2,959 results
All reviewsdriftwood roomdriftwood barhollywood themegracie's restaurantde luxepillow menuthe pearlrooms are smallbeautiful hotelcorner roomhappy hourroom servicehotel barold schoolfront desk staffvalet parkingfew blocks
Reviewed 2 December 2008

My boyfriend and I spent the weekend in Portland and stayed 3 nights at the hotel deLuxe. We had never been to the city and were happily surprised at how central this hotel is to the streetcar stations, shopping districts, and many restaurants and bars. All of the employees were very friendly and helpful. We found the decor stylish and classy. The small but cozy Driftwood bar located off the lobby had several unique cocktails and became a favorite place of ours after a long day exploring the city on foot.
The only complaint we have about the hotel was that our room was cold and drafty. It seems like this is an old hotel that was recently renovated, so it is to be expected, I guess. Otherwise we enjoyed our stay thoroughly.

Reviewed 2 December 2008

I had a great two-night stay at the Hotel Deluxe. The public areas are classy and well-kept, and the rooms are the same.

I had a standard room on the 6th floor with a great view of downtown. Great bed and linens, LCD TV, plenty of closet and drawer space, nice bathroom, and a very-well-stocked mini bar which included all kinds of goodies and useful items beyond snacks and drinks, priced pretty reasonably. Iron and ironing board, as well as a refrigerator and safe. Room was quiet and comfortable. The room was a bit small, but perfect for one, cozy for two. The larger rooms are quite big by comparison, and can easily accommodate five or more people, if you're meeting friends for a drink in the room or something like that.

All the staff are very professional, and extremely eager to please. Lots of little cute extras thrown guests' way, which I won't mention here in order to keep them a pleasant surprise.

The bar in the lobby is very handsome, dark, and chill. A great place to have a quiet drink. Gracie's restaurant served up an excellent Sunday brunch. I can only suspect that the rest of the menu is equally-good.

I used the exercise room one morning, and everything was in good working order: Treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, and weight bench. There's a TV, and towels and water are provided. The business center next to it has two computer terminals and a printer, and I appreciated that there was no charge to use them. Wifi is available for a fee.

If I could find any fault, it would be a middling one: Each room has climate control via a wall unit, which is pretty quiet (though far from silent). Though I ended up setting the thermostat to ever-higher numbers, the room never got quite 'toasty'. This isn't to say I was uncomfortable, but it was a bit odd nonetheless.

A great stay, at a very good price. The same room in a larger, more 'touristy' town than Portland would easily fetch a price far higher than I paid, at least twice as much.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank jeffpeff
Reviewed 30 November 2008

We stayed at Hotel deLuxe at becuase of the location (downtown portland) and chic style. Our room was quite small, but comfortable and well furnished. Most of the downtown Portland attractions were just a few blocks away from the hotel and the staff were helpful with directions, parking, and suggestions for meals - especially breakfast. The room was quiet, even though the hotel is near the highway.

We did have a bit of a problem with the bathtub drain while we stayed. This was taken care of while we were out for the day. I also recieved a note from the manager thanking us for our stay and the feedback we provided.

Overall - its a stylish hotel and the value is pretty good.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2008

I had stayed at the Hotel Deluxe a few years ago (2004) when it was under different ownership (named The Mallory). I enjoyed it then, but enjoyed it more this time! I am a HUGE fan of the movies from the 40s and 50s, so the "old Hollywood" decor of the hotel fit me to a tee!!

And guess what? They have valet parking now! Yippee! I was travelling by myself on this particular trip - arrived in the dark and the rain - how nice to have a friendly young man help me with my bags and park my car.

I found the staff to be friendly in a relaxed "what can we do to help you" kind of way. I was attending a birthday party at a restaurant across town. The staff printed out directions for me there and back. I have travelled extensively through the years and am burned out with the cookie cutter hotels with staff that you know wish they were working some other type of job. Not so at the Hotel Deluxe. This will be my hotel of choice when I come to town and my sister's house is full! Oh - and they're pet friendly. Didn't bring my "baby" (toy rat terrier) with me this time, but how nice to know that I can!

Reviewed 24 November 2008

My husband and I had a weekend getaway to Portland and stayed at the Hotel deLuxe. I was pleased that seeing the hotel in person was just as nice as seeing photos of it on their website. We were greeted by very nice and accommodating staff members who cared about the comforts of their guests and were always willing to help. The Queen Deluxe room had the basic outfits of a bed, closet, armoire, flat panel TV, and writing desk. The bathroom had plenty of towels, Aveda brand toiletries, and a good sized shower over tub. The room wasn't huge but it was a good 200sqft that had the essentials. Don't plan on purchasing from their snack/sundries bin since I had forgotten my toothpaste and they were selling their toothbrush and toothpaste kit for $15!

The hotel has a romantic-looking restaurant called Gracie's and an intimate bar/lounge called the Driftwood Room. We didn't get to eat at Gracie's but the Driftwood would be a perfect place to bring a date for cocktails because of the cozy atmosphere.

Although the location is on the outskirts of the main downtown area, we enjoyed the convenience of the MAX lightrail stop nearby which brought us to the Saturday Market, the Oregon Zoo, and the Pioneer Place shopping area is only a brisk 15-min walk from the hotel. So if you're looking for a pleasant and casual stay, I would highly recommend this hotel for its unique decor, reasonable value, and charming staff. If I make another visit to Portland, I would probably book at their sister hotel, Lucia, based on its more central downtown location alone.