“Great hotel needs to reach for the top” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland

Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland
Ranked #2 of 138 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great hotel needs to reach for the top”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I are curreny staying at Vintage Kimpton in Portland. We've found our stay here to be excellent, staff are warm and friendly, the hotel is well situated, the rooms are clean and spacious. The only issue in our stay has been that one of the two elevators has not been functioning during our stay. Meaning long delays waiting for the elevator in the lobby and on the 8th floor. I tried climbing the stairs to the 8th floor, but wasn't the best idea I've had. I would give this place 5 stars if it wasnt for the elevator.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Gurby;
You are right.... we just completed the mechanical modernization of one elevator and the second is now underway. This is part of our commitment to exceptional guest experiences. Unfortunately, it takes time to get the work done. We are almost there. Our guests safety, security, comfort and overall experience is our focus. There is no way around the time it takes to update the elevator. We are sorry for any inconvenience and appreciate your fabulous review of our service and the other experience s you enjoyed while you were staying here at the hotel. Please know that in a couple more weeks, both elevators will be complete! We look forward to seeing you back again. All the best, Sandy Burkett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
NY NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Overall a good experience here. Main comment of note is the slight shabbiness of the room. Our room was ample, quiet, and the bed was comfortable. But there were water stains on the ceiling and the bathroom looked cheaply done and a little outdated. Overall service was good, although the front desk was a little inconsistent: some staff went out of their way to help, others were indifferent.

I'd give this hotel another try while possibly requesting another room. Maybe I just got unlucky with the one suite that needs a little more TLC?

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Trappedinfrance;
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I appreciate your feedback and I hope that you mentioned the issues you experienced to our team, so that the next guest does not have the same issue in the guest room that you occupied. We are investing in our guest experiences over $2 million in mechanical upgrades, operable window refurbishment, and back of the house equipment which all improve the comfort and guest experience, much of this work, our guests often don't see. Upon completion we will be doing a full guest room renovation as well. We look forward to you returning and seeing what else is new at the Vintage Portland! Happy Trails, Sandy Burkett, GM
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

What I love about Kimpton Hotels is their pet friendly policy. I had previously stayed in a Kimpton in Seattle which was divine. Upon arriving at this hotel it stated in the room packet that dogs were not to be left alone. This was not true in Seattle. I don't leave my dog alone as she is small, spoiled and a service dog. In Seattle we left my sister's dog alone to go shopping. Her dog will bark for a short time when we leave and well then stop and sleep. The food at Hotel Vintage plaza was good. We had room service as even though my dog is a service dog I avoid taking her anywhere she may not be wanted by other patrons. In Seattle as we looked at the menu to ordered to go we were encourage to stay and keep the dog with us. My other complaint about Hotel Vintage is that I foolishly left two outfits in the closet. I called to see if they had the outfits. I got a call saying that indeed they had found the clothes and to what address should they be sent. I left my address twice and never received my clothes. I've decided the clothes are a write off. The hotel was very expensive. I would stay at a different Kimpton in the future but this one I think not.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear RachV070;
I'm so sorry that you have not received your clothes. I hope that you will contact me personally, as we want to ensure you have your things, we do not have your address. I appreciate the feedback on this site. Travelers often forget things in their haste to leave and I encourage them to contact us, speak to someone, as at times when people leave messages, they speak very quickly and we may not be able to discern the message or a phone number left on voice mail. We certainly want to get your things back to you, so I encourage you to contact me directly - that we may get correct shipping information. I have checked with my team and we have no record of your address or a message. Thank you again, we look forward to returning your treasures to you..
All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
Albany, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just spent a long weekend at this hotel. Its in a great location for downtown Portland, so we could park the car and walk everywhere we needed to go. There were a couple minor issues with the room, but it all worked out well. The staff is very friendly. There are cheaper hotels nearby that you might put on your list if this place is too pricey. The restaurant on site is yummy.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul G
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Paul G;
You seem to travel to Portland alot, there were several reviews for our neighborhood along with ours - I want to thank you for your gracious feedback. You noted that our staff was friendly, that there were a couple things that worked out. We would loved to knock it out of the park next time you are in town. Our goal 5 star everytime. Glad you enjoyed Pazzo I think it is "Yummy" too!Thank you once again, we look forward to serving you in the future. All the best, Sandy Burkett
Amawalk, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Vintage Plaza. Our last night there, we asked the hotel staff to call us a taxi to the airport for the morning. They agreed to do so. When we checked out, they took us to what we thought was the taxi they promised to call for us; the driver loaded our luggage into the back and we got in. However, there was no meter. The driver explained to us that this was actually a town car. It turns out that a town car is a much more expensive way to get to the airport in Portland. I don't know why the hotel staff called a town car for us. Maybe they have some argument why the town car is so much better that we really should be happy to pay extra for one. However, I think they had an obligation to actually make that argument and not just hustle us into the vehicle we thought was the taxi they had promised us. My real objection is not the extra cost but rather the dishonesty of the hotel staff.

It also bothered me a lot that the room comes with a cute stuffed animal that you can buy when you check out at a grossly inflated price. I don't mind all the other overpriced stuff that they put in your hotel room for easy but expensive purchase. However, I think the stuffed animal is different because if a little kid spends a few nights in a room with a cute stuffed animal, there is a significant risk that the kid is going to become extremely attached to that stuffed animal. Then either the parents are stuck paying an insane price for the stuffed animal or the kid has to leave without it; it seems really unfair to one or the other of them. The stuffed animal policy seems insidiously clever but deeply manipulative. We did not have kids with us so it was not an issue for us, but it did make me feel like the hotel was not run very ethically.

Our room was very nice. The bed was comfortable. Wireless internet in the hotel was great. The hotel coffee was excellent. This would be our favorite hotel in Portland if it was operated in a more honest manner. We will never, ever return to this hotel, and we will never recommend it to anyone. Hotel management should seriously reconsider how they treat their guests.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jwm4
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear JWM4
Thank you for letting us know that you requested a taxi, I agree you should have been able to have a taxi, thank you for alerting us about your experience with the towncar. I will let you know the towncar does provide transportation to many of our frequent guests, we have no complaints about their service or being to the hotel when called. I cannot say the same about the other vendors in town.I will also let you know that when we had an ice storm, when it is dinner time, they were the ones that ensured our guests were cared for. I am truly sorry that it felt like you were taken advantage of, that is never our intention.

The stuffed animal is an offering that many of our travelers choose to take home to their kids, or purchase while they are here. Part of the proceeds go to the humane society of Portland. As with all of our honor bar offerings, we provide as a convenience to the guest.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your actual stay with us. I just wanted to respond and apologize to you about the request you made not being fulfilled as you reqluested.
All the best on your traveles.
Sandy Burkett, GM
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Two-night business stay at the hotel. I am a regular Kimpton patron -- like the style and convenience of their hotels. The quality is also consistent and the service strong.

My first stay at the Vintage was disappointing. The room was spacious but poorly laid out and at 6'2" I literally towered over the shower stall.

When I arrived at the hotel, one of the two elevators was out of order. When I woke up the next morning, both were out of order. The staff did a poor job communicating the status and were not effective at letting people in the lobby know the elevators weren't working.

By the end of the day the elevator was back in service, but the experience marred the visit. .

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Dan M.
We are always grateful for the feedback of our guests, and I am sorry that you were caught in that window of time where we had both elevators down. Which was just over an hour, that was an inconvenience to our in house guests. I am happy to let you know that we are in the process of investing in our property. $1.2 million has been spent in the past 18 months to renew all of our mechanical systems, heating/cooling, exhauste systems, new Wireless platform to ensure the connectivity of our guests. The elevators are one week from completion of the first upgrade, the second will then be under way for a few weeks, as you pointed out. It is time. I do hope that when you return to Portland, you give us the opportunity to ensure that your stay with us is exceptional, and we truly appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton. Best, Sandy Burkett
Danville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Loved the staff, great location, and the happy hour tastings were really fun (even the free appetizers were really good). The staff had great advice about what to see and where to go.I'd definitely come here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Adam S;
Thank you for letting others know where to enjoy a great stay when in Portland! I really apprecated your feedback about our fun and tasty wine hour. Come on back and bring your friends!
Best, Sandy