“Great Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Detroit, Michigan
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I'm not usually a fan of hotels, especially chains. The Hotel deLuxe exceeds expectations in every way. The staff is just over the top lovely. The rooms are too. This is a great place to stay when you're in town on business or just a romantic getaway. Away from the hustle and bustle of downtown, but within walking distance of everything. Don't hesitate if you have a choice

Room Tip: The corner rooms are luxorious
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Felicia M M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed at Hotel Deluxe in early April for 5 nights & I was expecting it to be the highlight of our hotel stays. Unfortunately it was not. In saying that, it was not awful, but it was definitely more average than anticipated. The staff were courteous enough, but not overly friendly. Some were quite helpful, but they were overall not particularly warm. An exception to this were the restaurant and cocktail staff, who were all incredibly attentive, helpful, friendly, professional and knowledgeable. Upon arrival we were also unpleasantly surprised that the parking available was an additional cost per day of around $30. While this in and of itself is not that much of an issue, it is not made clear anywhere on the website that I could see, so that was quite an irritating introduction to the hotel. The room itself was surprisingly small, though prettily decorated, and the bed quite comfortable. The bathroom was also quite small but recently and tastefully updated. It was very clean, and the products (shampoo, shower gel etc) supplied by the hotel were really lovely. I read other reviews prior to our visit which mentioned very thin walls - we also observed this unfortunate factor however as we were in a deluxe room we didnt have neighbours so it was not so much of an issue. One other negative we experienced was room service - it may simply have been what we ordered, but it was not good - burgers with salad was my request, and the burger was dry, and the 'salad' consisted of a cup of rocket leaves: no dressing or any other accompaniment. I would probably investigate other accomodation options if visiting Portland on holiday again.

Room Tip: Thin walls so a room with no neighbours if you dont want to hear them, i.e. a King deluxe or better.
1 Thank Phibbsey
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a week during a conference.

Originally I chose the hotel based on recommendations from others and the convenient location in downtown.

The hotel has a very distinctive, "glamorous" atmosphere that is apparent immediately upon entering. The front desk was exceptionally welcoming and professional. With some similarly classed venues, I frequently come across slightly curt desk agents. The staff at the hotel De Luxe was exceptionally welcoming and useful. An associate of mine had vaguely described a recommended pasta restaurant in town, but I had forgotten the name; I asked one of the agents at the desk, who I believe was the desk manager, if she knew what my companion was talking about - she was able to immediately reconcile my description with a location and description of the restaurant, as well as directions. I asked for other recommendations while I was in town, and the desk was very well versed and informative.

Although I was seldom in my room due to my schedule, the rooms were well kept, styled, comfortable and quiet.

The hotel also had an excellent restaurant and bar within, which I did not expect.

Overall, great experience, plan to stay here again on future visits.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lewis R
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I loved the old Hollywood theme. It is consistent throughout the hotel, but not gaudy or over the top, just classy. This old hotel is very beautiful and clean. All of the fixtures and furniture are new but vintage looking! The Room Service prices are very good. Staff was great, also! It is located to many restaurants and shopping downtown. Kudos to the night agent who got us coffee when we had to leave at 4:30 in the morning!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is our first time staying in Portland, I chose this hotel, because I found a pretty good deal, and felt like it was in the middle of everywhere that we wanted to be. We rented a car, the hotel itself was easy to find, all staff was very kind, to give advice and point you in the right direction. While here we mostly walked from place to place. Its still a nice distance, but we enjoy walking. The hotel room, upon arrival, was very clean, smaller than expected, but really had everything you could possibly need. We had breakfast at Gracies, I had the french toast (Oh my delectable!) and my husband had the omelette. Price and amazingness of the french toast were great. When we go back to portland I would stay here again.

pacific northwest
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Formerly the Mallory, this classic, movie-themed boutiquish hotel will delight even those who don't like olde movies. Located conveniently across an Interstate from downtown and the Pearl District, the deLuxe is a quiet retreat in an already quiet town.

The beauty of the place is what they have saved from the original Art Deco hotel. Original doors and doorknobs, ornate decoration and soaring ceiling heights have been saved while public spaces and rooms--particularly the bathrooms--have been plushed-up.

On top of it all, the staff is exceptionally accomodating and competent.

And Gracie's, the Hotel deLuxe's restaurant, offers a tasty and reasonably priced menu. Our breakfast was excellent!

1 Thank samdeeds
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We have stayed at the deLuxe for years, even before it was the deLuxe! We loved their transition remodel to the glamorous and elegant. Rooms are very clean and very comfortable, the staff are knowledgeable, helpful and cheerful. The complimentary breakfast was a GREAT bonus. The hotel is perfectly located for walking around Portland-festivals, markets, shopping, athletic events, museums, restaurants, theater, symphony and book store. We start all our road trips at the deLuxe and we like to end our trips with a final stop at the deLuxe before heading home. It is first rate.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family