“Nice hotel, excellent location”

Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #30 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Federal Way, Washington, United States
“Nice hotel, excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Second stay at property, 1st since changed from Hotel 50 to Rose. Nicely updated older boutique property has a European feel.

Room and bath were small but clean, modern and well designed. Ask for an exterior facing room if view is important to you. Nice amenities.

Restaurant-bar was undergoing a renovation while we were there but open.

Staff is cheerful and helpful. Secure hotel parking was reasonably priced at $20/ day.

The location at the corner of Naito Pkway and Morrison is absolutely killer for walking distance to everything downtown.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bt2058
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Good morning bt2058,
Thank you for your very nice review of our hotel. It's great that you were able to take advantage of our fantastic location, great view, lowest parking rate in town, and fantastic staff. I hope you are able to stay with us again when our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen have been completed. It's going to be spectacular.
Thank you bt2058. We are looking forward to seeing you back very soon.
Terry Hanley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Korean first
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We got a decent deal on this hotel from Travelzoo. The deal came with free self-parking and bikes. We did use the parking but passed on the bikes. We arrived a bit early and were able to get into our room. Great! When we went into the room there was a very strong smoke odor. Then the bathroom was very smelly as well. We soon found out that the toilet was clogged. It actually was continuously not working right and my husband got friendly with the plunger closet in the hall. No biggie, just annoying. The room was decently sized and had everything we needed. I loved the free Keurig coffee in room. As others have stated the shower/ bathroom situation is odd. No doors really...kinda bizarre, so the floor gets soaked from the shower.
We did eat a complementary pineapple cupcake which is more like a tiny little muffin, and I tried to get coffee in the lobby but it was all out.
I did like the Tommy Bahama bath products and the makeup remover. This hotel was a great location with easy access to downtown and bridges to other parts of town.
The best part about this room was the BED. So comfortable.
We found the room temperature to be hot and the air was not working right so we had to open a window. It was a bit noisy at times. The restaurant was open but was under construction so we did not dine there.
We would stay here again for the price we paid, but there were several flaws I would hope are just flukes.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Good morning Meredith S,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We truly appreciate your feedback.
I was pleased to hear you enjoyed our great bed, afternoon pineapple cupcakes, and Tommy Bahama amenities. I was disappointed to read you had housekeeping/plumbing issues and do apologize for that. Your comments have been passed on to our housekeeping manager and engineer for follow up.
Thank you again Meredith S and we look forward to having you stay with us again very soon.
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

This is an older hotel that has had a thorough modernization. Our room was small but well-designed to take advantage of the space available. For example, the closet door slides over to become the bathroom door when you need privacy. Love the one-shot coffee machine, would have liked to have more coffee pods available. If you're travelling with a dog, it's right across the street from the park and a lovely walk along the riverside. Also great for joggers. It is right on the MAX line, but we didn't have any problems with noise from either that or other rooms and slept very well. Although it's easy to find it can be tricky to get to, so if you're not familiar with Portland we suggest getting directions so you don't end up on the Morrison bridge.

Room Tip: The "Mural View" rooms, although they only look out onto a parking lot, are quieter than t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Good morning bend395,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I was happy to hear you enjoyed our great location and room amenities! Being so close to the center of town and right across the street from the park is hard to beat. It's also great for your 4 legged friends.
Thank you again bend395. We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Great location and clean comfortable room. The restaurant and bar are still under construction but the food and service were good. Took advantage of the free bikes and had a wonderful time riding up and Dow the waterfront. Only disappointment was when the self parking lot was full and the valet would not park my car because had not originally signed up for valet service. Not exactly pineapple service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Good afternoon Steve P,
Thank you for your comments from your recent stay at Hotel Rose. I was pleased to hear that most of your stay was enjoyable but disappointed to hear we missed on the valet parking side. Please accept my sincere apologies. We take your comments very seriously and have reviewed the situation with the person involved so that we can improve future experiences.
I was happy to hear you enjoyed the bar and can't wait for you to see the new "Bottle + Kitchen" that will be finished in late May.
Thank you Steve P. We hope to see you back very soon.
Marysville, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

You absolutely cannot beat the location of this hotel, as it is literally a stone's throw away from the Morrison St Bridge - in fact our room actually overlooked the onramp! It was noisier than the place we usually stay near Lloyd's Center, but this was a much better price for a weekend stay. And we were too tired at night to notice the noise anyway.

I will say that the complimentary breakfast definitely leaves something to be desired - however the appetizers in the bar are spectacular. And why would you eat breakfast in your hotel when you're in Portland, anyway? Way too many great places to eat to stress about that.

The beds were comfy, the tv worked and the water for the shower was hot (though the whole shower setup is great for getting water all over the floor, and there was no bathroom fan). For the price we paid and the location, we would definitely stay there again, but it would have to be under $75 to consider it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Good afternoon e_utz,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your time at Hotel Rose. Feedback is important to us as it helps us make improvements so that we at our best moving forward. I have passed your comments on to our chef regarding the continental breakfast. I was happy to hear that our great beds and steller location worked out for you.
Thank you e_utz. We hope to see you back very soon.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Spent 3 nights in February. Rooms were clean and well set up. Hotel staff were friendly and very helpful. I especially want to mention, Jamie, front desk staff. Our room had a nice city view and we could see Mt. St Helens off North in the distance. The river walk was right across the street which made it easy to get our exercise. The light rail line is 1 block away. The happy hour is worth a visit and we got a complementary breakfast during our stay since the restaurant was undergoing remodeling. The blanket duvet with no top sheet was too warm for me and I asked for an extra sheet and used the extra blanket supplied in the closet. I would recommend that the hotel stock some flat sheets for requests from people like me since they only had fitted sheets.

Room Tip: Higher floors on river or city side.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James S
Good afternoon James S,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay and particularily your encounter with Jamie! We always love hearing about our valued associates. I was also happy to hear you enjoyed our great location, guest rooms, and breakfast. We hope you can make it back in June when our new restaurant, Bottle + Kitchen will be opening. I also want to let you know that we are looking at different options on our bed top configuration and your suggetion is at the top of the list.
Thank you again James S. We hope to see you back at Hotel Rose in the very near future.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip for 5 days. Right by the river, centrally located in Portland's downtown. I stayed at the 5th floor with views onto the river, which were lovely. Rooms are spacious and modern, mattress has very good sleep quality. The updated contemporary bathrooms have no tub but a half-glassed in shower with shampoo, conditioner, soap dispensers on the wall. The Staff was super friendly and helpful and made the stay comfortable. I got good advice for restaurants in walking distance. There is a small gym which is adequate for a couple of days. The restaurant H50 was under constructions but I did not want to venture out into the rain, so I had a meal one night that was very good bistro food. Once the construction is done this will be a fine little restaurant. Minor negatives: the breakfast can use some improvement, not a very good selection of breakfast foods and quality is lacking. The restaurant was not open for breakfast due to construction. Since I stayed 5 nights it did matter that I had to request every day an evening sheet for the morning room service. The cleaning was not done properly each day, cups with tea bag in them were left, towels not straighten or changed. Otherwise the room was very clean. There is train noise at night, I did use my earplug and then it was fine. It's a great little hotel and I will be back.I took advantage of the March special which was the right price point. I had a very comfortable time and really liked the hotel and considering booking again on my next trip, if there are more specials.

Room Tip: Stay at the 4 or 5th floor and choose a room with river view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Good afternoon Sunki,
Thank you so much for your very positive survey. We truly do appreciate your comments and love that you enjoyed our hotel so much. We believe we have the best location in town, along with the most comfortable bed in the hotel industry. Thank you for recognizing our great team of associates that we are so proud of!
Thank you agian Sunki. I hope your travels bring you back to our fine city very soon.