“You Will Never Go Wrong”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown
Ranked #18 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Phoenix, AZ
“You Will Never Go Wrong”
Reviewed 4 September 2009

I have stayed in this hotel at least 15 times in the last year. Every visit has been perfect. All of the front desk staff are so professional ( Hi Mia! ). Valet parkers and bellmen are so good. The rooms are huge and the beds are so comfortable. They normaly put me in a beautiful room on the corner. Housekeeping is great with nightly turn down service. One thing that has changed (not that it is big deal) room service is very limited. But the free breakfast is one of the best I have ever had. Be sure to check out Voodoo Donuts arcoss the street. Also if you are there during the weekend, go to Saturday Market. ( 2 blocks away) the last hold out to the Hippie Culture.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
seattle
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Pro: Nice room, separate bedroom with king bed and large screen tv, living room with sofa bed, fridge, in-room coffee. Adjacent restaurant, Kincaid's steakhouse is very nice, excellent happy hour (kobe meatloaf sliders and sweetpotato fries are very yummy - Sundays feature half price bottles of wine). Good location, walking distance to Pearl district, shopping, lots of restaurants. Breakfast is included.

Cons: Parking - Portland has war on drivers - meters run even on Sundays. So you have no choice but to either do valet parking at $28 a day plus valet tips or park in the garage across the street for $18 a day but with no in and out priveleges. At check in we were asked whether anyone else would be with us and when we said our college age dautghter would be coming in for the night (we were attending a wedding) we were immediately charged an additional $25 per night - the clerk explained that although we would not have been charged had our daughter been under 18 she is now an adultt so we were charged. Exact same need to make up the sofa bad but the clerk would not budge (hint" no matter how old your kids are - they are under 18 when you check in at the Embassy Suites. Our friends got a weekend deal at the Benson, for the same nights for $50 less per night whiich included breakfast and free parking. We were jealous.

2 Thank kerwriter
Granville, OH
Reviewed 14 August 2009

The Embassy Suites Downtown is in a remodeled historic hotel, lovely public rooms, very nice meeting space and helpful staff. The value added from the hot breakfast and the free happy hour is just teriffic. If you are planning a meeting this is a great location - if you are planning a personal visit it is also a great value.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
NJ(northern)
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I was out in Portland recently for a conference. I stayed 2 nights at the hotel and besides the excessive chlorine smell from the pool I found little to find fault with. Check in was friendly and was a breeze. My room on the 3rd floor was quiet , clean, and spacious. I had no problem with the shower height (I am 6' tall) or water pressure compared to the many other hotels I have stayed at over the years for business. The workout room was small but certainly functional enough for a short stay. The free breakfast had plenty of variety; I'm a cereal, fresh fruit, and omelette person and there were enough options. No, you aren't getting NYC bagels but it is certainly fine. There are plenty of restaurants, bars, and attractions within walking or MAX rail distance and being from NY, I found the transit very easy, clean and best of all, cheap! Portland is a very cool city so no matter what hotel you stay at, you really shouldn't be spending much time at the hotel anyway to sit and nitpick. If fancy is your thing with top of the line service, food, and ambiance, try the Bellagio in Vegas or Hyatt in Maui. But for Portland,OR, this hotel was more than acceptable. Would recommend and stay again if the situation arose. By the way, the line at Voodoo doughnuts can easily be 50 deep so have patience...definitely worth it!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Monterey, California
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I chose this property due to the location to the Pearl District, Darcelle's and the Chinese Gardens. ALL of this is VERY walkable. I'm 50-something, not in great shape and I had no problem getting around at all! Upon arriving, we were greeted by the very friendly and helpful valet ( we got the corner King suite w/ valet parking and Chinese Garden pkg. ~ great deal IMHO ). The receptionist were extremely friendly and even told us that we could check in early if we didn't mind getting the suite with the lesser view, but if we could wait until 4pm, which is check-in time, she would see that we got the better one. We opted to wait and our view was pretty good. It's only of the street, neighboring buildings and trees, but it was OK with us. Our room was 410 and immediately out our door was the door to the fire escape exit, which is really a cool balcony and was lovely to go out on in the morning and have my coffee and watch people walk by.

The lobby is really beautiful. Very old movie style decor. Our room was nice enough, plenty of room, for sure. A flat screen TV in both the bedroom and the living room. Housekeeping couldn't have been better. Always a smile and very helpful. We drink TONS of coffee and they always had plenty for us! The elevators were nice and fast, and the breakfast was pretty good. I don't often find fresh spinach and mushrooms for omelets in this kind of place. They were made to order and quite good. The pool, IMHO, was gross!!! It's indoor and smelled STRONGLY of chlorine. Kids seemed to enjoy it though. Off of the breakfast are is a small game room, which looked like fun.

The restaurant on site is Kincaids and was good. The bartenders, TJ and blonde Mike were great. Try the fish taco or the mochatini...excellent.

There are tons of little bars in the area and a few have video poker, which my husband won about $1,200 over the week we were there! Beware, however, at night, the 20-somethings are EVERYWHERE and really do the " pub crawl..." Ah...those were the days. LOL

All in all, I enjoyed my stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank foxyteacher
Juneau, AK
Reviewed 4 August 2009

To celebrate my retirement, my wife and I spent the weekend at this hotel in August 2009. I cashed in some points and by virtue of my Diamond status, was checked into a suite on the Mezzanine level of this remodeled gem. The layout of the room was a bit funky, as might be expected in a renovation project. It was a "great room" with an elevated (three steps up) sleeping area that was enclosed by an approx. 5-foot high pony wall. Also there was a conference table with 8 chairs on the "main" level - made me want to call an attorney and have my will prepared! Overall, the room was impressive. My only comment is that the bathroom was a bit small, but perfectly serviceable for the two of us.

We flew in from Seattle and took the MAX train (Red Line) to the hotel. I was impressed with the ease of this way of getting back and forth from the airport. Good planning on the airport authority and transit agency's part. You get your bags, buy your tickets, and then it's an easy walk to the light rail platform. For the two of us it was $4.60 to get to the hotel (a pair of two-hour, all-zone tickets) - you'd never match that in a cab or shuttle service. It took the better part of an hour but time was not an issue and it was a pleasant ride. Get off at the 1st and Oak station and walk three easy blocks to the hotel. You can also get off at Skidmore Fountain (the stop before 1st and Oak as you come in from the airport), I believe the walking distances to the hotel are about equal. 1st and Oak may be marginally closer. On another day during our visit we took the train to the county fair in Hillsboro, which was free to get in to (best deal going).

I went to the gym on the LL1 level one morning. It was well outfitted with three treadmills, two elliptical machines, and a recumbent bike. Plus free weights up to 50 pounds. The pool was down there, too.

Breakfast and the manager's reception are on level LL2. The two left-most elevators are the only ones that go to this level, so remember that when you want to indulge yourself of the manager's beneficence or have your morning meal.

Laundry facilities are on the second floor. $1.25 to wash and $1.00 to dry. There are a pair of both machines. The driers are hot! Wireless internet was $9.95 a day.

As has been noted in other posts, the hotel is located near many attractions, e.g., Portland Saturday Market (a must to go see and partake) and Voodoo Doughnuts (I left my pancreas in Portland). I agree with a previous poster that this property is not in the greatest part of town but its proximity to MAX and the utter walkability of downtown Portland offset that feature, IMHO. The whole downtown area is well patrolled by police and other security officers. Bottom line: We felt safe.

While I was grateful to have received an upgraded room, it was located next to one of the meeting rooms which just happened to be the site of a wedding reception one evening of our stay. Things got loud around midnight and had we been assigned to a suite further away from the reception room, noise would not have been an issue. So caveat emptor if you get upgraded to one of the mezzanine suites - ask if it is located next to a meeting room and if so, if there are any evening parties planned for the meeting room during your stay. If a party is planned, see if you can get moved to another suite - unless you like being woken up by partygoers.

All in all, we were quite happy with our stay. I would stay here again on my next visit to Portland.

1 Thank dave1013
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Wow, I felt safe staying here with the excellent reviews this place had. I knew that I wouldn't like the old fashion style of the decor, but I was overall dissppointed with my stay. The location is not very good, far from Peral Dist. far from shopping. This used to be the old Multinomah Hotel. This is a really, really old hotel and it shows despite the recent renovations. The carpeting is really old and dirty. The bathroom was fairly clean and renovated. The water pressure of the shower was less than desirable at most. The 2 double beds were very small, almost twin sizes. I was afraid my kids would fall off at night. The suite was very spacious, but old fashioned and dirty carpeting. If you like sleek modern styles, this hote is not for you. The manager's reception was a joke, carrots, dip, chips, crackers, drinks. Don't bother. Free breakfast was not bad, good selection, not bad quality for being free. If you like old queen ann style you may like this hotel, especially if you are not too picky. Pool was okay, the bathroom near the pool and dining were out of service during our entire stay. Really surprised at all the good reviews. I would not stay here again, even for free. Seriously.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family