“Perfect hotel experience”

Ranked #30 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Annapolis, Maryland
“Perfect hotel experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed at the Rose for a conference, Saturday through Monday nights in mid-June. Everything about this hotel was great, especially for the price. The location was ideal, the room was very comfortable (think Westin), and the staff were efficient, friendly and knowledgeable about the local area. A nice touch for Portland: there was an umbrella in the room. Having read reviews, I was concerned about noise at night, but I didn't find that to be a problem. The restaurant and bar are excellent, but if you want something different there are plenty of great places within a block or two. The only disappointment I experienced was that the restaurant (and room service) didn't open until 7 am on Sunday. If you need breakfast earlier on the weekend, you'll be walking a couple of blocks to Starbuck's for a mediocre bagel.

Hotel Rose is a big step up from the typical chain hotel experience.

1 Thank Richard D
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Good evening Richard D,
Thank you for your nice review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and will pass your comments on to our team! We have just opened our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen and will definitely review our opening hours on the weekends.
Thank You again Richard D. We hope you return to Portland and Hotel Rose very soon.
Terry Hanley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have called 4+ times to sort out different issues with my bill for the hotel room and it still isn't correct and they refuse to call me back. VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.
If you do HAVE to stay here, I recommend confirming every, I mean every, item on your bill the night before. I had to catch a flight the next morning, and they said they would send my bill electronically. They did, after a few days, but have been terrible at helping resolve issues remotely.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank E W
Good evening E W,
I am so sorry to hear about your billing issues that have clearly left you frustrated. Please accept my sincere apologies. I would love to help. Please call me anytime at 503-484-1401 and let's get this resolved.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

The location does not get better: very close to the Willamette River, and within easy walking distance of many major attractions (Powells, various doughnuts, Pioneer Square, and so on). My only complaint is that the hotel can be noisy at night: slamming doors and loud chatting from adjacent rooms, or heavy steps from the floor above. But the staff is nice and the restaurant is pretty good. This is a perfectly fine hotel: not the best, not the worst, perfectly fine.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Good evening Jeffrey C,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm happy that you enjoyed our great team of hospitality professionals and that our location worked out so well for you. It is perfect!
I was disappointed that noise was an issue for you, and I do apologize. We are always looking for ways to make improvements based on our guests feedback. We will review options with our engineering team to see if we can make a difference.
Thank you Jeffrey C. We hope you return very soon.
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

My stay at the Hotel Rose came at the end of a vacation road trip through the back country of Washington state. After countless miles of breathtaking scenery, I was ready for a break and some serious creature comforts. Hotel Rose didn't disappoint. My room was nicely appointed and very comfortable -- especially the king bed which had two king-sized, DOWN-FILLED pillows instead of the ridiculous assortment of undersized, prison-quality pillows that the hospitality industry seems to have adopted as its standard. Beyond the impressive comfort and conveniences of the room, I found the staff to be warm and welcoming, especially in the restaurant, and the food was excellent. Being located directly across the street from the Waterfront Parkway was a nice bonus. My stay was an experience well beyond my expectations and one I hope will not be my last.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank sacrbartlett
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Hello Sacrbartlett,
Thank you for your fantastic review. I am so pleased that you found us and that you had such a great time! Our beds are the best in the industry and I could not agree with you more about the pillows. They are such an important piece of a good nights sleep. We just opened our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen so it's great that you were able to try it and enjoyed it so much. We have a great team that is anxious to please, along with very tasty food.
Thanks again Sacrbartlett. We hope to see you back in the very near future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed our two night stay in Portland. The staff were really friendly and went out of their way to be helpful whether it was finding a corkscrew for me or fresh milk for my daughter's tea. The floor in the restaurant was a little startling and the menu a bit fussy but ooverall a good stay. The hotel is well placed for all that Portland has offer and our room had a nice river view.

1 Thank Sandracpotter
Good evening Sandracpotter,
Thank you for your nice review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time here and that our team took good care of you. Our location is perfect and our hospitality experts are the best.
Hopefully your travels will have you back in our fine city very soon.
Forks, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I recently came to Portland (him on business me for pleasure) and we decided to stay at the hotel rose. After reading some of the reviews on tripadvisor I was a little worried about what we had gotten ourselves into and we talked about canceling and changing hotels. I’m so glad we didn’t. Our experience at the Hotel rose was one of the Best. I was worried that there would still be renovations going on but when we arrived the hotel was faultless and the Bottl+Kitchen Restaurant was the icing on the cake so to speak.

We arrived at the hotel around 12:30 AM and I was a little worried that no one would be there (Coming from a small town) but Crystal at the front desk was happy to assist us. She made the check in process fun and easy. She told us of a few places nearby to eat that stayed open late and even a few pizza places that would still deliver.

The room which was a room with a king bed facing the water on the 5th floor was very nice. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very up to date. I realized that I had forgotten to bring my toothbrush and called down to the front desk. I was happy when Crystal answered the phone and told me she would be more than happy to deliver one to the room for me. It took her no time at all.

Breakfast in the morning in the restaurant was perfect. One reason I came to Portland was for the food and shopping but after breakfast that first day it was hard to eat anywhere else. Plus the staff in restaurant although seemed a little flustered where very friendly and accommodating.

The location of the hotel is also perfect. Not very far from anything you may need. Plus with free bikes and nice valet staff to help you with directions how could you go wrong.

Anyways all and all The Hotel Rose was amazing from the staff, to the room and the location. When we return to Portland we will DEFFINATLYY be staying here again. Only next time we will plan to stay longer than just two nights.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I’m not sure what the hotel/Restaurant looked like before the renovation but I was blown away. It has a very quirky vibe and as far as I can tell is very Portland.

Room Tip: Pick a water front room. It has an amazing view.
2 Thank Small_Town_Girl42004
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hello Small_Town_Girl,
Thank you for the great reveiw of our hotel. We are so pleased that you had such a nice time while in Portland. I was happy to hear that Crystal and the rest of the team were a highlight of you visit. We love to hear that!! I was also pleased that you were able to try our new restaurant, Bottle + Kitchen. We are very excited to have it up and running, along with our new lobby. We have more good things coming later on this year!
Thanks again Small_Town_Girl. We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.
Warm Regards,
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

This had a very nice room layout. There was a big open desk space with a power strip right on it, without a ton of random stuff in the way so you could actually set up your laptop. There was a Keurig coffee maker in the room and the bed was comfortable. It has been newly renovated so everything still looks very nice and new.

They must not have used the right kind of window glass or wall insulation, because any time a truck goes by the entire room rumbles and is loud. The hotel is located right next to a bridge on-ramp, so this happens pretty much all day long. We heard people stomping around above us as well, but that wasn't nearly as bad as the rumbling from trucks accelerating onto the ramp. It was basically impossible to sleep past 6:30 in the morning once rush hour started, even with my laptop playing white noise loudly.

The thermostat in the rooms were also miscalibrated or something. We had two rooms (we tried moving after the first night to make the sound situation better) and both of them I couldn't keep the room anywhere around 70-76. The thermostat was just an analog dial, and if you set it to 70 the room stayed about 80. If you set it to 65 the room stayed at like 60.

If you could fall asleep in the middle of a Harley convention you might be OK with the noise, but otherwise I would find somewhere quieter.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms are much quieter because they aren't on the on-ramp side. The view is a littl...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Drooo
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Good morning Droo,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Hotel Rose. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious guest rooms, Keurig coffee maker, and that you like our newly renovated lobby and restaurant. We have more great things coming in the fall! I was sorry to hear that the city noise was an issue. We love our location but unfortunately the proximity to the city comes with this opportunity. Fortunately there are many area's of the property that are great for people sensitive to noise.
Thank you again Droo. I do hope we see you back at Hotel Rose very soon.