“Good overnight stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 138 Hotels in Portland
London, United Kingdom
“Good overnight stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for just one night in a King room. The hotel itself is really great looking, and the welcome from the staff was fab. The valet, check-in staff and everyone we encountered as we arrived were really friendly and helpful and we genuinely felt welcomed. The room was an okay size for a central hotel, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean and well presented. We were situated right next to the elevators which initially worried me but I didn't hear anything our whole time at the hotel.
One of the highlights was going for a pre-dinner drink at the Drift Bar (the hotel's bar) and it was great! The cocktails were lovely and the atmosphere was perfect.
We really enjoyed our time in Portland and at the Hotel Deluxe, thank you!

Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to share you experience with us. Our staff is always very pleased to receive such wonderful compliments. Your support and feedback inspires our staff to continue to provide excellence every day. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel deLuxe when you next visit Portland.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

My husband and I just spent a delightful three nights at this charming boutique hotel. Since we are film buffs, we found the classic Hollywood motif enchanting. Enjoy a cocktail in the elegant lobby imagining you're waiting for Gary Grant and Katharine Hepburn to join you. Enter the dark enclave of the Driftwood Room for an assignation with Don Draper. Stroll into the Art Deco interior of Gracie's for dinner, lounging on the banquette in your best Rita Hayworth allure.
Or just be yourself, experiencing superb service, great food, walkable location, and welcoming guest rooms.

Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
We are so glad to hear you were pleased with your stay at Hotel deLuxe and enjoyed our Classic Hollywood theme. We are also glad to hear you were pleased with our service. Your positive feedback is most valuable. Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I would recommend staying at the Hotel deLuxe if you are staying in Portland. I love the location, my husband and I could walk everywhere in downtown Porltand. It's close to the rail service Portland offers. We stayed in a King Deluxe. The room itself was a little small, especially the bathroom. (Maybe TMI, but it's true) I'm 5'6" and the bathroom was so small my knees hit the bathtub every time I sat down on the toilet. But despite that, I have a very comfortable stay. The room offers many services (ice cream delivery, mini bar, snacks, etc.) but they were very expensive. One great aspect about this hotel was it's staff. I had lots of questions about what to do in the area and how best to travel and the front desk staff were awesome. They were always warm and accommodating - even after we checked out. They held our luggage until we picked it up at 10 pm (our flight left at midnight) so my husband and I could walk around Portland without hauling our suitcases. If I'm ever back in Portland, I would definitely stay here again (but maybe upgrade rooms).

Room Tip: Upgrade rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Tim B, Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so glad to hear you and your husband were able to have an enjoyable stay with us, and will return to Hotel deLuxe when you next visit Portland. We strive to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible and are delighted to hear your every need was taken care of. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Missoula, Montana, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

BEWARE! This hotel does not give you a printout of your bill. I for one was surprised to hear that our room was not at the quoted rate, but that they added $80 to our second night (even thought I have an email confirmation of $209 per night, because "that's the going rate".) All in all our room was about $500, but we were charged $720. This hotel is mismanaged and out of control so watch for extra hidden fees like a hawk! (even though after a few phone calls those charges have been refunded).

Honestly this wasn't all we were expecting. Even though I made our reservations through the Hotel, the front desk said they "didn't have a record/access to the credit card used to hold the room, and didn't know what package we had". I had to repeatedly remind the front desk clerk that we had bought a package, and that we needed our vouchers. Then we had to get a credit card authorization for the card used b/c I didn't have it physically on me (never a problem at any other hotel).

They really push that they are Pet Friendly and cater to your pets, but they really don't at all. Upon arrival we were supposed to receive a little welcome basket for our dog, but ended up having to request one and it was eh. A few cheap treats and a small shoe toy and a bed. They also advertised a doggie room service menu which we thought would be a kick, but weren't offered.

Our room, supposedly a "King Deluxe", was tiny. I would suggest those rooms for 1 person only. If there are 2 of you get a bigger room or 2 queens. I realize that this is a boutique hotel, and part of the charm is that it is old and historic, but there were a lot more negatives of the hotel than positives. For instance, no fans in the bathroom (a personal pet peeve when you can see the condensation and mold forming on the ceiling), and no microwave in the room. There was a mini-fridge but it was stocked with expensive things so we couldn't keep much in it.

The valet parking was nice (included in our package, otherwise parking is not ideal down there and it's really expensive), and the guys working were really friendly. The location is also great for walking.

Def wouldn't stay here again, there are a lot of other hotels downtown for around the same price.

Room Tip: Our room, supposedly a "King Deluxe", was tiny. I would suggest those rooms for 1 person o...
2 Thank Jin P
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Please accept my sincere apology for the difficulties you experienced. I appreciate your candid feedback and assure you that we will take the necessary steps to correct your concerns.
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband and I decided that since it was our honeymoon, we would pay a little more than usual and try out Hotel Deluxe based on the exceptional reviews. When we walked in we were very excited, the hotel lobby was gorgeous, and the decor was well thought out and unique. Once we got to our room however we were surprised with how small it was, and very disappointed to see that our window was just a few feet away from a large brick wall. Luckily, the hotel staff were kind enough to move us to a floor above with a better view, upon our request. In general the hotel was very nice and the staff were great, our main disappointment was simply that everything came at a premium cost. For a hotel that prides itself on making your stay perfect so much so that they have a button on their phone to push entitled: "make it so", it was a bit disappointing to see that absolutely nothing was complimentary. We quickly felt out of our element. It was still a great experience and the location was exceptional, we were just hoping for a little more for the price.

Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for choosing Hotel deLuxe for your very special occasion. It is nice to know you had a great experience and found the location exceptional. Your constructive feedback is also quite valuable. Thank you for taking time to share you thoughts.
Gainesville FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

This is a charming boutique hotel with outstanding service. It is nicely located within 2 blocks of the light rail stations downtown and walking distance to excellent restaurants. The front desk staff and bellmen could not have been more friendly and helpful. The restaurant, Gracies, was very good for breakfast and room service. The hotel theme, Hollywood movies and stars from the 20's and 30's is very well done and interesting.

Room Tip: The rooms can be small. Be sure to ask to see the room before settling on it.
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
We take pride in providing excellent service and making sure our guests are 100% satisfied. It is great to know you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking time to let us know!
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

I enjoyed this hotel overall. Very clean, had everything one expects in a great hotel except for the bathroom size. I could not stand in front of the sink to dry my hair and not get my arms caught in the shower curtain! Commode so jammed between wall and bathtub that a large person would have trouble using it. Hotel room itself was also small but not as cramped. However, staff can make a big difference when staying for the first time in a new city and Hotel DeLuxe had a wonderful reception desk staff that helped with directions and ideas, found restaurants with available tables on a busy weekend, and remembered who we were (guess I am not used to boutique hotels!) Ditto the car valets. Service in the restaurant for breakfast was less even but overall good. Equally far from both Pearl, Downtown and "artistic" districts but only a 10-15 minute walk to all and VERY close to Portland's light rail system. We stayed at the Marriot Riverside the first night (get a river view) and would consider staying there again before the Hotel DeLuxe.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
It is good to know you were pleased with so many aspects of your stay. Being a historic property, we do have a variety of different sizes of rooms. We hope you will choose to return and will make certain you are 100% satisfied. I am confident we can find a room that meets you needs.