“Fun Place to Stay!”
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Hotel deLuxe
Ranked #3 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 6 November 2013

If you're a vintage film fan, this is where you want to stay in Portland, OR. With a Hollywood theme throughout the hotel, guests are taken back to the Hollywood of yester-year! While the hotel is older, it's very well taken care of. I stayed in a Queen Deluxe room which was a bit smaller than I expected, but was very clean and comfortable, and cozy. I loved all the film-themes throughout: The Screening Room; the Editing Room, etc. Even the "do not disturb door" hangers said: "Quiet on the Set" Loved that. The only negative comment - has nothing to do with the hotel - was the light rail that would come down the street - a bit noisy/rumbly, even though I was on the 6th floor. But that's definitely NOT a reason to miss this fantastic gem in Portland!
I would highly recommend this hotel, and I plan on coming back soon!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Thank you for such a positve review. We are incredibly proud of the atomosphere created here at the Hotel deLuxe, and it thrills me to know how much you enjoyed it. Again, I sincerely appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you back.

Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Had a long weekend stay to visit family. We had 1 previous Portland visit, & stayed at a less expensive hotel, but wanted to go "upscale" on this trip, & stay in the downtown area so we could ditch the car and walk more, so thought we'd try the Hotel DeLuxe.

Easy to find, good location on outer edge of downtown, several good eating/drinking options within easy walking distance. Convenient parking garage next to hotel, owned by them, so you can access it with your room key, which was nice.

We booked a king bed, and are used to the smaller sized hotel rooms in San Francisco - but man ! This room was REALLY small, you had to turn sideways to get past the dresser the TV was on to get to the one side of the bed. (Brought to mind all those jokes about "My room was so small that (insert your own joke here !)

The room itself was clean and comfortable, had a safe & a minibar fridge, bed & pillows were also very comfortable. Front desk personnel were all very friendly & helpful.

Overall we'd give a thumbs up to the amenities & the staff, but a thumbs down to the very small room size, so will try a different hotel when we return to Portland, as that room was just too small for the premium price we paid.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Skiersx2
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Looking to stay somewhere with character in Portland? This is it. We cannot think of one negative remark. Our room was 8th floor, corner, king, with a great walk-in closet. Why mention the closet? We arrived for two weeks in Pacific NW, and it was great not stumbling over our luggage. Loved the location. Enjoyed excellent lunch and happy hour. Staff were VERY helpful, and made two weary travelers from Florida feel at home within minutes.

• Stayed: October 2013
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We are thrilled to know you enjoyed your room so much. It is always the highest compliment to hear you felt at home. We hope to see you next time you visit the North West.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here five nights during October 2013. This is a classy hotel with a desk staff and housekeeping staff that are superb. We were pleased with everything the staff did, and Jorden was extremely helpful in providing information about local restaurants and attractions. The location is within a 10-15 minute walk from just about everything you'd like to do, such as the Chinese garden and downtown shopping.

Room Tip: Our room on the fourth floor was roomy and well-decorated with two windows. If staying on the second...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review. I am very glad to hear our staff made such a superb impression on you. We are conveniently located downtown and I am pleased to know you were able to take advantage of that during your stay. Again, thank you for the kind words and I will make sure to pass them along to the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel deLuxe on your next visit to Portland.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed here Oct 14-17 during our honeymoon in Portland. Our room was one of the queen suites on the 8th floor. We loved it there so much we didn't want to leave. The room was classy and beautiful and the bed and bedding were extremely comfortable. Every staff member we encountered was super friendly and seemed genuinely happy to be there. We felt like we were staying at a place where rooms were $500+per night for a small fraction of the price. We also enjoyed the happy hour at the bar downstairs. The brunch at the downstairs restaurant looked good but we didn't get the chance to try it out. Walking distance to everything, our favorite spot being all the food trucks on 10th and Alder. Only gripe is the night we checked in (it was very very late) we couldn't find a convenience type store close by to get snacks and drinks but again, it was very late and we weren't at all familiar with the area. I can't say enough good things about our stay here. :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jkoneski1

Thank you so much. It sounds like your honeymoon was truly fantastic. I am so glad we were able to be apart of it. We hope to see you again if you are ever in Portland.

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Great location convenient to Max transit, but an easy walk to downtown or the pearl. Rooms are small but well appointed and fairly quiet. Desk staff were excellent and the driftwood room was outstanding. Try to hit happy hour mid week as it's a small room. Highly recommended.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Duarte77

We appreciate you taking the time to write such a kind review. Happy Hour at the Driftwood Room is always a great place to find yourself. Again, thank you for your positive feedback, and we hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Portland.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was here for 5 nights. Fortunately I was busy at a conference during the days so I didn't need to spend much time in the room. It was quite small and would have been difficult to do any work.

Check-in was fast and friendly and the lobby was small with some seating and movie posters all around. There's a bar and restaurant off the lobby - I had an appetizer and beer in the bar one night. That would rate 3 stars - slow service, got order wrong, food not hot, beer not cold.

Like many old, renovated downtown hotels the rooms are a tight squeeze but had some nice, elegant touches. The bathroom had a shower stall but no tub, and the small sink didn't have much room to spread out toiletries. There were cracks and stains in the fixtures suggesting they were older and getting worn out. Towels were fine and I ended up not using housekeeping - you can hang a tag on the door if you want to reuse towels and don't need the bed made. The shampoo and soaps lasted me all week so no worries. Supposedly good for the environment which seems to be important in Portland.

The bed and linens were comfortable and the flat-screen TV worked fine. I didn't have to use heat or air because the outdoor temperatures were mild. There are quite a few optional services if you happen to be there for R&R instead of business. The hotel website details all of these, although I couldn't wrap my mind around some of them ("pet spiritual menu"?).

This hotel is several blocks away from the bustling part of downtown which makes it quieter - less traffic. Seemed to be a safe area walking back and forth even at night. I would stay here again even though there are quite a few similar choices in the area.

Room Tip: If you want a tub or more space you'll have to request certain rooms and price levels.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

We appreciate you taking the time to write such a positive review. Our staff takes great pride in the service they offer and will be thrilled to know they were able to have an impact. I truly hope that should your travels bring you back through Portland, you will consider returning to us.