“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Great Location!
Service was Fabulous..
Pool hot and jacuzzi too.
Large rooms with great amenities
Bath very large
Shuttle service went out of the way to be helpful and even dropped us at Alamo instead of making us go back to the airport
Highly Recommend

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ClarionPDXManagement, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
I am very pleased to hear that you had a great stay! I will let everyone know to keep up the good work!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Bend, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I spend a lot of time in Choice hotels... I'm a member of their "Elite Diamond" level, meaning I've spent over 40 room nights per year with Choice.

I've learned that the properties are hit and miss, and this one SHOULD be a solid hit, but alas:

I made my second reservation here and as usual reserved the whirlpool room. When we checked in, my partner noticed that there was black mold in the jets of the tub. I notified the staff right away. They offered to clean the jets on the spot because the property was fulling booked. My girl is extremely sensitive to chemical odors (I'm not a fan either), and so we respectfully declined. They then offered to return 2,000 of my 12,000 points I had redeemed for this particular night and a steeply discounted rate for our second evening.

We had just spent an awesome evening enjoying the art walk in the Pearl district and had REALLY been looking forward to a soak. I also almost ALWAYS book a tub suite; if I have to be on the road, I might as well enjoy it. So, I base which property I book at in a given area on tub availability. So, that being said, we declined their initial offer. We requested a full refund of the points for the evening. They agreed.

Furthermore, they agreed to move us in to a new unit the next morning. The first time I went to the desk, the agent told me that they were "deep cleaning" the tub and that she would call when we could move. She called about 30 minutes later, and I went and got keys for the new room. Well, another failure. This unit, despite "deep cleaning" the tub, was in the same condition: black mold up in the jets. NASTY!

So, per my understanding, the GM actually stepped in at this point and went over some cleaning procedures with the head of housekeeping. When we returned from our day of Portland shopping, etc, our new room was indeed clean and the tub appeared to have no mold in the jets.

Fast forward 3 weeks; my points refund finally posts, and it's short. First, I attempt to fill out a form online to seek remedy; the form is broken and I am unable to submit my feedback. I then call the reward center, and they are unable to assist me, after arguing with me, and that I need to contact the hotel directly. Next, I call Choice Hotels Guest Relations. After being on hold for about 10 minutes, the agent comes back to inform me that she was unable to reach the hotel and that she left a message and that she would follow up.

This hotel and chain are starting, like much of this industry, to falter in the VERY important area of customer service. I don't guess that I'll be an "Elite Diamond" member next year after renewal time. I'll most likely be trying another chain..

In closing, this property is fairly nice, the service on my first stay was awesome, but there are deficiencies. Everyone makes mistakes; it's how we address them that set us apart. This property did not do well to address this deficiency.

If you stay here and have no issues, it'll probably meet most travelers needs. If there is an issue, they might not be able to address it well. The property is nice, and some of the staff excellent. for this reason, I gave this property 2 stars although my experience rates 1.

Room Tip: If you book a tub room, make sure it's clean!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ToeKnee_TM
On behalf of my entire staff I would like to apologize again for the less than perfect stay that you experienced. I am sorry things were not up to your expectations and I hope that you will give us another chance to show you are good our property really is. I hope all of the resolutions that have been discussed help rectify the poor service you experienced. If you need anything else please feel free to call me directly at the hotel (503-252-222)

Front Office Manager
Dallas, Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I travel 160 nights a year. So I know what I need in a hotel. The Clarion was really good. A larger than average room, with a larger than average desk. Faster than average wifi. A refrigerator, microwave, and a kitchenette sink (most do not have a kitchenette sink). A large breakfast area, with fresh eggs, waffles, two meats. And real ceramic cups and plates, and steel flatware (most have Styrofoam and plastic). Decent indoor pool and spa, and a decent workout room. Plus it's next to a pond, not a view of a parking lot. And the window opens wide and has a screen. All for a decent price. I'm hard to impress, but I liked this hotel a lot.

Room Tip: Pick the west side facing the pond.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ClarionPDXManagement, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you so much for the great review! I am glad we were able to impress you and hope to see you again in the future!

Heather C.
Roseburg, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Room clean and spacious. Corridor decor a little worn but nothing to moan about.
Bed very comfy, good quality bedding. Had a tempupedic matrice which was great (on top floor only I think).
Shower worked well, lots of good towels.
Rooms quiet, no noticeable airport noise
Staff helpful when accessing Wi-Fi. Guest computers available to print boarding passes.
Good breakfast, good range of hot items and usual cold options.
Believe they offer airport transport and long term parking deals which might be useful.
Enjoyed our stay, would stay again and recommend to others.

Dinner across the road ay Shari's for a good burger. Quick and easy after a long days traveling.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ClarionPDXManagement, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you so much for all of your positive feedback! I am glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the future!

New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Booked this hotel solely for convenience to airport given our 6 am flight. Arrived 9:30 pm after time in Portland. Shocked to get last 2 spots on a 4:30 am shuttle, with 4 am shuttle already filled. If we had been told shuttle might be an issue, we would have either not returned rental car that night , would have somehow ensured our spots were reserved, or would have stayed elsewhere. Very basic hotel (but reasonably priced) with surprisingly comfortable beds. TV signal went in and out on most channels.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
I am glad the beds were comfortable for you! With the shuttle sign up we do have limited availability on each trip, but we always try to accommodate for all of our guests, even if we have to figure out an alternative method of transportation to the airport for them. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Kalispell, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

The first thing that hit us when we opened the door was the smell of the room, some kind of fruity - sweat locker combo. We left fan on both in bathroom and in main room with Jacuzzi and went to a movie, but the smell was there the whole stay. It wasn't bad enough to complain but very distasteful. The older room was clean, but jacuzzi not run and rinsed, the dirt, hair and sand in the water was gross, we had to drain & refill before use. The bed very comfortable. Breastfast was nice. Stay was quiet. A word for Toni at front desk, when someone walks up & you are busy, you say I'll be right with you, not ignore them until the phone rings and then take the call before acknowledging their presence. I might stay here again, based soley on location to airport.

Room Tip: Ground floor had nice view of grass and bushes.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing information about your stay. I will share your input with my staff and make sure the necessary changes are addressed! I am glad that the stay was pleasant and look forward to showing you how we have improved in the future!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We dragged in very late after flying into PDX. Was SO happy to find such a comfy bed at the other end of our journey!! The staff was very friendly & quite helpful. Lots of choices for breakfast the next (actually later that) morning. When we were returning back home, my mother was on a different flight the following day from my husband & I. So we set her up back at the Clarion. The staff was very helpful in getting her on the shuttle to the airport and had food available before regular hours so she had a bite to eat. I certainly recommend this Clarion!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Lmd405

Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate the positive feedback, and look forward to your next visit.

Don Gibson