“Hotel Rose...up and coming”

Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #33 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We are just leaving Hotel Rose after a 3-night stay. When we checked in, we were unpleasantly surprised to see that they were in the process of tearing up their front lobby for remodel. Thankfully we weren't affected by it during our stay, but I was bummed to miss their happy hour they speak of on their website (free coffee and pineapple cupcakes...what??). Our first room was facing the parking lot (we booked thru Priceline so go figure) and was just not a good set up inside...They ended up giving us a room on the top floor facing the water, which was very nice. The bed was super comfortable and the rooms have been upgraded nicely. All of the staff were very friendly too. Also, they have complimentary bike rentals to ride around town. Overall our stay was fine and we'd be willing to stay there again. It's in a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the water. Higher floors = less noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Good afternoon LO SD,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Hotel Rose. Your feedback is important to us. I was happy to hear you enjoyed our great location and bike program. We also appreciate your patience while we put the finishing touches on our remodel. I'm happy that you will be staying with us again so you can see the final results. It's going to be spectacular!!
Thank you LO SD. We hope to see you soon.
Terry Hanley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is the worst hotel experience I have had since staying in hostels in Europe in college. I thought I was getting a deal though a TravelZoo offer, but we are going on our third night with limited sleep because of how noisy this poorly built hotel is. The train tracks are right outside, and run from 4 am until midnight! Not to mention inconsiderate guests who have stumbled around yelling around midnight and excessive construction and hotel crews who add to the noise by things like taking out the trash at 5 am. The walls, windows and doors are not sound proofed whatsoever so you hear every single thing anywhere in and around the property. This is the first time I've been so disappointed by a TravelZoo deal, and I would definitely not recommend this property.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Reema M

Good afternoon Reema M,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly appreciate your feedback.
I am sorry that you found our location noisy. We will review our procedures to see where we can make improvements for furture visitors. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed our location and service.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I had a nice 4 night stay at Hotel Rose last week. The room was clean and very comfy with a large flat screen TV. I liked the shampoo/bath gel stuff, especially since the hotel uses wall dispensers (less mess, less package waste, less junk for my husband to put in the suitcase). The hotel is along the river walk by the Morrison Bridge, which is a great location to walk to the Saturday market, shopping, restaurants, and food carts. We also borrowed hotel bikes one day, which was a great feature. People around town LOVE those bikes.

Hotel Rose has some down sides too. Our room overlooked hotel parking and the front desk and restaurant are under construction. I didn't find these things to be a big deal. We could hear the MAX light rail come by but it wasn't too distracting, and we couldn't hear anyone in the adjoining rooms or hallway which was more important to me. Valet parking is available but the hotel self-park is a few bucks cheaper.

We really liked the room, staff, and location so I'll stay at Hotel Rose in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Good evening MS319,
Thank you for your most favorable comments regarding your recent stay with us. We do love our bikes in Portland and I am pleased you took advantage of our complimentary bike program here at our hotel. I am also pleased you enjoyed our great location and Tommy Bahama guest room amenites. They are very popular with our guests.
Thank you MS319. We truly appreciate your comments and hope to see you back at Hotel Rose very soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

When I checked into this place, I already had a good deal on a nice room with a good view.... What I didn't realize is that the street cars finish late at night and start 4 hours later....

I asked the front desk for a quieter room knowing that an inside room was the choice....

When I got back from lunch, the hotel switched my room but to my surprise, they upgraded me to a waterfront / park view....

Even though the hotel is going through renovations, they have most helpful, most accommodating and very easy to deal with....

When I visit Portland again, this is my hotel of choice....

FYI.... This hotel is undergoing renovations.... I didn't mind it and reading the hotel website clearly states that renovations are underway so I knew what to expect when I got there....

Room Tip: If you can sleep through the streetcars, you'll be fine in any room.... If you are a light sleep...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Good afternoon Edward A,
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was pleased to hear you had such an enjoyable time. We apprecite your patience while we make improvements to our lobby and restaurant and do hope you will return soon to see the final product. It's going to be great!
Thank you again Edward A. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We were excited to spend two nights last week, especially considering the Groupon we found online. The location was wonderful, allowing me to walk along the river each morning and then later walking downtown to shop and eat. The problem was the remodel. The entire lobby was gone and in its place black plastic hiding the work in progress. The bar/restaurant wasn't cozy and there was no place just to chill. There wan't any mention of the remodel inconveniences. The room was very nice and the river/bridge view was breathtaking. It was however, pretty noisy early morning when the train whistles awoke us and the traffic began. Best perk- Free bikes! Loved this and used them to explore the city. My 12 year old had a blast!Free mini cupcakes in the afternoon but I think they should be rose(Hotel Rose) flavored instead of pineapple (Pineapple Hospitality) I'm sure when its done, it will be very nice.

Room Tip: River view worth it but expect some noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Good afternoon SantaCruzan,
Thank you for your nice comments regarding you recent stay. I was very pleased that you were able to take advantage of our great location, complimentary bikes, and delicious pineapple cupcakes. It was also nice to hear that your 12 year old enjoyed their stay. Our remodel is getting close to being done and I'm sorry that it was inconvenient for you. I hope you come back and try us again once we're done. It's going to be spectacular.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

My lovin' hubby and I set off on yet another one of our road trips, this time from San Francisco to Portland and back. The Hotel Rose was the place we chose to stay in Portland, based on TripAdvisor reviews combined with a deal on Priceline. The hotel is centrally located in Downtown Portland, which much like our hometown San Francisco is experiencing a "Homeless Epidemic". We discovered that the first night we went out on foot in search of dinner and drinks. We also discovered a lovely restaurant called The Lotus Cafe and Cardroom, and later a great dive bar called the Yamhill Pub for shots.Thus we established a love / hate relationship with Downtown Portland.When we got back to the hotel I was happy that we had spent the extra $20/day to have the car "Valet Parked" which equates to a 20' walk for the Valet and extra security for your parked car (because the Valet lot is right in front of the front door as opposed to the Open lot 1 floor downstairs).

The room was bright and clean (but very WARM) with complimentary bottled water (handy for day hikes), mini-fridge (good for leftovers) and individual cup coffee-maker. We immediately opened the windows and reset the heater. Later, we found out the room just stays warm, no matter what the setting on the heater. The open windows fixed the problem, but created a problem of their own: NOISE.Two different Streetcar lines run right next to the hotel (We had a "City" view). There is also a train that runs very close to the hotel, you can hear it's whistle at 3am as it goes by. I couldn't stand it on our third night and closed the windows, but when that streetcar comes by you can hear the rumble through the walls. It reminded me of the Lucy episode when they stay in a hotel right on the train tracks.
The walk-in shower looked great, but performed horribly. Every time we took a shower the bathroom floor amassed an 1/8 of an inch in water. Therefor we had to use all the towels supplied to mop up the mess, what a chore!! I can't believe no one has slipped or electrocuted themselves while drying their hair.I think the trouble lies with the arm hole cut into the shower wall, if they installed some kind of sliding door, it would improve the condition immensely. The TV did not have HBO,etc which would have been nice to watch while we ate our room service breakfast; which arrived on time and happily still warm, Service at the hotel was fine both at the desk, room service, and valet. The restaurant and bar were closed for remodeling during our stay. All in all an "okay" stay, but I think we'll try another spot next time we visit.

Room Tip: Avoid the "City View" rooms and try to get a River View room, that may be quieter.
1  Thank Parmsbuddy

Good afternoon Parmsbuddy,
Thank you for your comments from your recent stay with us. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed our great location and amenities. I will pass on your comments regarding the shower configuration to our chief engineer for review. I'm sorry you could find HBO on our television. We do carry it on channel 35. We are almost done with our renovation so I do hope you will try us again when everything is complete. Your feedback is very important so thank you for sharing

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The hotel sits right on the river downtown, and is located on the public transit line. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. Arrived and everything was clean. Nice big walk-in shower in the bathroom. Small things like complimentary internet and bottled water as well as a friendly and helpful staff make it a good value for the money as well.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tim B
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Hello Tim B,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly do apprecite your comments.
I am happy to hear you had a great time and took advantage of our fantastic location, complimentary amenities, and great staff. Hopefully next time you can sample our pineapple cupcakes and coffee served daily from 3 - 7 PM.
Thank you Tim B. We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.