“Favorite Place to Stay in Portland!”

McMenamins Kennedy School
Ranked #33 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Entiat
“Favorite Place to Stay in Portland!”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This place is full of funky, artistic and historical fun. Simple, roomy, guest rooms have been refurbished from old schoolrooms. Comfy beds, clean bathrooms. The real draw is the rest of the building; multiple pubs and restaurants, a brewery, a movie theater, a tiny cigar bar (AKA "Detention") where you can enjoy a bourbon and cigar---worth the experience even if you are a non-smoker like me! The soaking pool is wonderful, just wish it was open a bit later each evening. Great neighboorhood with the fun and artistic Rose District within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Gloria M, Manager at McMenamins Kennedy School, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. The building alone is a wonderful reason to visit us. Next you are here you may want to try the self-guided Art Walk. It is a fun activity to do if you are interested in the history and art work in the building. We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Portland.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I have become o big fan of the McMenamin's properties. The Kennedy School is the latest in our list of hotels we've visited. The property is in the suburbs north of the city center. (fairly close to the airport) There are pubs and restaurants, the heated soaking pool, a movie theater and meeting rooms available. The quirky artwork is here as in every property. We stayed in the new "English Wing" with a large, clean room and a comfy bed. The books on the shelves prompted my wife to read enough to buy a copy of one of the books from Powell's the next day. We filled our room's mason jar with cider and strolled through the school before taking a dip in the soaking pool. We may have found a new home base for future trips to Portland.

Room Tip: A benefit of the English Wing is its distance from the hustle and bustle - and noise - of the rest o...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful review and feedback. We are delighted to hear our guests are enjoying the books we provide in the rooms. It gave you folks the perfect reason to head to Powells Book Store. We look forward to seeing you again and hope we do become your home base in Portland.
Tucson
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This is a total experience, not just a hotel. Do not book here if you want a typical hotel, you will be disappointed. If however, you want an eclectic experience - this is the place for you. No TV, no radio, just a elementary school converted into a living art vibe. No coffee in the room, but free coffee in the lobby @ 5am, so just a short walk. Everywhere you look there is art and a cleverly named room that is a gathering place - a theatre, steam pool, and too many bars to name. Our kids bought their passport and we had fun exploring to obtain stamps. They brew their own beers, distill their own alcohols & wines (elsewhere). Good bfast in the courtyard, ok happy hour. A fun place to try!

Room Tip: We had the Cherry room which faced the main street, did not seem to matter
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Gloria M, Manager at McMenamins Kennedy School, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful review. We are not your typical hotel and take pride in saying that. The new McMenamins Passport is definitely a fun way to explore the property and other locations. We look forward to seeing you again.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Went here for a meet up group. We met downstairs in the boiler room and mingled for a couple of hours. Later some of us went upstairs to the restarant for dinner. It was late but they served til after midnight on the weekends. The food was really good and the price was not too bad. Our group was 6 and everyone said their food was good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Gloria M, Manager at McMenamins Kennedy School, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank your for taking the time to review us. We hope to see you next time you are in town and be sure to check out our soaking pool and movie theater as well.
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a week long stay at Kennedy. While the decor is lovely that's about as far as it goes. Our room was not cleaned each day. One day I came in and my nook had been moved to my bed. Not by me or my husband. There was a sign on the bed about how they don't make beds when personal items are left on them.

Service at the main restaurant during breakfast was horrible. The servers rarely refilled coffee. Also, it took an extremely long time for food orders to come out (even when they were not busy). The food was good when it did arrive.

The room temperature was quite chilly.

Locals crowded in the soaking pools way past the 8:00pm timeline. Every single night!!!

The front desk staff did a poor job of welcoming guest.

Suggestion: Serve tea and coffee in the lobby for guest. Or at least extend the hours that free coffee is available to say... 5:00pm. I paid over $2.00 for a cup of coffee at the bar because I wanted it in the early afternoon.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Feltmaker13
Gloria M, Manager at McMenamins Kennedy School, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. The service you received is not to our company standard. The issues with the resturant service is being addressed with the restaurant manager. I will be sending you a private message so we can discuss your stay with us.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I'm glad I had the chance to see this funky schoolhouse hotel. I was here on a Thursday but can imagine a weekend here, exploring all the bars and the soaking pool, would be fun.

Unfortunately, I had to sleep in my sweater. The tiny space heater in my room couldn't cope with 12-foot ceilings and a wall of windows, not to mention that there's no way to hear the bathroom. It's not particularly cold outside now (my phone says 45F) so I can't imagine how frigid it gets in winter! The bed had a motel-style blanket and a cotton coverlet; no comforter.

There also was only one accessible outlet in the room, which was so old that my phone charger kept falling out of it. I had to plug my phone into the bathroom outlet... Not ideal.

My room also faced 33rd (an arterial street) and noisy traffic started up around 5am.

The guy who checked me in seemed upset. He walked me through what was open but didn't really seem like he was interested in being welcoming. He answered multiple phone calls while checking me in, and seemed exasperated with people calling to ask about availability for the coming weekend. I have no idea if these were the 500th and 501st such calls of his shift, but it really felt like he would rather be anywhere else.

The restaurants and bars are gorgeous, and the old schoolhouse building is fun to explore. You're walking distance to everything on Alberta. And the rooms are unique and cute. I just don't know if I would choose to stay here again, given everything.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank AEC in SF
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We take all feedback seriously and will be private messaging you.
Alsea, Oregon
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed here originally because it was walking distance from a restaurant we wanted to go to and it ended up being the star of the show. 6 bars and quaint rooms and if one of your group ius not quite done with a drink before going to the next watering hole, they just take it with them. all in a single building Kennedy school is almost like disneyland for grownups. The boiler room is a three story pub style bar, the honors room bar is refined and casual, or you can get sent to detention and smoke a cigar. (not me) my only issue with the whole place was the sounds that go bump in the night andnthe really wierd dreams both Peg and I had while in our room. I highly recommend a stay here if you like excellent cocktails and varied atmosphere. for breakfast, we at at the courtyard restaurant and the atmosphere was casual and irreverently humorous. The food was good the portions big enough Peg and I could have shared one breakfast.

Room Tip: If you are superstitious, stay in the english wing. the old school rooms were very comfortable but b...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Gloria M, Manager at McMenamins Kennedy School, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. It is a fun place to stay. We look forward to having you next time you are in town.