“Nice Hotel, Great Location, Rooms Vary”

Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland
Ranked #2 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Healdsburg, California
“Nice Hotel, Great Location, Rooms Vary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

You can't beat the location, equidistant from the Pearl District, downtown shopping, and the river. Lots of great food and drink around. The hotel itself is nice, but not as luxurious as some in the area. In particular, the rooms seem to vary quite a bit. I was first given a small, dark room on the third floor, which would have been very difficult to endure for a three night stay. After quite some effort, I was able to get upgraded to an executive room facing Broadway; large, brighter, very nice! My two minor complaints were the bed was too soft for me (I think, as has been said, they are due for updating) and the air conditioner was too loud. Fortunately, being November, I could just shut it off. I enjoyed the wine social each evening, and the service overall was very good. They have a great restaurant, lounge and bar also.
My sister swears by the Starlight rooms, but once again, I believe they vary quite a bit, as the website says 200 sq ft, yet my sister reports a large room. So its a bit of a grab-bag, which might work for some.

Room Tip: Consider upgrading while booking if you want a large or bright room. Check in might be too late. Roo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear John_Northbay;
Thanks for selecting our hotel and taking the time to let others know what you loved and what could have been better. I see that you travel to Portland often, as you have reviewed 5 hotels here. I was thrilled we made your list. We hope you choose to come stay with us again the next trip to Portlandia, you now know the differences in our inventory, so your selection process will be easier when booking. Thanks for discerning to others the vast difference in our standard (deluxe) rooms and our King Executive Rooms. I am pleased that our staff was able to accomodate your move. I see that a firm bed would be preferable. Please let us know that when booking, we can accomodate you! Again, we appreciate being on your "A" list in Portland. We look forward to your return to our wonderful city.
Warmest Regards, Sandy Burkett, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Westbury, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We wanted to be within walking distance of everything downtown so this was great for that. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had the garden spa room with a hot tub and the room was tastefully decorated, very clean and great, but a little cramped due to the configuration of the furniture. The hot tub was great; there were plenty of towels and robes. We ordered room service for breakfast a couple times and the food was excellent. The servers were also very nice. It was nice to be within walking distance of so many shops and restaurants and the hotel has charm & antique touches. The wine hour looked fun, though we didn't attend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear OatmealCeiling;
Thank youf for your warm feedback on your experience here and how convenient to shopping and attractions our hotel is. We hope the next time you travel to Portland we have the opportunity to serve you and your friends! Warmest Regards, Sandy Burkett, GM
Millbury, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband and I chose the Hotel Vintage Plaza based on the many reviews here and had high expectations, which seemed promising upon entering the lobby. The lobby area is warm and inviting and welcomes you to cozy up in front of the fireplace with a glass of (complimentary) wine. The valet staff was superior, as was the bell-hop, Ross, who provided great recommendations for the downtown area, as well as tips on visiting Mount Hood. Unfortunately, the olde world charm ended as soon as the door to our Starlight Guest room (#1014) opened. The room is tacky and not nearly as charming as the pictures indicate. Additionally, only some of the wall outlets worked, and some were not even secured to the wall itself. The switch for the desk lamp had to be jimmied before it would actually work, and even then, the lighting in this room was terrible. The tile in the bathroom was nice, but the grout was dirty and worn, as was the door itself. Both the bathroom door and the closet doors would stick when trying to open and close; the ironing board provided would fall over if you let go of it while ironing your clothes. The bed pillows were worn and flat, my husband actually thought it was just a folded up towel in a pillow case! The desk chair was either dirty or stained, and there was a round circular stain about halfway up the headboard. The couch under the starlight windows was broken down and you couldn't sit on it with out rolling forward toward the floor. The blinds were frayed on the edges, and incredibly loud when operated. Trying to regulate the room temperature was near impossible; it was dry and either too hot or too cold. The legs on the ottoman and chair look as if someones dog had knawed on them at some point in time.

The mini bar was missing several of the items that it claimed to provide, so to ensure we weren't charged for missing items, I contacted the front desk who advised that on occasion some things might not be available so aren't replenished. (Other places I have stayed are very specific with the mini bar counts, so it makes it easy to determine what guests actually use, avoiding erroneous charges to unsuspecting guests.) I requested that the front desk note the missing items , and verified with them upon departure those items actually used.

Prior to arriving, I was contemplating switching room types so logged on to the hotel website, where I discovered that hotel nights for all rooms, including our current room type (Starlight Guest room) were being offered at a lower rate; when checking in, I inquired about the lower rate and was advised that the rate would have to be adjusted at check out. I also inquired about the room and was told that the Starlight rooms were guests favorites and I was sure to love it, and moved on in the process, offering no other options; i think it's safe to say, neither my husband nor I, did. Upon check-out, I contacted the front desk and spoke with Michael, who advised that there was no comment about the rate adjustment. It took several minutes to again rehash the conversation I had upon arrival before Michael finally agreed to modify the rate, for which we were appreciative. I did try to give William, who actually completed the check-out process, some honest feedback about our stay, even providing him with my business card; he seemed disinterested and almost slightly embarrassed and tried to hurry the process along, just to be rid of me and the uncomfortable comments I was trying to share.

The positive; the hotel is in a great location, and most of the staff we encountered were professional, pleasant and courteous. The adjoining restaurant is beautiful and offers good wine and great food, and the common spaces were very nice... the sleeping room was just sad. Perhaps the experience would have been different/better in another room type? Thankfully, we spent the majority of our time outside the hotel and made the best of the situation.

Also, it is an older building and the walls are pretty thin, so beware! We spent our last night being awoken at 2:00am by guests just checking in to the room next door, who were drunk and loud and obviously looking for a place that rented by the hour. I understand the staff has no control over the buildings physical structure, but would think the front desk staff would be more considerate of existing guests when checking in walk-in guests off the street at 2:00am.

Finally, prior to arrival, I responded to an email inquiring about special requests and wanting to know if we were celebrating anything special; I responded with both, mentioning that this was our first trip to Oregon and we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. Oddly, nobody mentioned anything about this and those "special requests," those weren't acknowledged either. Just curious as to the point of asking, if no action is being taken?

I wanted to like the Hotel Vintage Plaza; I was hopeful that it was as amazing as others have made note of here, it wasn't.

Room Tip: Starlight Guest Rooms are tacky and worn and have none of the charm you'd expect in a hotel with...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Becky K
Dear OatmealCeiling;
I am happy to see that our location was as convenient as you had hoped it would be. That our amenities, food and staff all met your expecations. Thank you for taking the time to share the benefits with others. We hope that you return! All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I love this hotel. I live in Oregon but not in Portland and it is my 'go to' hotel for a little mini-staycation as well as my favorite place to stay for business trips. Now - with the light rail going all the way to the airport, you can stay here the night before a flight if the timing works out. This is a Kimpton Hotel and, if you are an In-touch member you get free wifi in your room (others pay a bit) and a $10 coupon to raid the mini-bar. What I really love about the hotel, though, is the way it just feels like home. The service and welcome are so personal and prompt, with such a smile, and all the staff are proactive about your needs, that it is easy to relax into an easy conversation wiht other guests by the fire during the evening wine socials, or to just sit in the lobby an dread a book in your slippers. all the rooms are very comfortable, with animal print robes, and plentiful hot water. You get to choose your pillow type and I find the feather pillow option to be full of lovely pillows of varying thicknesses.... be sure to view the 'free' menu of yoga and meditation videos if you have any practice like that, and to say hi to the canine-concierge there to greet travelling pets. I have never had a dog in this hotel, but I love their attitude about pets, and also can say that - as a non-dog owner- the dog-friendliness of this hotel has never been a problem.. only another side of the 'now you are home' feel tot he hotel.

Room Tip: There are a very few rooms with exterior hot tubs.. hard to get but worth trying for. Also, the sing...
Green Features: Very environmentally friendly, up to the 'real' cups for morning coffee that you can take back to your room. The available bicycles are very fun and staff are super helpful in making sure tires are pumped uo, etc.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mwood103
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Mwood103;
Thank you for sharing your amazing experience in this review! I love it when I see that we have made our guests feel as comfortable as in their own home. That made my morning. I will be reading your review to our team this morning and want to thank you for selecting our hotel time and again and sharing your experience with others.
Hurry back, Sandy Burkett, GM
Portland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I booked a room on the Kimpton site, prepaying the room. In doing so, I was guaranteed the best available rate. Three days later, Kimpton is running a sale on Portland and the room I booked is now $40 a night less expensive. I called the Kimpton main number and was told that I was out of luck in getting the lower rate. The operator even told me to never prepay a room as there are always sales! Thanks a lot Kimpton! Beware of their "GUARANTEED BEST RATE" on their site as it is not true! With Marriott and Hilton hotels, they have always honored sales that happen after I have pre-booked a room with them. That is the way to get and maintain loyal customers. Boo Kimpton!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EventRider
Dear EventRider;
Your review left me so disappointed. I always prefer guests to speak up with any issue that they are having, while here in the hotel vs. online, but our world has changed dramatically. I am curious if you spoke to our team at the front desk? Our special KIT promotions do state that we can not combine with other offers and that pre-existing reservations and some black out dates, do not apply. I do want to let you know that we entrust our team to ensure our guests love their hotel experience. I am grateful that you made a concious choice to stay with us and so sorry that it fell below your expectations. Our one day sales are created to be a benefit to our most loyal customers, and to add both value and occupancy during lower demand periods not to upset them. I do hope that you give us another chance to earn your business back. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
Helena, MT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and I chose the Vintage for a four-day stay in Portland; what a great choice! Excellent location, very high customer service standards, very attractive attached lounge (you really must spend a happy hour there); excellent restaurant … the list goes on. We are priority level Marriott guests (that hotel is a stone's throw from this one) and we would not even consider switching!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheArmenian
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
TheArmenian for Portland;
Wow - THANK YOU- nothing like a competitive review a stones throw away. I am thrilled that you truly enjoyed your 4 nights with us and that you found our service genuine and personal. My hat is off to you and your wifg for truly enjoying your travels. I see that Portland is a frequent stop for you, I am grateful that we are now your hotel of choice when you come here.
Warmest Regards, Sandy Burkett, GM
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Hotel Vintage Plaza has a great location. Visiting Portland without spending a stay here would be a mistake! Our hotel room was very comfortable, with many amenities - plus little 'special touches' which made us feel welcome.
Despite having its own good restaurants, the hotel is easy walking distance to many others as well as a good shopping district. Staff was friendly and very helpful in providing directions or answering other tourism-related questions that we had.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Erma M;
Your review made me smile from the inside out! I appreciate your 5 STAR review of our hotel and restaurant!!! Thank you for telling literally the world of your experience staying with us here.
Our entire team is appreciative. We look forward to serving you and your friends in the future.
Warmest Regards from Windy Portland! Sandy Burkett, GM