cheaper so that might be something to consider. When you arrive, they allow you to check in and bring your baggage up to the room and leave your car infront of the hotel. The only thing they ask is that you leave the keys. Check in staff were nice, morning breakfast was good but can get pretty busy in the morning. The room was nice, stayed on the 2nd floor fairly close to the elevator. I like that the room was set up so that the bathroom was separate from the bedroom as this made it easier when needing to get ready in the morning if someone else was still sleeping. I will say, the view from our room was pretty terrible. We looked out upon the roof of hotel (middle of the hotel) if i'm not mistaken. It would have been nice to not have the room right outside of our window. Also, instead of a sheer curtain and a black out curtain, we only had a black out curtain which meant it was a bit uncomfortable to open the curtains as we could see into other rooms above us. Friday evening and Saturday morning were quite loud and we could hear people running above our room past 10pm. After it finally stopped, we were able to sleep soundly. The beds are comfortable and the room has a television in both the bedroom and living room.

Overall, the hotel location is great and the rooms are pretty nice as well. Would say here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ki7ka7bar
Ki7Ka7bar, I am happy to hear most of your stay was pleasant and delightful. I do apologize for your view! The designers of the Multnomah Hotel in 1912 boasted every room was an “outside facing room”, but didn’t specify where you were actually facing! So while the natural light is soothing and nice, sometimes the “view” isn’t. Hopefully upon your next stay with us we can get you into a room which does allow you to see some of the fun city of Portland. Thank you for taking the time to review us and we look forward to seeing you again!
chicago illinois
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Three adults shared a large 2room suite and it worked beautifully. This historic building has been refurbished, is in a great location, has spacious rooms, nice views, nice bar and restaurant, great complimentary breakfast in the morning, hospitality reception in the evenings--all is good.

Room Tip: Our corner suite was great because of views in two directions
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Reesie42
I am glad everyone had a nice stay with us, Reesie. We redecorated the rooms this year and are happy to hear you enjoyed them. Please come back and stay with us again soon!
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Thia hotel was a big surprise. When I think of Embassy Suites, I envision more of a standard quality hotel suite room. This far exceeded my expectations. My room was HUGE!! It felt more like the size of a small apartment rather than a hotel room. High cielings, big open spaces in the room, very elegant. I read ahead on Trip Advisor and took the advice of many traveelers and requested a room facing the street and I was very glad I did. I had a nice view of some of the downtown buildings and sights. My colleague did not have such luck and was in a room that baiscally faced into a wall on the other side of the building. I was also glad to have asked for a room on a higher floor which afforded a better view. Location is good, within walking distance of many shops and restaurants. I also must say that they have done a great job training their staff in customer service. I was greated each time I came into contact with an employee, be it a maid in the hallway or a repair man, with a smile, eye contact and a friendly hello. That was very nice.

Stayed May 2014
3 Thank 103lisas103
103lisas103, how fun to hear we exceeded your expectations! The best part about being one of a few select historic properties for Embassy is making our guests feel like they have traveled back to a special time and place. And how wonderful you took the advice from other travelers and were able to be in rooms which showcase the uniqueness of our fair city. When the hotel opened in 1912 it prided itself on having “every room facing outside” but the reality is you might be facing your neighbor! Also, while we do have great training, as Team Members we are a great, happy bunch who love working here and sharing that with our guests. Thank you for the comments about our hospitality and I will make sure to pass it along to every department. We look forward to seeing you in the future!
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located downtown next to China town and several food truck areas. Purchased food from three different food trucks, took the food to my room, and enjoyed them over a movie. After a long day, pho was the comfort food that really hit the spot.

The food served during conference was excellent, including the staff. Very accommodating staff.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lee H
Lee; I think you may have had a perfect stay with us! Eating in your room while watching a movie after a conference sounds heavenly! Thank you for taking the time to review us and we will see you again in the near future.