“This inn is everything a Victorian B and B should be.”

Lion and the Rose Victorian Guest House
Ranked #1 of 34 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 May 2011

The hospitality provided by Steve and Dusty is outstanding. They were always on hand to offer advice on local sites and restaurants. The breakfasts were delicious; snacks and beverages were always available. The rooms were beautiful.

Room Tip: Check out the website which shows each room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 May 2011

I stayed in the Garden Room and every time I think about it now, I think about the great time I had there. The room was perfectly decorated, with a large old fashioned claw foot tub that was easy to relax in. The Innkeepers were very helpful with any questions I had, and maps were available.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2011

We were treated so well by the friendly hosts and given great information about the area and the B&B. We enjoyed our stay in the immaculately clean and beautifully decorated room. We were early and able to see most of the rooms before they were occupied and they are all lovely. All your needs and desires will be met by this wonderful B&B.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Conveniently located near stores and restaurants in NE Portland, this charming B&B is well worth your consideration. The house is beautiful, well tended and well appointed. Rooms are clean, quiet and spacious, and all creature comforts (TV, wi-fi, iron & board, hair dryer) are provided. Beds are comfortable. Breakfast is good, varied and ample. Hosts Dustin, Steve and their crew are all about providing the traveler with resources to make the visit more enjoyable, and a friendly and welcoming atmosphere prevailed. We will return the next time we go to Portland.

Room Tip: Check website for accurate info.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cachry
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Unfortunately we only stayed one night at The Lion & the Rose B & B. We had a large, comfortable room which had everything we needed. Although the bathroom was small, it was clean & functional. The location, although not downtown, was close to shops, restaurants & transport. Directions, maps etc made finding the B & B easy as were directions to get to the airport. Breakfast in the large dining room was excellent. At all times, one felt that Steve & Dusty were there to help whenever needed. The 1906 house is charmingly decorated and a pleasure st stay in.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lavonna Room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2011

My wife and I chose to stay here for our 13th Wedding Anniversary and were not disappointed one bit. Amazing staff and the house is simply beautiful. This is a true benchmark that other B&B's should strive to emulate.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Despite this bed and breakfast being listed as number one on Trip Advisor, I wasn't too excited about the description so checked out all the other options before conceding that it was my best option given the price and location. However, by the end of my visit I decided that this place definitely deserves its ranking as the number one bed and breakfast.

The location absolutely could not be beat. Walking distance to Lloyd Mall, numerous restaurants and a great wine shop. Close to the I-5 and centrally located for everything else. Free public transit to the downtown although the station is a bit of a hike.

The rooms were spacious, clean and very attractively presented. It was a slight annoyance having a step up to the raised bed but I suppose added to the charm. There were notes about the old plumbing in the ensuite. The toilet and wash basin never presented a problem for me and as I had showers at the hot yoga studio I visited don't know how the showers worked. The first night I was bothered by street noise during the night as well as realized I could clearly hear everything that went on in the adjoining room. I didn't remember hearing any street noise the last three nights of my stay and the occupants of the adjoining room never made much noise. So I can't say now that either of these issues was a problem however I really couldn't see my room or the place in general being ideal for a romantic get away.

The optional continental breakfast was very convenient for me and I took advantage of this option every morning except the last when I had to leave early. The conversation with other hotel guests, fresh fruit selection and delicious coffee were worth more than the $5 charge. Other than that I had a bagel and on one morning a yogurt as well. Nothing else looked worth the calories.

The owners provide very efficient and friendly service. Everything went smoothly and 24 hour contact numbers were readily available. They are not the overly social and talkative hosts that I am accustomed to encountering at bed and breakfasts but in some ways that was a blessing!

All in all this place provided excellent value for me and I wouldn't hesitate to book again. For someone else looking for a quiet secluded romantic getaway or gourmet breakfasts (atleast during the winter months - can't comment on the full breakfasts offered the rest of the year), this place might not fit the bill.

Room Tip: Perhaps look for a room not facing the street
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo