“Overall a great value, I would stay again” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Clarion Hotel Portland Airport
Ranked #45 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Kent, Washington, United States
“Overall a great value, I would stay again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located near the airport and public transportation, getting downtown was very easy. The staff was very friendly and addressed the one issue I had,which was a malfunctioning TV. The rooms were large and well furnished with a very comfortable bed. Overall my only complaint was the breakfast, it left a lot to be desired

• Stayed May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Corey F
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you again.

Don Gibson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel 3 times this year using the Park and Fly. 2 of those times my car was broken into and our belongings stolen. I am extremely disappointed in the lack of concern or care the hotel has shown and I do not feel adequate care or security is given to customer vehicles. 2 out of 3 times in a 4 month period is ridiculous. I will never stay at this hotel again. We have lost too much in valuables and car repairs.

In January 2014 we left our car while going to Hawaii. We has 2 changes of clothes, sleepwear, coats and shoes in the car trunk. We came back at midnight to find the window broken and our warm clothes missing. We complained to the hotel and and were told to call the police there was nothing they could do. We live 2 hours from Portland and had to drive home with no warm clothes, no closed-toe shoes and a missing window.This was a terrible way to end a vacation!

This month we decided to try the Park and Fly again. We left our car up front, by the door, in a handicap spot, under the security camera since the parking lot was being paved. We were going to Thailand so again we left a change of clothes and extra swimsuits and shoes. This time we stuffed the clothes under the seats to try and hide them. We got to the car and could see that it had been rummaged, glove box was open and papers were all over the seats and everything in the car was gone. The shuttle driver suggested talking to the manager but no one could find him. The front desk gave us a form to fill out and again would do nothing. No offer to call us, check the camera or anything. Someone spent some time going through the car and it was obvious by looking in the window that it had been broken into.

I really liked the hotel itself but there is no way I will ever stay again. Too expensive. Replacing a window, losing 4 pairs of jeans, 6 shirts, 2 coats, 4 pairs of shoes, 2 swimsuits, 2 nightgowns, 4 sets of undergarments and a tool set was not cheap.

I have been a Choice Hotel member for many years and this is the only hotel we have had this problem with. Thankfully there are other hotel options since this one has cost us way too much.

Room Tip: Don't leave valuables in vehicle
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Aellis123
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Aellis123,
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is unfortunate that your stay was unsatisfying. We make it a point to inform all guests to lock their vehicle and not leave anything of value behind. We should be able to leave our vehicle and feel secure about it no matter where we are, but that is not the world we live in. I am sorry that this happened to your vehicle.
Don
Coarsegold, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

This hotel was convenient for a commute to Portland Airport. The room was very nice and comfortable. The shuttle was very prompt to the airport. The staff goes out of their way to ensure their guests are happy with their stay. The rate was reasonable as well. I would return here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark B
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Mark B

Thank you for sharing your experience here at the Clarion. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and are looking forward to your next visit.

Franklin, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Recently I made a business trip to Portland and used the facilities (room and meeting room) at the Clarion Hotel Portland Airport. Upon arriving at the airport I made a quick call to be picked up by the shuttle and within 10 minutes was met by the van and driver. Very friendly and open. When we reached the hotel, the driver was quick to get my bags out of the van and help me to the front desk check-in area. At the front desk I was greeted with a broad smile and welcome. Check in was smooth.

My room was clean and tidy and the bed comfortable. I visited the meeting room that I would be using and it was nicely arranged and set up to the specifications requested. Overall I was there three days and the experiences was excellent. The location from the airport was great. No restaurant on the property for lunch or dinner but there is a restaurant within a short walking distance. Breakfast however is another story..wonderful selection, and busy workers keeping this clean and neat. Good hotel for business traveler and family passing through.

Room Tip: I always choose the top floor to keep from hearing street traffic.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DrMarc9491
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
DrMarc9491

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Clarion. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again if your travels ever bring you to Portland again.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Front desk- very helpful.....Room Service- Excellent.....entertainment on Tuesday evenings with music, food and beer/wine- all complimentary. Ice on every floor. Close to the bike trail along the Columbia River, close to I-205 with access to downtown Portland, easy access to PDX. Very impressed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
SEB5thMan,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at the Clarion. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit.
Don
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Great Location!
Service was Fabulous..
Pool hot and jacuzzi too.
Large rooms with great amenities
Bath very large
Shuttle service went out of the way to be helpful and even dropped us at Alamo instead of making us go back to the airport
Highly Recommend

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ClarionPDXManagement, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
I am very pleased to hear that you had a great stay! I will let everyone know to keep up the good work!
Bend, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I spend a lot of time in Choice hotels... I'm a member of their "Elite Diamond" level, meaning I've spent over 40 room nights per year with Choice.

I've learned that the properties are hit and miss, and this one SHOULD be a solid hit, but alas:

I made my second reservation here and as usual reserved the whirlpool room. When we checked in, my partner noticed that there was black mold in the jets of the tub. I notified the staff right away. They offered to clean the jets on the spot because the property was fulling booked. My girl is extremely sensitive to chemical odors (I'm not a fan either), and so we respectfully declined. They then offered to return 2,000 of my 12,000 points I had redeemed for this particular night and a steeply discounted rate for our second evening.

We had just spent an awesome evening enjoying the art walk in the Pearl district and had REALLY been looking forward to a soak. I also almost ALWAYS book a tub suite; if I have to be on the road, I might as well enjoy it. So, I base which property I book at in a given area on tub availability. So, that being said, we declined their initial offer. We requested a full refund of the points for the evening. They agreed.

Furthermore, they agreed to move us in to a new unit the next morning. The first time I went to the desk, the agent told me that they were "deep cleaning" the tub and that she would call when we could move. She called about 30 minutes later, and I went and got keys for the new room. Well, another failure. This unit, despite "deep cleaning" the tub, was in the same condition: black mold up in the jets. NASTY!

So, per my understanding, the GM actually stepped in at this point and went over some cleaning procedures with the head of housekeeping. When we returned from our day of Portland shopping, etc, our new room was indeed clean and the tub appeared to have no mold in the jets.

Fast forward 3 weeks; my points refund finally posts, and it's short. First, I attempt to fill out a form online to seek remedy; the form is broken and I am unable to submit my feedback. I then call the reward center, and they are unable to assist me, after arguing with me, and that I need to contact the hotel directly. Next, I call Choice Hotels Guest Relations. After being on hold for about 10 minutes, the agent comes back to inform me that she was unable to reach the hotel and that she left a message and that she would follow up.

This hotel and chain are starting, like much of this industry, to falter in the VERY important area of customer service. I don't guess that I'll be an "Elite Diamond" member next year after renewal time. I'll most likely be trying another chain..

In closing, this property is fairly nice, the service on my first stay was awesome, but there are deficiencies. Everyone makes mistakes; it's how we address them that set us apart. This property did not do well to address this deficiency.

If you stay here and have no issues, it'll probably meet most travelers needs. If there is an issue, they might not be able to address it well. The property is nice, and some of the staff excellent. for this reason, I gave this property 2 stars although my experience rates 1.

Room Tip: If you book a tub room, make sure it's clean!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ToeKnee_TM
On behalf of my entire staff I would like to apologize again for the less than perfect stay that you experienced. I am sorry things were not up to your expectations and I hope that you will give us another chance to show you are good our property really is. I hope all of the resolutions that have been discussed help rectify the poor service you experienced. If you need anything else please feel free to call me directly at the hotel (503-252-222)

Heather Crandall