“Dust so thick you can write your name”

Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland
Ranked #3 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
South Lake Tahoe, California
“Dust so thick you can write your name”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

This is a beautiful building in dire need of cleaning and maintenance The Vintage has an excellent (if overworked) staff and a fantastic location. But it's dirty and needs to put some money into replacing worn and damaged fixtures.

The toilet in our first room (a Deluxe King) was disgustingly dirty in a way that only happens when the job isn't done properly for a very long time, and when there is no manager supervising quality control. (check out the pictures)

We upgraded to a Starlight and loved the view, but were less than thrilled with the thick dust on the window ledges that go all the way around the room, the dirty windows, and the less-than-fresh couch.

Check the pictures I've posted and it's clear that no money is being spent on upkeep, much less updating. There's a huge burn mark on the wall where the wobbly swinging light fixture melted the vinyl star decoration. The lamp on the desk is bent, and wobbly as well. The retractable shades for the windows are frayed, brittle and cracking. The bed linens are starting to get limp. The white surfaces in the room needed a fresh coat of paint.

One other note: The walls are extremely thin in the King Deluxe room and we could hear our neighbors quite easily.

I wanted to like this hotel so much, but was disappointed in many ways. If they want to be a boutique hotel they need to sink some money into the place. Otherwise, drop the prices and the pretension. Good service and a charming building only go so far.

Room Tip: The top floor has excellent views, but has no king sized beds.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Monarch B
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Dear traveler;
I appreciate your feedback on multiple sites. It appears that we did our best to make your stay a positive experience by changing rooms and providing an upgrade. It sounds like you made the effort to enjoy your stay, that our housekeeping department was disheartened about not meeting your expectations. We do take your feedback to heart and we have a real focus on the delivery of exceptional cleanliness and friendliness. Again, we hope to see you come back and that we are able to provide you with a different experience. All the best, Sandy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Pompous people. The only friendly people were the service staff. Rooms were marginal, at best. Forget about the views...they're hard to come by. Choose somewhere else. I hear that Oregonians are friendly...but not here.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank halekat
Dear "place to be seen";
I want to say that your review was a bit of a surprise to me. I am grateful that you have shared your perspective of your guest experience. This is important for our team to realize that each and every guest walks in through our doors with a different perspective, our job is to uncover what you are expecting and do our best to ensure that. We hope we have an opportunity to present you with a different experience on your next journey to Portland. Again, thank you for your feedback. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

I think my problem with Kimpton hotels is that I get seduced by the website that seems to suggest the staff will bend over backwards for you and be super friendly while doing it. Then when I get there I find a nice hotel with some good amenities - my room had an exercise bike and weights in it! I adore the foam pillows and the fact that they bring you the New York Times. The room itself was nice and clean. That said, the hideabed was so uncomfortable that my son had to make a bed out of the couch pillows and sleep on the floor. We did call the front desk to ask for a foam pad but they could not find one. At check out I was overcharged and the bell service was pretty mediocre. I am not saying it was a bad experience, but it just didn't live up to the hype. An exercise bike in the room does not make it a consummate experience.

Dear LeonaHtheQueen;
I love your screen name! I just want to thank you for your candor and overview of your Kimpton Experiences. We are boutique hotels, many in historic buildings which is the blessing and the curse that we face, making the most out of the space that we have to work with. Your review highlighted our strengths and weaknesses. I am pleased that you enjoyed our in room fitness option, though your son did not sleep well and that our team did not make a touch down in follow thru. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, so that we stay focused on all of the basics that our guest experience entails. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
White Plains, New York, United States
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We selected the vintage for its location, which was ideal. The staff was friendly- gave some good reccomendations for nearby bars. Pillows were way too soft, and the "foam" pillows brought up were little help. We had to ask twice for these. Left sign on door the first day that we did not need room made up, took it down the next- housekeeping still did not come. Overall it was a good experience but I think they could have done better with what they had, and am planning to try someplace new next time in Portland.

1 Thank Colin M
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
We strive to be great, sounds like the location and recommendations from the team were ideal. We have our Kimpton In Touch program that define guest preferences, like firm/feather/foam or fluffy pillows, so that we may prepare in advance for your arrival and anticipate your preferences. We would love to see you the next time you are in Portland and ensure you are well rested. Thank you for letting us know what rocked and what did not.
All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I stay frequently at the Vintage when visiting my family. I love this classically elegant hotel, the wonderful staff and location. I love the corner rooms as well as the suites. I have known Michael for over six years. They took very good care of me when my father passed away. I will never forgot the special service they provided me and I will always be loyal to this wonderful staffed hotel.

Room Tip: Corner higher floor and the suites are gorgeous.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Sunnynlajolla;
I loved loved loved reading your review and want to thank you for taking the time to detail out all of the staff and services that you love about the Vintage Plaza here in Portland. Your words mean the world to our staff. We read all reviews at our daily line up. We look forward, as always, to having you back, I hope to meet you next time you are in town. We love to serve! Happy trails, Sandy Burkett GM
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 27 March 2013 via mobile

I am a kimpton rewards member. We booked our room on January 8 for a late March two night stay mid week for my husband's conference. We did not get a good rate. We did not get a good room. Do not stay on the south side. You will not enjoy the bell from the Marriott parking garage every time (1000 times) they exit with valet parking. Request a room high up on the west side (facing west) as that is a bank and presumably a lot less noisy. Worst night's sleep I've had all year!

2 Thank laurie c
Dear Laurie C;
I am thrilled to hear that you are a KIT member and that you were looking forward to your stay. Your feedback clearly let us know that we fell short and that you are certain we can do better. I agree with you. I look forward to seeing you return and us getting it right. Thank you again for letting us know how you felt. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
San Clemente, Ecuador
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Cute boutique hotel in typical Kimpton tradition. My room was smaller than most offered at the same brand/different location and was more traditionally decorated, but was very tasteful and elegant.

Byron at the front desk was a wonderful host, making sure I had an umbrella when going for a walk, and offering a pet goldfish to keep me company in my room!

Great lobby, very sleek. Didn't attend the wine tasting, but its always a nice touch if you get the chance.

Room Tip: I was in room 1007 which was a corner room. I think that was one of the factors that made it smalle...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear "wish I had more time in Portland" with the 5 Star review~
Please come back and bring all your friends! Seriously, your feedback made our entire team smile. Can't wait to serve you again. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM