“Stunning”

Ranked #4 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“Stunning”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I love this hotel. It is beautiful, full of character, comfortable, and much different than staying in a chain. The decor is old Hollywood and harkens to a time of glamor and beauty. The lobby has a wonderful place to sit and enjoy champagne cocktails and imagine what life was like back in the 30's and 40's.

The rooms are comfortable with nice amenities, soft towels, and cushy beds. The mini bar is well stocked and contains items that you don't normally see (moisturizer and such), and is at a price point you would expect for the convenience. The TV is a nice size, and the coffee in the room was good.

Great location next to the Max station, near shopping, and lots of good restaurants. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms are the higher floors have some great views of the city. I know, obvious, but true.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for the great review regarding you stay with us. It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself and had a great time. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back next time you are in Portland.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I have nothing but compliments for this hotel- it's been my all-time favorite place to stay in Portland every time I've been fortunate enough to visit this beautiful city. It might not be right in the middle of downtown but it's perfectly convenient with being just a quick walk away from the Jeld-Wen field MAX stop. The front desk staff, bell hops and housekeeping are all super friendly, helpful and attentive. The room might be a bit small for some people's expectations but I think it's petite size adds to the hotel's overall charm. I adore the classic, old-time Hollywood vibe with the portraits of Errol Flynn, Audrey Hepburn, Gregory Peck etc. that hang in some of the rooms. The bed is really cozy and the bathroom is well stocked with all the usual toiletries. My other favorite thing about Hotel DeLuxe is that they have Gracie's in there and they make my favorite, favorite breakfast. I really can't say enough good things about this place and I hope the next time I'm in Portland I'll be able to stay at Hotel DeLuxe again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Your compliments are truly appreciated and we are honored to be your favorite hotel in Portland. Next time you are able to visit Portland we do hope to see you again.
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 23 December 2013

The wife and I stayed here on a recent trip up to Portland, for a concert. We live in Salem, and spend 2-3 weekends a month staying in hotels in Portland and just enjoying the city. I had previously spent about a week's worth of nights at this hotel for business stays, but this was our first stay at Hotel deLuxe, purely for pleasure. As with all previous stays, this hotel cemented itself as the top hotel in Portland.

We stayed in a 2-room Premier Suite on the 6th floor and everything was perfect. The first room is a large and rather open room, with a luxurious leather sofa on the back wall, allowing you to relax and look out the window at downtown/the west hills or watch some TV. Off to the right of this room (through a door that does close completely) is the bedroom. This very spacious bedroom contains a mini-bar, TV, walk-in closet (with amazing robes) and the most comfortable hotel bed you'll find in Portland. There is also a work desk in this room as well.

The bathroom has the "Old Big City Luxury" feel to it, and is truly comfortable and functional. They even have the exclusive "Make it So" button, where you can have pretty much anything legal, that you desire, delivered to your room. They really go the extra 10 miles to make you feel like a celebrity.

I also have to note that the valet parking at HD is far superior to all others in the metro area. I have had to wait 20+ minutes at many downtown hotels, but I have never arrived in the lobby, without my car already waiting for me, when staying at HD. It's a very impressive thing, and it truly ups the quality of stay.

You have your Hotel Monaco, your Nines, your Heathman and the 2-3 other truly luxury hotels in Portland...then you have Hotel deLuxe, which is a true step above the rest.

Room Tip: Spend a few extra dollars and upgrade to a Premier Suite. True Hollywood celebrity class.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Your review is quite flattering. To say we are the best in town is certainly high praise and I truly appreciate it. The premier suites are beautiful rooms and I am glad you found it to be perfect. I will also pass your compliments on to the valet team. Thank you again, and we do hope to see you again sometime soon.
Oakland, California
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stayed here last week with my husband for a night on the town in Portland. Beautiful old hotel with a vintage Hollywood theme within walking distance of the delightful Pearl District eateries and shops. Also near Nordstrom and Macy's.

The staff is very attentive, friendly and helpful. From the bellhops and parking attendants to the front counter staff; we found them all courteous and you could tell they enjoy their jobs.

We had one if the best rooms on the top floor with city and hill views. The rooms were very nicely appointed and the beds and pillows let us sleep well after a night out in Portland. Really a special place to stay. We would definitely recommend the deLuxe and plan to return again in the near future.

Room Tip: Top floors with views are nice!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us and providing some feedback about your trip. It sounds like you had a great night on the town and I am glad we could be a part of it. Recommendations are truly the best compliment and we look forward to the chance of seeing you again.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed here long ago when it was still the Mallory. It's much nicer now. Service is friendly and the location is great (just a couple of blocks from Max, Portland's light rail.) The food isn't wonderful but there are lots of nice places to eat in Portland.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JimiHSeattleWA
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback regarding you recent stay. I am glad you like the updates to the property and were able to take advantage of our fabulous location. We would love to welcome you back next time you travel to Portland.
Friday Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This used to be one of my favorite hotels. Over the last eight years or so I have stayed here numerous times for work and occasionally for pleasure. I particularly enjoyed the Driftwood Lounge which had great retro-ambience and great service - the bartender was very entertaining. So this November I decided that my beloved and I needed a romantic break and the DeLuxe and the Driftwood Lounge would be the centerpiece. So we flew to Portland from Seattle for a much-needed break. We planned on drinks at the lounge, followed by Theater followed by a late dinner in the lounge. We even got on the hotel's website the day before our arrival to peruse the menu. Imagine my surprise when I arrived and at check-in (only after I told the clerk how happy I was to return and was looking forward to the Driftwood) to FINALLy learn that the Driftwood was not open to their hotel guests.

The Driftwood was closed not due to renovation, a water leak or some other calamity. No, it was closed to the hotel's guests because management had decided to alter their business model and become a movie set for some Fox movie rather than meet their commitments to their guests. And no where during the reservation process nor during my visit to their website the day before we arrived was there any mention that a key hotel service was going to be unavailable. No email was sent to me warning me and giving me an opportunity to cancel.

On top of all that, management rewarded my loyalty by giving us a room on the top floor with significant fan noise and a view of the internal building well. So as I said this USED to be my favorite hotel in Portland. Unfortunately, I now have a different story to tell my clients about sticking to their business model and not venturing into new and inappropriate territory just for bragging rights - "our hotel was a movie set", does nothing if you have chased loyal customers away as a result. I am still, a month later, very, very disappointed.

Room Tip: Call before you confirm your room about the location of your room, avoid the top floor and interior...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travel_Pin_Man
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
I am very sorry to hear that you were so displeased with your recent stay with us. Please accept my deepest apology. Should a similar situation occur again, we will take additional steps to advise our guests. Thank for taking to share your experience and for being a repeat guest. I hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future.
Duvall, Washington
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Hotel was tailored to meeting the needs of you and your four legged friend. Highly recommended for all travelers. Rooms were a bit small, but the hotel really made up for it with their service options. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. The Hotel deLuxe is proud to be able to cater to guests that want to bring their pets along with them. I am happy to hear that you would choose to stay with us again, and we look forward to welcoming you and your four legged friend back to Portland.