Lion and the Rose Victorian Guest House
US$229
US$299
US$275
  • Restaurant
All reviewsvictorian stylegracious hostsbed and breakfastporch swingbasement apartmentother gueststhought of everythingprivate bathne portlandeach morninggreat neighborhoodbreakfast was deliciousquiet neighborhoodpublic transportationsleep numberwithin walking distancestreet parking
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My wife & I have stayed at the Lion & the Rose nine different times for a total of 46 nights. We obviously like this B & B. The inn keepers are friendly & professional; the staff is attentive; the service is good; it is always clean; the food is abundant & delicious. We will return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank C J R
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Our 58th wedding anniversary trip to Oregon was delightful beginning with a superb stay at the Lion and the Rose in Portland. The building's beauty is matched only by the caring and competent staff who assisted us in our plans to visit the Japanese, Rose, and Chinese Gardens in the city. One of their excellent suggestions for dinner at nearby Milo's resulted in splendid food and service.

Dr. and Mrs. Mark C. Nagy
Deerfield,IL

Room Tip: The Rose Room is on the main floor off one of the two parlors. The electric fireplace adds to the décor and ambience.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank markcnagy
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My daughter just had her wedding at the Lion and the Rose yesterday.
I would have to give them 10 stars. Everything went wonderful. Steve and Dusty were helpful all the way. They suggested Helen Bernhard Bakery on Broadway and it was the best. We had wedding and reception and if you are planing an intimate wedding this is the place.

We rented two additional rooms for changing and the entire cost, including reception was very reasonable and Dusty and Steve were very accommodating on time.

Everyone was amazed. Beautiful setting. The food was perfect and using their china and stem ware was such a plus over paper plates.

Friends at work who had or had been to weddings recently were amazed.

This is the place, if you have plans for a wedding or out of town quests. The parking is, of course limited but it is worth the trouble.

I'll post pictures soon.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lacreta
Reviewed 13 November 2013

What a beautiful three day weekend we had at the Lion and the Rose Victorian B&B! Steve, Dusty, Russ and team were gracious hosts. Their knowledge of the area as well as the upkeep of the home, are top notch. Maps, a short video, and loads of local information were provided. Breakfast was good - Steve joined us and was so friendly. We met some wonderful people, got loads of rest (the beds and bedding are so comfortable) and really just enjoyed our time there. We enjoyed it so much, we booked our next visit as soon as we returned home. We've also recommended it to friends. Thanks Steve, Dusty, Russ and crew for a wonderful weekend!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sonja R
Reviewed 29 October 2013

There are a couple of things that prevent me from giving them that 5th star. On our first morning our host Steve was at the table having breakfast when we came down at the appointed time of 8:30am. Everyone sits at the same table. And though it was truly not wide enough for two people to sit at the end of the table, one couple had to do so. And a late-arriving couple had to sit apart because there were not two settings together - although, Steve was eating at a setting next to one of the vacant spots. he did not offer to give up his place such that the couple could sit together. Maybe it's just me, but I found it rude that the host took up a space and thus required his guests to sit apart and/or crowd in on the end (my wife and I were on the end the following morning so I can attest first-hand it is crowded). Steve dominated the conversation throughout breakfast and seemed intent on ensuring we knew he graduated from Yale before embarking on a very successful career. When the conversation seemed to drift away from his accomplishments, he always brought the focus back to himself. Again - maybe just me, but it all seemed inappropriate and we felt uncomfortable. I will say, however, that while Steve ate breakfast with us the following two mornings as well, to his credit that he was not so dominant in the conversation.

The second caveat is the settee in the Victorian Apartment. It is a dark settee on a dark rug in a dark room... my brother-in-law had sore toes for the entire stay as a result of hitting his foot on the leg of the settee when coming back from the bathroom during the night. And my wife fell face-down to the floor after tripping over it when she entered the room (from the bright outside to the dark room). I strongly urge you to move the settee out of the way when you arrive.

Enough complaining - the old home is beautiful and the Apartment is very comfortable and quiet. The location is great - one block from a fantastic shopping and dining area in one direction and a wonderful place for a leisurely walk among the old homes in the other. Take advantage of the hosts' maps - they are very helpful.

The best part were the breakfasts. Each was unique and wonderful.

Room Tip: Beware the settee in the Victorian Apartment - I suggest moving it away from the foot of the bed, as it sticks out into the main traffic path in the room. Having just one bathroom was inconvenient for two couples - not a deal-breaker, but certainly inconvenient.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gleno51
srunger, Owner at Lion and the Rose Victorian Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

I appreciate the feedback. When possible I do try to join the guests for breakfast. Once I sit down and start to eat, the table setting is used and I feel it would be awkward for me to move and reset the place setting. Also, I do not intend to dominate the conversation. And given the size of the table there are sometimes two or three simultaneous conversations. But sometimes I get carried away. I will try to be more aware of this in the future. On days when there are more than 10 for breakfast seating side by side at the end of the table can be a bit tight.