“Wonderful hosts, Wonderful place!”

Lion and the Rose Victorian Guest House
Ranked #1 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
“Wonderful hosts, Wonderful place!”
Reviewed 14 May 2011

We were treated so well by the friendly hosts and given great information about the area and the B&B. We enjoyed our stay in the immaculately clean and beautifully decorated room. We were early and able to see most of the rooms before they were occupied and they are all lovely. All your needs and desires will be met by this wonderful B&B.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Conveniently located near stores and restaurants in NE Portland, this charming B&B is well worth your consideration. The house is beautiful, well tended and well appointed. Rooms are clean, quiet and spacious, and all creature comforts (TV, wi-fi, iron & board, hair dryer) are provided. Beds are comfortable. Breakfast is good, varied and ample. Hosts Dustin, Steve and their crew are all about providing the traveler with resources to make the visit more enjoyable, and a friendly and welcoming atmosphere prevailed. We will return the next time we go to Portland.

Room Tip: Check website for accurate info.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cachry
Sydney
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Unfortunately we only stayed one night at The Lion & the Rose B & B. We had a large, comfortable room which had everything we needed. Although the bathroom was small, it was clean & functional. The location, although not downtown, was close to shops, restaurants & transport. Directions, maps etc made finding the B & B easy as were directions to get to the airport. Breakfast in the large dining room was excellent. At all times, one felt that Steve & Dusty were there to help whenever needed. The 1906 house is charmingly decorated and a pleasure st stay in.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lavonna Room.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2011

My wife and I chose to stay here for our 13th Wedding Anniversary and were not disappointed one bit. Amazing staff and the house is simply beautiful. This is a true benchmark that other B&B's should strive to emulate.

• Stayed April 2011
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Despite this bed and breakfast being listed as number one on Trip Advisor, I wasn't too excited about the description so checked out all the other options before conceding that it was my best option given the price and location. However, by the end of my visit I decided that this place definitely deserves its ranking as the number one bed and breakfast.

The location absolutely could not be beat. Walking distance to Lloyd Mall, numerous restaurants and a great wine shop. Close to the I-5 and centrally located for everything else. Free public transit to the downtown although the station is a bit of a hike.

The rooms were spacious, clean and very attractively presented. It was a slight annoyance having a step up to the raised bed but I suppose added to the charm. There were notes about the old plumbing in the ensuite. The toilet and wash basin never presented a problem for me and as I had showers at the hot yoga studio I visited don't know how the showers worked. The first night I was bothered by street noise during the night as well as realized I could clearly hear everything that went on in the adjoining room. I didn't remember hearing any street noise the last three nights of my stay and the occupants of the adjoining room never made much noise. So I can't say now that either of these issues was a problem however I really couldn't see my room or the place in general being ideal for a romantic get away.

The optional continental breakfast was very convenient for me and I took advantage of this option every morning except the last when I had to leave early. The conversation with other hotel guests, fresh fruit selection and delicious coffee were worth more than the $5 charge. Other than that I had a bagel and on one morning a yogurt as well. Nothing else looked worth the calories.

The owners provide very efficient and friendly service. Everything went smoothly and 24 hour contact numbers were readily available. They are not the overly social and talkative hosts that I am accustomed to encountering at bed and breakfasts but in some ways that was a blessing!

All in all this place provided excellent value for me and I wouldn't hesitate to book again. For someone else looking for a quiet secluded romantic getaway or gourmet breakfasts (atleast during the winter months - can't comment on the full breakfasts offered the rest of the year), this place might not fit the bill.

Room Tip: Perhaps look for a room not facing the street
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Wonderful atmosphere,beautifully done Victorian B & B. Excellent continental breakfast each morning. Each room has wonderful personality. Exceptional sheets and bath products. Very eager to make one happy and comfortable. Within walking distance of many restaurants, shops, etc. Great location. Only negative: there is no assigned/special parking provisions- street parking is tough; but not impossible.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Kent, Ohio
Reviewed 24 March 2011

While in town for a conference I took two extra days to look around and decided to stay at the Lion and the Rose. Upon arriving I was a bit concerned that the neighborhood didn't fit what the B & B looked like on the website--but those fears were put to rest (I just arrived via the metro and the first thing I saw was a mall!) Those fears were allayed as soon as I walked a bit closer and loved the neighborhood with many arts and crafts homes as well as Victorians. The owners were out of town and Daisy was the host and accomodated my early arrival and gave tons of great info about Portland and the B & B; she was very gracious with time and info. The room and bed were very comfortable and the jacuzzi tub relaxing after busy days. Lots of little comforts with tea, water, fruit & cookies available as well as technology, maps, comfortable seating areas, fireplace, and maps. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business