“A stunning house in a great location”

Lion and the Rose Victorian Guest House
Ranked #1 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
Surrey, England
“A stunning house in a great location”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We had not visited Portland before and so made a stop here for 2 nights on our way from BC to southern Oregon. Knowing nothing about the city, how lucky we were to have picked this gem to stay in. It is a beautifully restored large victorian mansion located on a quiet street in the historic district but just a stones throw from good eating places, shopping and the light rail into downtown Portland - the bonus being that it was the last stop in the 'free zone' so no fare to pay! Our room (Lavonna) was large and extremely comfortable and we loved the extra turret room with the all round seating which proved to be a great place to 'people watch' and read. Our hosts were absolutely charming and the information they provided on what to do in the area was extremely helpful. We opted for the breakfast package and it was delicious and beautifully presented in the formal dining room. Our only regret is that we didn't stay longer - something we will remedy on our next visit to the Lion and the Rose.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BWHS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I stayed in the Avandale room, which is the smallest room in the house. The bed was big enough for my boyfriend and I and the furniture was Victorian in style, like the home. We were not offered any free breakfast, just beverages. You have to pay for breakfast, which is implied in the name bed and breakfast, so that was a downside. If you are going to buy breakfast you are better of going to the tin shed. The B&B owners were very nice, but somehow did not make my boyfriend and me feel very welcome. The upside And the downside to the Avandale room is the bathroom. The downside is the bath is not connected to the bedroom, so you have to leave your room to use the restroom or whatever. It's just across the hall, and private with a lock, and they provide fabulous robes so not the end of the world. On the upside the gigantic claw foot tub is great and we took baths both nights we were there. Cute play to stay, beautiful home, a bit pricey.

• Stayed June 2012
Cleveland
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I will not forget the Lion and the Rose and hope one day to stay there again. I landed in Portland to visit my daughter in the hospital (she is fine now) and needed a place to stay on very short notice. It was my very good fortune that a room happened to be available - returning home at the end of the day made a very difficult visit so much more than tolerable. The hosts were interesting, attentive, caring and respectful, the beautiful house had a magnanimous spirit all its own, and the room was divine. I'm serious - now I hope to return just for the fun of it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Kula, Hawaii
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We found this special B&B while planning our short stay in Portland. We live in Hawaii, and wanted to stay somewhere nice before coming home. The location of the Lion and Rose is right in the center of a busy area of town with plenty of shopping and eating just around the corner. Plus its close to the MAX just a quick 25 minutes from PDX. I am a runner too, and there is plenty of running around town, and a park to run through as well. The breakfast was great, the staff friendly, and the place was simply beautiful, and full of history.

Room Tip: The Avendel room has a Private Bath across the hall that is more like a private spa! Huge tub, and a...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 21 May 2012

A bit of research for my wife and my 4 day excursion from LA to Portland landed us on their website. After reading soem reviews and seeing some pics we selected them. Steve greeted us and the accommodations, location and food were fantastic. We cannot recommend them more highly. I expect to stay there again...who needs variety when you've found perfection?

Room Tip: Joseph Room and Escapade Room were both lovely... however, the basement mini-apartment seemed quaint...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

Usually I have found that a b&b is a friendly and warm experience. I did not get that warm and fuzzy feeling here. The host acted surprised that I was arriving when I did - which was late afternoon when I said I would be there. It was certainly not early. I had a very nice room, the amenities were fine, and the mansion itself was grand in a Victorian sort of way. The tv in the room was not needed for my purposes but it was smaller than my computer screen. And speaking of computers, which I did need to use, I was not given the password and had to do with just my smartphone for the first day. The front porch was a nice place to hang out on although overall I did not find this place very inviting.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank jeannieray
Trenton, NJ
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Lion And Rose while in Portland on business. Chosen initially because it was within walking distance to the convention center. But this place was among the best run B & B's that we have experienced. Beautiful place, pristinely kept, attentive innkeepers that make it clear that it is your way! Very reasonable with the ability to not include amenities that you don't need. We couldn't do breakfast because of our schedule, so we were not charged for it. We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Garden Room. Spacious, lovely and very nicely decorated.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business