“one night stay”

Howard Johnson Portland Airport
Ranked #108 of 139 Hotels in Portland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Roundup
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The hotel was old and run down. The room smelled terrible. The carpet was old and looked dirty, as did not want to walk on it w/o shoes on. Would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank Brenda S
Bonamassaville
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I recently stayed at the Howard Johnson Portland Airport Hotel for multiple consecutive nights. When I entered the building of the first room they put me in, I was greeted by a very foul smell in the hallway; a urine/chemical/smoke type smell. I entered the room and it was no better. It was very bad smelling including a heavy cigarette smoke smell. The bathroom had very visable mold on many areas of the ceiling. The toilet seat was peeling and the toilet hadn't been cleaned. The sink was really grungy. The walls were damaged and poorly repaired. It was really late, so I stayed in that room one night.

The next day I demanded a different room. They let me choose one out of several and the best one in a different building was a good deal better than the first, but nothing special. The remainder of my stay would have been relatively ok, but the final morning of my stay is when I found multiple live bed bugs in the bed!! Yea, happy surprise! They were bloody (I killed them in the bed), so you figure out what they were doing while I slept. I was angry and disgusted beyond words.

Tip on looking for bed bugs: check for them before any light begins to enter the room (like before sunrise). I woke up before dawn the last morning of my stay to catch an early flight, so I think the bed bugs disappeared before I got out of bed the previous mornings.

I expressed major displeasure with the receptionist as I was checking out and she gave me a business card to contact the hotel manager with. When I returned to my home, I emailed and called the hotel at least four times (all the emails were ignored) and on the phone, I was assured my complaint would be given directly to the manager and the problems would be addressed for future customers.

All I wanted of the manager was an apology for some inexcusable faults to this hotel, but I never got one.

The price of the stay was not what I would consider very expensive, nor was it so low that I would consider it a hotel to obviously avoid. These problems I experienced should not have been allowed by management.

On one positive note, their staff was pretty friendly. But if you have other options, definitely check into them before staying at the Howard Johnson Portland Airport Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sloebowl
Travellers also viewed these Portland hotels
Econo Lodge at Port of Portland
Days Inn Portland Central
Days Inn Portland Central
#98 of 139 in Portland
Chestnut Tree Inn Portland Mall 205

Been to Howard Johnson Portland Airport? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Howard Johnson Portland Airport

Property: Howard Johnson Portland Airport
Address: 8247 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR 97220-4946
Region: United States > Oregon > Portland
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Shuttle Bus service Swimming Pool Airport Transportation
Ranked #108 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:2 star — Howard Johnson Portland Airport 2*
Need a place to sleep, eat and feel like home? Howard Johnson Portland Airport is the place for you. With recently renovated rooms, free Hot Deluxe Breakfast Including Waffles, Oatmeal, Juices and other great items, adjacent award-winning Indian Food Restaurant "Namaste", free shuttle service to and from the PDX Airport. Located within a Walking distance of "The Grotto". ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Howard Johnson Portland Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Howard Johnson Portland Airport Hotel Portland