“Embassy Suites Portland Downtown”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown
Ranked #18 of 140 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Embassy Suites Portland Downtown”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed here for 7 nights recently on a quilting tour. Lovely big room with every mod con,and a very comfy bed with beautifully ironed sheets. Found the front door staff very helpful with directions and marking landmarks on the map for us,as the hotel is well placed for shops and restuarants. Front desk staff were friendly and efficient. The managers reception from 5.30 til 7.30pm with drinks and nibbles was a great idea
enabeling us to get together in small groups after a day out (there were 2 coach loads of us!)
Found the hotel bar a little disconcerting, if I ordered a glass of white wine I never knew which kind or price the barman would be giving me. There didnt seem to be a standard measure or price.
Wi Fi was ONLY in the lobby unless you pay $9.95 a day!!!!! I have found that most other hotels
provide free wi fi these days.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wendy T
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Wendy, we always love when your group comes to stay with us and this year was no different! It was a pleasure to see everyone again and so nice to hear your visit and the tours were fun. I will pass on your lovely comments and we will see you next year!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was my first time to Portland and I was here on business. I decided to use the Embassy because of the usual Embassy Perks. The front desk staff seemed pleasant, but when it was asked about restaurants around the area, they just gave us the map, offered no personal suggestions. Usually at hotels this nice they give some type of personal tidbits to go with the sheet but that we didn't mind. The breakfast and manger's reception was excellent. The ladies that cooked the omelettes and made the drinks were cool under all the people that were waiting. Also for business travelers, we sometimes just want to come to the room and relax, and I felt that with all the money we are paying, we can at least get some cable channels on the television that were not scrambled. The hotel overall was clean and all the staff including the housekeepers were very friendly. What was not so nice about the area was the countless homeless people that were around the hotel. I was in a group and we didn't feel comfortable walking around at night in that neighborhood. It is not to say anything bad about the area or the people, it is just not what we wanted to do as women. We were approached by someone as we walked into the hotel the first night, the next time we just drove everywhere we wanted to go.
Parking is very very high, we ended up parking our car in offsite facilities that was way cheaper than the hotel.

Overall good experience, but I think next time I will stay outside the city center or over in the Pearl District.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Tee, thank you for your feedback about your stay and I will speak to each department about your concerns. Were you able to speak with our Concierge while you were here? She offers some great ideas about places to go and where to eat. Hopefully you will be back soon so we can WOW you. Have a wonderful summer!
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful lounge area. This historic hotel is well appointed & good walking distance to everything. My only beef was that you have to pay $9.99 per day for Internet access (via phone too) unless you go down to the lobby or have AT&T or Hilton hotel membership. Given this is not a cheap hotel and much lower priced hotels have FREE access, this just seemed cheesy. Breakfast was great and happy hour good but I would be willing to go for one glass of free wine and have free Internet access in my room! Parking is high but so glad to have valet given my husband has a disability.

• Stayed July 2014
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review, Barb, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Lovely hotel with superior staff, always helpful and friendly. A FREE happy hour with snacks and drinks was very nice as was the free breakfast. Beautiful pool and many accomodations for the handicap.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
HillColorado, thanks for taking the time to review us and say such nice things! We will see you again I hope!!
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was my first time to Portland, Oregon. I decided on the Embassy Suites because of the location downtown and because of the usual perks (breakfast, mgrs reception, etc).

The Embassy staff was great. The front desk folks were enormously pleasant. Parking is not cheap. I did not use the valet, but the guys seemed extremely efficient. The self parking garage is across the street and extremely convenient, and $10 less a day. THe garage is...really tight...so if you have a big SUV or don't like tight spaces, go valet.

First...Portland. A very nice place and walkable city, but thing I noticed when arriving from the airport to the Embassy Suites was the enormous homeless population. I am from Philadelphia and am no stranger to homeless folks, but this was simply unreal. The folks I encountered on the streets were friendly (for the most part), with the occasional stuck in the 1970s hippie wanna be still trying to find him or herself.
I mention this not as a political statement, but instead because of how it impacted my comfort walking around the city. In the daytime, it was fine. At night, I thought before I walked, and as a result ended up (fairly or not) eating in the hotel an awful lot.

The Embassy Suites property is in a historic building. The lobby is very nice and very historic looking. The hotel has hosted many US Presidents in its history which is cool. If you are a HHonors person and have stayed in the historic Chicago Hilton you will understand the once 700 room hotel now being in the 250s with regard to the layout of the rooms.

ROOM: It seems there are different room types and layouts. I had a very nice room on the 8th floor. It was complete wall of windows. Very large living area. OK bathroom. Great bedroom area. The view was so-so, but the natural light was fantastic.

This hotel does something I have never seen before: on the first day, I had a door tag that asked when I wanted my room made up each day. I put the time I preferred and stuck it in the hallway. Every day at that time, the room was cleaned. What a great idea...every hotel should do it.

There is a restaurant in the lobby called the Portland Prime. Nice. Good happy hour. Pleasant staff. Overpriced menu otherwise. Many many options around, and every happy hour is cheap. I really liked the Thirsty Lion around the corner.

A note to people interested in the Voodoo donuts. It is around the corner. Always a gigantic line. I had a donut and frankly I did not get the hype.

Green Features: It is Portland...recycle cans everywhere. The hotel seems to follow the city's desire to recycle and be Earth friendly.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
LeaveFromPA, thank you for the nice words about your stay and our hotel. I am so happy you were able to embrace the history of the Multnomah Hotel and enjoy the life of the city. Sounds like you did a lot while you were here and I hope to see you again for a future stay!
Olympia, United States
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel lobby had a very elegant look. The hotel restaurant was good. I recommend the ahi. Breakfast was good but somewhat bewildering. Rather than all food service being in the same place, food items were widely separated and it took a while to discover all of the options. Parking was strange. Even though the parking lot was directly across the street, because of one-way streets it actually required several blocks and three signals to get from the check-in temporary parking to the parking garage.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Your comment about the parking lot makes me giggle, Tim, because the one-way streets even confuse me! I hope you will come back and stay with us soon as you are now a seasoned Portland driver! Thank you for the review. :)
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Ridiculous 48 hour minimum cancellation notice or pay entire amount of the room plus tax. I paid $342 for one night in a room I was unable to stay in. I talked to two different individuals on the phone, both were rude and were pushing me to cancel my reservation so the hotel could, obviously, get paid twice for one room. I will never do business with this hotel again. I will never do business with the entire chain again.

Stayed July 2014
Micha, I am sorry you ran into some issues with our policies and I hope you will reconsider staying with us. Please contact us if you have questions or we can Make It Right for you. Thank you.