“Friendly staff, great service”

Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland
Ranked #3 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
California
“Friendly staff, great service”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Had a large group staying at the Vintage Plaza for a wedding nearby. Service was first-class, accommodations were excellent, and the hotel staff was outstanding! One elevator was out of service, but the staff was very accommodating and helped make up for the inconvenience by stepping out of the elevator so we could step on. Bellman were personable, hardworking and prompt. Front desk staff was friendly and worked hard to accommodate our numerous requests. Prior to the event, Marisa in the sales office was friendly, helpful and professional. Hotel is beautifully decorated, well-appointed and just the right size. Thanks for making my daughter's wedding weekend so perfect!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Suzabelv;
Your review was such a pleasure to read, authentic and real. I so appreciate your acknowledgement that our team is doing all they can to ensure great guest experiences while "upgrading our elevators". I am thrilled that we had the honor of ensuring that your daughters wedding weekend was perfect. We hope to see you all back with us a year from now on their first anniversary! We will have both elevators humming right along and all of our renovation work will have long since been complete. Again, thank you for trusting us to care for your daughters big event and honoring us to serve you all.
May your journey continue to be filled with wonder! Sandy Burkett, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
San Jose, California
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I held my wedding at Monterey Plaza a couple of weeks ago, and it was a great experience! The venue is very picturesque, the service was top-notch, and the food was delicious. I greatly appreciated the professionalism of the staff, including their wedding planner Alexis who was a real partner every step of the way. It makes a big difference to have someone with that kind of experience and expertise guiding you and keeping you on track with all the different things that one has to manage in order to pull off a wedding. I'm happy to recommend this venue to anyone looking to book a wedding in the Monterey area.

Room Tip: Worth the extra money to get an ocean view room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Damon; Thank you - we are always thrilled that weddings go off without a hitch. I am uncertain how your review of the Monterey Plaza has appeared here - Here's to Alexis at the other Plaza. When you visit Porltand, please come stay with us! Congratulations, Sandy Burkett, GM
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Here are 3 reasons to choose a Kimpton Hotel: there's always a great staff, a fine restaurant and funky furnishings. Oh, there's a fourth: always a gym, even if it's tiny, it's all you need to keep trim. Did I mention happy hour, pet-friendly or LGBT friendly? Check out the bio of the chef, John Eisenhart. A very exceptional person. The Hotel Vintage Plaza is located in downtown Portland and my girlfriend and I rode the free bikes the Hotel provided all over town one sundrenched day. Visiting for a teachers' conference at the nearby convention center, we worked late at night in our room but were rewarded with splendid food from Pazzo. The shopping was conveniently nearby and satisfied all our needs for a new suit, high heels, and trinkets for our dearest at home. I highly recommend staying at the Hotel Vintage Plaza, for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Get the vast room that includes about 750 sq. ft. if you want to work or relax like you're at ho...
Green Features: Recycling bins in room and credit if you forgo housekeeping. Good practices!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Nan F -
Your review was so very gracious and welcomed. I am thrilled that you truly enjoyed our facility, Chef John's delicious offerings in Pazzo and all of the usual value adds that we offer as a Kimpton hotel. 5 Stars says it all and I just wanted you to know that we are grateful. Hurry back from NYC to beautiful Portland.... we will be here, your home away from home.
All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I are curreny staying at Vintage Kimpton in Portland. We've found our stay here to be excellent, staff are warm and friendly, the hotel is well situated, the rooms are clean and spacious. The only issue in our stay has been that one of the two elevators has not been functioning during our stay. Meaning long delays waiting for the elevator in the lobby and on the 8th floor. I tried climbing the stairs to the 8th floor, but wasn't the best idea I've had. I would give this place 5 stars if it wasnt for the elevator.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Gurby;
You are right.... we just completed the mechanical modernization of one elevator and the second is now underway. This is part of our commitment to exceptional guest experiences. Unfortunately, it takes time to get the work done. We are almost there. Our guests safety, security, comfort and overall experience is our focus. There is no way around the time it takes to update the elevator. We are sorry for any inconvenience and appreciate your fabulous review of our service and the other experience s you enjoyed while you were staying here at the hotel. Please know that in a couple more weeks, both elevators will be complete! We look forward to seeing you back again. All the best, Sandy Burkett
NY NY
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Overall a good experience here. Main comment of note is the slight shabbiness of the room. Our room was ample, quiet, and the bed was comfortable. But there were water stains on the ceiling and the bathroom looked cheaply done and a little outdated. Overall service was good, although the front desk was a little inconsistent: some staff went out of their way to help, others were indifferent.

I'd give this hotel another try while possibly requesting another room. Maybe I just got unlucky with the one suite that needs a little more TLC?

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Trappedinfrance;
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I appreciate your feedback and I hope that you mentioned the issues you experienced to our team, so that the next guest does not have the same issue in the guest room that you occupied. We are investing in our guest experiences over $2 million in mechanical upgrades, operable window refurbishment, and back of the house equipment which all improve the comfort and guest experience, much of this work, our guests often don't see. Upon completion we will be doing a full guest room renovation as well. We look forward to you returning and seeing what else is new at the Vintage Portland! Happy Trails, Sandy Burkett, GM
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica
Reviewed 13 March 2014

What I love about Kimpton Hotels is their pet friendly policy. I had previously stayed in a Kimpton in Seattle which was divine. Upon arriving at this hotel it stated in the room packet that dogs were not to be left alone. This was not true in Seattle. I don't leave my dog alone as she is small, spoiled and a service dog. In Seattle we left my sister's dog alone to go shopping. Her dog will bark for a short time when we leave and well then stop and sleep. The food at Hotel Vintage plaza was good. We had room service as even though my dog is a service dog I avoid taking her anywhere she may not be wanted by other patrons. In Seattle as we looked at the menu to ordered to go we were encourage to stay and keep the dog with us. My other complaint about Hotel Vintage is that I foolishly left two outfits in the closet. I called to see if they had the outfits. I got a call saying that indeed they had found the clothes and to what address should they be sent. I left my address twice and never received my clothes. I've decided the clothes are a write off. The hotel was very expensive. I would stay at a different Kimpton in the future but this one I think not.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear RachV070;
I'm so sorry that you have not received your clothes. I hope that you will contact me personally, as we want to ensure you have your things, we do not have your address. I appreciate the feedback on this site. Travelers often forget things in their haste to leave and I encourage them to contact us, speak to someone, as at times when people leave messages, they speak very quickly and we may not be able to discern the message or a phone number left on voice mail. We certainly want to get your things back to you, so I encourage you to contact me directly - that we may get correct shipping information. I have checked with my team and we have no record of your address or a message. Thank you again, we look forward to returning your treasures to you..
All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
Albany, Oregon
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just spent a long weekend at this hotel. Its in a great location for downtown Portland, so we could park the car and walk everywhere we needed to go. There were a couple minor issues with the room, but it all worked out well. The staff is very friendly. There are cheaper hotels nearby that you might put on your list if this place is too pricey. The restaurant on site is yummy.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul G
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Paul G;
You seem to travel to Portland alot, there were several reviews for our neighborhood along with ours - I want to thank you for your gracious feedback. You noted that our staff was friendly, that there were a couple things that worked out. We would loved to knock it out of the park next time you are in town. Our goal 5 star everytime. Glad you enjoyed Pazzo I think it is "Yummy" too!Thank you once again, we look forward to serving you in the future. All the best, Sandy Burkett