“Pet friendly and clean”

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Portland Airport
Ranked #63 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This was a nice place to stay. There were three TV's in the room (only one updated tv). The room was large enough that we were able to have guests and not feel cramped and nobody had to sit on the bed. The water was hot and the bed was comfortable. That being said, it could use some updates to the carpet, the shower head and the pillows. I would stay there again (and probably will) if I can get an online rate. I wouldn't pay the normal rate to stay here.

Room Tip: Pet friendly rooms are on the 1st floor at the end.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you for your recent review of the Shilo Inn Portland Airport Suites. We were happy to accommodate you and your pet and look forward to your return stay. We are in the process of updating our guest rooms and sincerely hope you find your next stay even more enjoyable.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

My family and were staying here after a trip to Portland. The check in time is 4 pm which is later to what I am use to but made no difference. What I did not expect was the amount of traffic that gridlocks the road in front of the hotel. It took roughly an hour to travel due to the traffic on that street. Upon check in we go to our room to discover that the card lock system that is on the door does not work. This was at 6 pm. I alerted the front desk about the security issue to where they sent someone to try and fix it. 1 hour later the maintenance man still could not figure out how to fix it. By this time my family was hungry but we could not leave due to the room being worked on. Finally my wife went to the front desk to inquire about switching rooms. Reluctantly, they let us switch to a new room. For the trouble all they gave us was extra vouchers for a free glass of wine at the restaurant. Our new room smelled of stale cigarette smoke and the comforter had burn holes in it, but at least the door locked and we could go eat dinner. The next morning we woke and used our breakfast vouchers that we were given when we checked in. Breakfast consisted of re-hydrated eggs, potato squares, bacon, and sausage. Even though we went down there at around 8:30, they still were just setting up for breakfast.

The hotel as a whole is very outdated, and the staff acts like they would rather live on the street than work there. If it was not for the fact that every other Holiday Inn express was booked due to the busy weekend I would have never chosen this facility. Honestly it is not worth the money, even though it is not that expensive.

Room Tip: Honestly, just don't stay here. If you do stay on any floor but the first. Smokers stink it up...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TJ O

I would personally like to offer my sincere apologies for the difficulties you had during your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Portland Airport. There is no excuse for the staff’s reluctance in changing your room immediately when you experienced problems with your door lock. I assure that I will review these procedures with our staff and again apologize for the problems you encountered.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

As others have stated, the rooms are REALLY dated, including old-school tube TV.
I don't need a reminder every time I turn around that I'm staying at Shilo Inn. Every light switch in the room has a Shilo logo, it's on all the faucet knobs, on the phone next to the toilet (yes, there is a phone on the wall next to the toilet!), on the glass divider in the room, etc. I get it already!
The staff was very friendly in the hotel, as well as the restaurant. The breakfasts I had here were fresh and flavorful. Typical menu items.
There is a shuttle van that goes to the airport every 30 minutes. If you want to go downtown, catch the van to the airport and get on the Red Line Max Rail. $2.50 for a 2-hour ticket. Hop off and get back on at any stop. Very convenient!
Now a couple complaints: Normally when I stay at a hotel alone for multiple nights, I leave the Do Not Disturb sign out because I set all my toiletries out by the sink (I really don't like people I don't know touching my stuff in the bathroom. If I need the room cleaned, I put all that stuff away and let them clean). I also don't see the need for fresh towels when there are plenty available for at least a couple days, and I don't need the bed changed/made every day.
So, I had hung the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door handle and went out for the day. When I came back that evening, the room had been cleaned! My personal toiletries had been gathered together and moved to the back corner of the counter top by the sink! Not cool!!
I'm not a light sleeper, but I was awakened at 3am by the person in the room above me walking around. I could also hear the people in the room next to me. So, be warned. I think there are a lot of flight crews that stay here, so there may be people coming and going at all hours of the night.
Will I stay here again? Certainly! Friendly staff, convenient location, good price.
KCCO!

Room Tip: Ask for the 4th floor, so there is nobody in rooms above you. I'll do that next time I stay ther...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your recent experience at the Shilo Inn Suites Portland Airport. I want to sincerely apologize for the housekeeping error of them entering your room when you had the “do not disturb” sign out. I will make sure that our head housekeeper reviews our policies with all of our staff. I am also pleased to tell you that we are in the process of updating the hotel to include new bedding packages and flat screen TV’s in all the guest areas. We look forward to your return stay.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Our family just got back from a wonderful trip to Portland. The Shilo Inn Suites Hotel was fantastic. The rooms were absolutely huge and although the decor is a bit dated (but it does appear they are slowing changing that too), everything was very clean and comfortable. The pool and hot tub are very big, well stocked with extra towels and open 24 hours. The fitness center had great equipment, plus a steam room and a sauna. For the price you can't beat these amenities and on top of that they provide an excellent full hot breakfast including coffee or tea in their restaurant or continental breakfasts each morning. The hotel also gave us a coupon for a complimentary beer or glass of wine, which was nice after a long day. Overall this was a great place for the family. The only downside might be that there is some noise from the nearby airport, but that is certainly out of the hotel's control. I know our family will be back and I've already recommended this hotel to my family and friends visiting the area or flying out of PDX.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your recent review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Portland Airport. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. I am excited to share your review with our staff. It is such a motivation to the entire staff to hear from our guests in such a positive manner. We look forward to your next stay.

Best regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very old. The rooms seem to be well kept and clean but old. Rooms are large and have kitchenettes. A sofa sleeper and dinette. I love the large coffee cups.
I didn't have breakfast but I was told it was good.
The iron and board are in a cabinet that was probably something my parents used years ago.
The tv in the bathroom was pretty retro also.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank tayshan1
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at the Shilo Inn Suites Portland Airport. We are very happy to hear that you found the rooms well kept and clean. We are in the process of updating our rooms and making continuous improvement in the appearance of the hotel. We hope you will give us another opportunity to experience the changes we are making.

Best regards,

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Great and clean hotel. Spacious room. Helpful staff. Great choices for breakfast: sweets in the lobby or savory at the restaurant. Bartender was very kind at the bar, plus we got a gratuity drink tickets. I am not sure if the housekeepers are really observing the YOU DECIDE policy to manage towels! That is the only negative point I have to say.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Suites, Portland, OR, Airport. We are very pleased that you found the hotel clean and the staff helpful. I will make sure that we review our policy regarding towel service with our housekeeping department. We look forward to the next opportunity of serving you.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Great value! The rooms are very spacious, quiet and clean with no missing detail. The staff is very helpful and with the restaurant and bar in the same building it makes it even better.
Besides a poor wifi the rest is hard to beat!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business