“Great looking hotel, tiny rooms”
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Hotel deLuxe
Ranked #6 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 7 June 2013

this place, was not to bad, very pretty to look at. My only issue is the room was really really tiny, and so was the bed. Im a big guy, but my wife is tiny, and we had a rough night sharing the small bed. Also the iron would not stay plugged in the wall, so i had to hold the plug in the socket, while she did the ironing. Also the hotel restaurant filled up and could not serve us, so we had to drive someplace...which was not to bad, just a litte inconvenient. the building is really old, and it has the old hollywood charm, but there is something to say for modern things. i stayed in an old hotel like this in Sydney Aus, and we had the same problems, when someone flushes the toilet or turns on the water, you can hear it running through the walls. its just something you have to deal with if you stay in an old place. All in all, not a bad place, i just need a bigger room if i go again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Thank you so much for taking time to share you experience with us. Your support and feedback is important. We will use it to improve the experience for future guests. We have a number of different room types and are happy to take time to find a room that meets each guests needs. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel deLuxe when you next visit Portland.

Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel, excellent service and food. Close to the stadium, a little bit far away from city center, with big mall at 15 minutes walk and river promenade at 20/25 minutes........................................

• Stayed: June 2013
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

We are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay - especially our service and food. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel deluxe when you next visit Portland.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

My fiance had stayed at this hotel recently and not enjoyed his stay at all. He'd been given a room that was the size of a matchbox, and even though he'd asked for a quiet room, they'd given him extremely noisy neighbors. Well, the manager gave my fiance a one-night credit so we thought we'd give it another shot. Wow, were we impressed.

Like others have said, the 1930's feel of the hotel is really special. The hotel is set in a very quiet neighborhood, which is nice. It is still walking distance to downtown Portland, and the Alphabet district, so it is the best of both worlds. We did have repeated snafus with one staff member, but as I said, the manager was very responsive and did a really good job in looking after us.

The only meal we ate at the restaurant was brunch and it was amazing. The music is very romantic and makes for a tranquil and pleasant meal. I could have sat there for hours.

One of the great things about the room we had, which was an exterior room - they have rooms that surround the courtyard and those are smaller - was that it was so bright. We really loved the amount of natural light that made it into our room in the day. On that note, the bathtub was excellent too.

I wasn't a big fan of the cocktails in their bar. Their specials were all a bit odd for my taste; I think they've gone a bit overboard with the current trend in bitters.

I would definitely stay again and told my fiance I don't want to stay anywhere else when we visit Portland.

Room Tip: Rooms on the exterior of the building are bigger with more light.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are glad to hear you were overall pleased this time and will make the Hotel deLuxe your home away from home when you visit Portland. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 29 May 2013

This is the 3rd time my wife and I have stayed at the Hotel Deluxe. We enjoy the charm and décor of the hotel. The Happy Hour is also very good. The rooms can be a little small, but not uncomfortable by any means. The towels in the bathroom are the softest I have ever used (at a hotel, or at home). The staff is always ready to help with any request. I would always recommend the Deluxe to any of my friends and family.

1  Thank SURFSUP1011
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

I am very glad to know you enjoyed our property as well as the service. We have a terrific staff so you can always find someone to take care of your needs. I am happy to know you enjoyed Happy Hour at the Driftwood Room. We look forward to welcoming you back to the deLuxe next time you are in Portland!

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We just returned from a 2 night visit to the Hotel DeLuxe. The hotel is excellent and we really enjoyed our stay. The staff went out of their way to give us a detailed sense of the city and map out a good sightseeing itinerary. The room was small but livable and met all of our needs.

The hotel is on the edge of the Pearl District, next to the MLS soccer stadium. It was easy to get pretty much anywhere either by walking or the nearby light rail station. The main bar and restaurant area is only about a 10 minute walk away, the Rose Gardens and Japanese Gardens are only about 30 minutes away. I definitely recommend this hotel for value, convenience, location, and service.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review. We are so glad to hear you were pleased with your stay at Hotel deLuxe and enjoyed our centralized location. We are also glad to hear you were pleased with our service. Your positive feedback is most valuable to us. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Portland's Hotel Deluxe is located near the Burnside location of Powell's "city of books" bookstore, within three blocks of a MAX train stop, plus a number of reasonably-priced restaurants within an easy walk. But the staff are what make the hotel a stand-out.

The front desk staff, with competence and good cheer, helped my husband and me iron out a complex payment situation related to business travel and they shared knowledge of a local restaurant that could meet the needs of a person with a very, very restrictive diet--which I ended up liking so much, I ended up eating lunch at that same staff-recommended restaurant all week, sometimes two or three or four lunches in a day. {:)

The housekeeping staff displayed a quality that I highly desire but rarely find--they were attentive to the "do not disturb" sign whenever we displayed it on the door. So many hotels I've stayed at, my stay is severely degraded by hotel staff, early in the morning even, patently ignoring a "do not disturb" sign on the door and banging and yelling, "Housekeeping," and even bursting into the room after only a one-second pause (if one has forgotten to deadbolt the door). At Hotel Deluxe, though, the housekeepers were quiet, sensitive to what time of day it was and what a guest's door sign requested. When I returned to the room in the afternoons, the housekeeper had always come, cleaned the room well, and had left it looking and smelling fresh. In short, the housekeeping staff actually managed to stay away when told to and to intervene promptly and competently at other times in a way that just worked out smoothly and pleasantly.

Finally, the bell-hops/door-men (and I say men because all of these staff members were male). These gentlemen were articulate, genuinely friendly and caring. They freely shared directions with me to get me to anywhere I wanted to walk and graciously lent me a giant, high-quality umbrella all week to help me survive the unseasonably cold, driving rain that I ended up walking through/in all week long.

The bottom line is that the Hotel Deluxe is well-located, clean, comfortable, and staffed with highly competent and caring employees. I would happily stay there again if the occasion arose.

Room Tip: The elevator is a little scary to figure out how to operate, so if you choose a room on a lower floo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank fiery4
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words! Our staff is always very please to receive such wonderful compliments. We are so glad to hear you were pleased with you stay at Hotel deluxe and enjoyed our centralized location. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to Portland!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Except that the rooms are quite small, everything about this hotel is absolutely first-rate. We stayed for five days and found every member of the staff truly exemplary in their concern for our comfort and satisfaction. Every one of them was courteous and helpful in a genuine, unforced, way. Shortly after we checked in, we found that our shared-wall neighbors were excessively loud, and we were quickly moved to a room that turned out be be even nicer than the first one. The customer service rep could not have been more helpful.
We booked the eat-sleep-park package and believe it was an exceptional deal. It includes valet parking, $20/day food or bar service, and room, all for an average of $210/day plus tax.
Rooms, though small, are well appointed, including cable TV and tea/coffee making gear. Bedding is extremely comfortable, and they even provide a menu of pillows.
Location was ideal for us. We could walk to public transportation for a visit to the Japanese Gardens, and we walked directly to everything else we wanted to experience in the city.

Room Tip: Room 807 was especially nice, with windows on two sides and a bit more space than some others. Elev...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking time to share you experience with us. Our staff is always very pleased to receive such wonderful compliments. Your support and feedback inspires our staff to continue to provide excellence every day. I'm glad that you enjoyed our centralized location and saw so much of our wonderful city! We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel deLuxe when you next visit Portland.