“Good location”

Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #33 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Great location just opposite the waterfront but that does mean it's about 10 minute walk to the centre of town. The hotel tries to be a bit boutique and quirky and has some interesting decor. When I was there, the restaurant was closed for renovations so only a very limited room service was available so I can't comment on the food. Pluses - location, spacious rooms, reasonable internet connection. There is free bike rental, though the bikes are big old single gear cruisers - not much use for anything except a quick ride around the river.

The main reason for marking down was the proximity to the tram line - every time a tram went by, it was very noisy - trams run late into the night and start quite early. Parking was not cheap, though this seems to be the theme in Portland.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Good afternoon ynperth,
Thank you for your recently posted review. I'm happy you enjoyed our great location but disappointed you didn't get a chance to try our new restaurant that opened in early June, Bottle+Kitchen. Hopefully your travels will bring you back to Portland soon and you can give it a try then. It really is fantastic.
Thank you ynperth. We hope you return soon.
Terry Hanley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here to nights while on a vacation solo. This hotel has recently been remodeled and renamed (previously the Hotel Fifty). Absolutely perfect location right on the waterfront.

The staff is very helpful, particularly the valet (Brandon), who went out of his way to provide special treatment for my electric car. EVers note, they have 2 Blink chargers.

The room is a decent size, but not huge with a comfortable bed and a large flat screen TV. The coffee maker is a trendy Koenig. The decor is hipster modern that seemed strange to me at first, but now I like it.

The hotel has a pleasant looking restaurant & bar as well as room service, but I did not use them, so I cannot rate them.

I got a discounted room rate of $215 which was quite competitive for this time of year.

The only negative is some street noise, particularly from the street car. You could ask for a room on the other side. It did not bother me.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Hello bike12345,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. It sounds like your stay in Portland was enjoyable. I was happy to hear you liked our superb location, great room, and our team of hospitality experts, including Branden. I will pass your comments on to him! Just FYI, we were the first hotel in Oregon to have electric car charging stations so I'm pleased they were helpful.
Thanks bike12345. We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We booked this room on hotwire and travel quite a bit for both work and personal reasons. We stayed for three nights last week and were not disappointed with this property. Location was great, easy walk anywhere down town and an easy walk over the Morrison bridge to visit one of the many breweries on that side of the river. It was our anniversary and our room had two double beds (my boyfriend is 6'5" so does not fit well on double beds), however we did not ask for another room with a king bed as the room had a balcony which we enjoyed. The beds were very comfortable.
We found the staff very friendly, got a recommendation for dinner from one of the girls at the front desk and visited the Bottle & Kitchen a couple times (don't miss the happy hour oysters and shrimp cocktail!). Overall we would not hesitate to stay here again.

1  Thank Love_2_Travel568
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Hello Love_2_ Travel568,
Thank you for the nice review of our hotel. It's so fun to read these when the experience has been so enjoyable. I am pleased that you were able to try our new restaurant, Bottle + Kitchen. I agree, the oysters are amazing! Our location is fantastic as well. Please know for your next visit that we do have balcony rooms with king beds.
Thank you Love_2_Travel568. We hope you have the opportunity to return very soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Hotel Rose is centrally and conveniently located in the northern half of Portland's downtown (don't let the SW address prefix fool you). Not only is McCall Waterfront Park just across the street (great for walking, jogging, and bicycling), the hotel is within two blocks of both eastbound and westbound stations on the MAX red and blue lines, and five blocks from northbound and southbound stations on the green and yellow lines.

If you're visiting Portland to shop, Pioneer Place and Pioneer Courthouse Square (Nordstrom, Macy's, Nordstrom Rack, Apple store, etc) are within easy 8 blocks (and these are the very walkable Portland city blocks of just 264 feet)!

Service: our expectations are high having previously stayed at multiple properties in the Kimpton chain. Hotel Rose didn't disappoint. We were warmly greeted by the valet and front desk staff.

The room was clean, comfortable, and tastefully decorated in a minimalist way. The lobby was recently redone, but not the hotel corridors or rooms. That's not a complaint, just an observation.

The bathroom sink/countertop was large in relationship to the hotel room - something we always like to be able to unpack toiletries bags and not have to cram things into any available corner. The walk-in shower (no tub in our room) had a rainfall shower head and glass partition without a movable door or curtain. Some guests may find that unusual, but it worked well for us. Hot water was more than ample.

The beds and pillows were among the most comfortable we've found at anything other than a luxury resort!

The newly opened hotel restaurant, Bottle & Kitchen, was going through final touches and staff were being trained. That didn't detract from having a great time. The restaurant manager (Cora, I think) was friendly and welcomed us each time we popped in a for a drink or when we stopped by late one night for dessert. Great beer selection and delicious Swiss Chocolate Torte (with peanut butter and strawberry jelly)!!

A few final thoughts: we appreciated having on-site self-parking in a garage below the hotel. Be forewarned, the self-park garage is not secured or gate-controlled, it is easy to wander in from the street, and spaces are leased to neighborhood office workers (which can be a surprise if you leave early in the morning and come back in mid-afternoon). On the plus side, it was only $15 a night to park.

There still seems to be some retraining and rebalancing of schedules taking place with the staff. At some times it seemed staff were bumping up against each other, and yet on our third day (Tuesday) our room had not been cleaned between when we left the hotel at 9am and when we returned at 4pm. The only unpleasant encounter we had with front desk staff was when she tried to explain how busy they were and that it is not unusual for rooms not to be made up before 4pm.

All in all, Hotel Rose was a great new find for us in Portland and will certainly be on the short list for a future visit.

Room Tip: The "metropolitan view" looks out over the valet parking area, but seemed to be quieter th...
1  Thank TacomaGuys
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Good evening TacomaGuys,
Thank you for one of the most thorough reviews we have received. We truly do appreciate your feedback. I was happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and was able to try our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen. It was Cora that you interacted with and I will pass your comments on to her. She's fantastic! I do apologize that your interaction with the front desk regarding your room cleaning was not a pleasant one. I will share your comments with our front office manager.
Thank you again TacomaGuys. We hope your return to Hotel Rose very soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Hotel Rose does have a really good location which is why I was able to give it an average overall rating. The staff is young, not very knowledgable and lacked professionalism. Nothing beautiful about the rooms. Bedding worn, mattresses sunken, blankets with holes, ugly carpet, shower with no door, no bar soap (liquid only), dimly lit bathroom. The mini pineapple cupcakes in the hotel entry were very tasty! And, the complimentary bottle water daily was nice. We would not stay here again or recommend.

3  Thank MN W
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Good evening MN W,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly appreciate your feedback as it helps us grow and improve for our next visitors experience. I was happy to hear you enjoyed our location, cupcakes, and bottled water. It would be helpful to know what room you were in so I can inspect it personally. I you could please call me at 503-484-1401 I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you MN W. I do hope you reconsider and stay with us the next time you visit Portland.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Hotel Rose was amazing. I had such a great stay with them. The staff was very friendly and informative. The room was beautiful. I almost couldn't get out of bed because it was so comfortable and feather down pillows!! Heaven. I ordered Pumpkin Ravioli from room service and it was brought up promptly and it was delicious!
The best part was the free rental bikes! Hotel rose was very centrally located and it was so easy to just take a bike and roam around. I DEFINITELY would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in town.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Hello Danielle R,
Thank you for your nice comments regarding your recent stay at Hotel Rose. I am so happy you enjoyed interacting with our great associates, took advantage of our bikes, delicious room service, oh so comfortable beds, and our fantastic location, location, location!! Please hurry back!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

When we looked at hotels in Portland prior to our recent trip we found that travelers were commenting on construction updates to the lobby and bar area that hindered enjoyment of the property. My husband and I decided to take a chance and book it because we liked the walkable location to downtown attractions and the waterfront. We were pleased that when we arrived, all was put in order and no evidence of construction to the interior was evident. The bar was quite nice with friendly bartender, Margot who was eager to make us a specialty cocktail and offer us a very delicious bar menu. We really enjoyed this hotel for friendliness and willingness to make our stay very comfortable. The room was spacious enough for our needs and quite clean and modern. We were able to walk everywhere we needed to be and never had to get the car out of the garage.

Good evening ajctraveler,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly appreciate your favorable comments and are pleased you enjoyed your time here. We really do have the best location in town and I'm pleased you took advantage of it. I will definately pass your kind comment on to Margot as well. We love to hear the nice comments about our fantastic hospitality specialists.
Thank you ajctraveler. We hope to see you back very soon.