“Can't wait to return to Hotel Rose!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel

Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #29 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Phoenix, Arizona
“Can't wait to return to Hotel Rose!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

My spring break Oregon trip started in Portland at the Hotel Rose. I had the most incredible river view from my room! The hotel was in walking distance from the Portland attractions that I had read about in my guide books and wanted to go to - Powell's Bookstore, VooDoo Doughnut, and the downtown food carts - my favorite being The Frying Scotsman (best fish and chips EVER!) - and Huber's restaurant, known for serving a full Thanksgiving meal every day, and for their amazing Spanish coffee, served flaming tableside. However, I found myself dining in the hotel bistro/bar two of the three nights of my stay. The food was fabulous (the biggest oysters I've ever seen - I had to cut them in half!), the atmosphere cozy (a warm fire burning in the fireplace), the view incredible, and the service from the bartender/bar manager - the BEST! She was so friendly and welcoming. One night I wanted to go to a wine bar to do a wine tasting, and she said "Let's do our own wine tasting!" So I had my own wine tasting right there, and it was fabulous, along with another great meal! It was obvious that many regulars come in to visit with Cora, in addition to the wonderful food and ambiance. All of the hotel staff were so friendly and helpful - whether I needed more creamer in my room, a bag of ice for my sore knee, or walking directions to places of interest. When I return to Portland, it will be to the Hotel Rose!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the river view - GORGEOUS! Beautiful geese in the park below, barges and canoes...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Good afternoon RockerChic57,
What a great reveiw of our hotel. Thank you! Your trip sounds like it went perfectly, visiting all the fun places Portland has to offer and spending some quality time at our hotel. Cora is fantastic and I'm happy you had a chance to meet her and enjoy her hospitality. Our restaurant, bar, and lobby remodel will be done very soon and that will only enhance your future experiences.
Thank you again RockerChic57. Please come back and see us soon.
Terry Hanley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Dumpy hotel with a nice river view in an area rampant with homelessness and open drug and alcohol abuse, nothing cool, hipster, or retro about this place. Old , dumpy, and dirty describes it best, no ceiling in lobby, restaurant closed, and outdated rooms with filthy carpets and wall paper and cheap linens. Should be completely closed until updated and renovations compete. Never ever again. Sorry

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank twice_as_nice
Good afternoon twice_as_nice,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I apologize that we did not meet you expectations during your time in Portland. I do hope you will come and see us again once the restaurant and lobby remodel is done in late May. It's going to be very nice.
General Manager,
N Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Stayed here 3 nights in March, staff was nicer than most, location was absolutely perfect for catching the Max to get to conference at Lloyd Center Doubletree, lots of shopping and restaurants nearby, best part though is the Cruiser bikes, we rode up and down both sides of the river, it was a blast. The room was nice, really enjoyed the Ipod docking station with the optional sounds of rain or birds etc. Restaurant was under renovation but food was great, (tomato bisque). I would love to go back. Got a great deal on Priceline, <$100.

Room Tip: Room facing the river, as high up as possible!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Good morning LErbb,
Thank you for your great reveiw of Hotel Rose. We truly do appreciate it.
I was happy to read that you enjoyed all the great amenites we have to offer, our ideal location, and our team of hospitality professionals. Portland has so many fun things to see and do and our location can't be beat.
Thank you again LErbb. We hope to see you back very soon.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

This is the third Pineapple Hospitality property I have stayed at. Disappointing from the start.I pulled up to be immediately "upsold" on baker parking because there are no handicap accessible parking spots to self park. I have not had this experience at the other properties. The property is under serious renovation. I booked a double queen and was placed in a double room. I asked for an accessible room. It turns out this hotel is not at all accessible. Staff was friendly enough. Might be with trying again in six months or a year, but for now it fails to meet the standards set at the other properties.

Room Tip: Waterfront has a great view, but traffic is very noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Good morning gpwhisperer,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your comments are truley valued as they help us improve our services. I do apologize that we did not exceed your expectations while handling your parking needs. Your comments have been shared with our Front Office Manager and the valet parking team. We also appreciate your patience while we make improvements to our restaurant and lobby. It will be done very soon and is going to be spectacular.
Thank you again gpwhisperer. We hope to see you again soon.
University Place, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I'm guessing this is why I found this hotel on groupon. We are staying in the hotel rose for Wednesday night and Thursday night and was woken up bright and early to drilling directly below my room which sounded like it was coming through the floor. Being as I'm on vacation I was looking forward to sleeping in, but they allow construction and don't bother to tell the guests whom will hear it as and alarm clock. According to the front desk they allow construction during normal business hours (beginning at 9am sharp). This would have been something I would have found useful for them to inform me of about my stay. The girl at the front desk was helpful, yet did not empathize with my desire to sleep and I was told that construction is allowed during business hours and after a bit of a fuss, got the valet free for 2 days. I would rather sleep in for 2 days, but, seeing as I didn't even know I was going to be charged for the valet (which is thinly option available if you don't want to pay to park on the street) I will take the wake up over the extra fees.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alex T
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Good evening Alex T,
Thank you for your comments from your recent stay. I sincerely apologize that our restaurant renovation impacted your stay. Our goal is to do the project the most effecient way with little or no impact to our guests. We thought a 9:00AM start would take care of any noise issues but obviously not, and I am sorry. We will definitately revisit this with our contractor next week. I hope you have the opportunity to return when it's all done as it will be a terrific space.
Thank you Alex T. We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.
Jacksonville, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

First plus? This small hotel has a great location. The front street riverfront with its beautiful walkway is on one side while the max line stops 1/2 a block away. Be sure to ask for a river view; however, ask for 3rd floor or higher as front street is noisy. The back side without the view is very quiet. The north side rooms have balconies that look over Morrison bridge on-ramp. Again, ask for upper floor. 2nd plus is the bar. Friendly and comfortable with a out of ordinary bar menu. If you want buffalo wings, walk a block to Rockport Brewery. Finally their complimentary breakfast was unexpectedly luxurious. Eggs Benedict ... Fruit... Pastries .. Bagels ... Lox... Oatmeal ... Etc. (not sure if this was because the river view restaurant was under construction?) The one drawback was the $20 parking fee. This location has seen many owners over the past 30 years. I've never had to pay for parking til now.

• Stayed February 2014
Good afternoon piratejani,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It sounds like you had a great time and took advantage of our fantastic location. I was also happy to hear you enjoyed breakfast and your bar experience. We are currently renovating the bistro so watch for our new Bottle + Kitchen that will be open in June. It's going to be very cool!
Thank you piratejani. I hope your travels brings you back very soon.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

First times staying with this hotel, stayed November 2-6th 2013. Had a some problems along the way, but Molly's service and her efforts to rectify these issues is what stood out in our overall experience. She made extra efforts to help us leave feeling that we had a positive overall experience. It was how her service and attitude stood out over the issues that would have me stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Good afternoon rachel c,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We truly appreciate your feedback.
I apologize that you had some issues while you were here, but was happy to hear Molly was able to resolve them for you. She is one of our star associates.
It also pleases me that you will stay with us again. I know it will be an enjoyable time.