“Amazing hotel and great location” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #17 of 137 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing hotel and great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed here over the weekend. I have heard great things about the hotel and was looking forward to the experience. The hotel is is beautiful and offers the latest in guest amenities. The bed amazing. I had the best night of sleep in weeks! As a hotel General Manager, I am very focused on service and The Nines did not dissapoint me. The service from the valet staff to the front desk was exceptional. The hotel is located right in the middle of the best shopping areas of the city and walking distance to some amazing restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Diego H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
Portland Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

It probably isn't fair to rate the whole stay based on the valets mistake, but this was seriously unprofessional and tainted the feeling of an otherwise great experience. Although they didn't charge us for parking, some other sort of compensation would seem to be in order.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Oregonartlover
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
I appreciate your comments and I apologize for the mistake made by our valet team. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall and I am at your service if you decide to come back in the future.

Fred Kleisner, GM
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com
Cerritos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Loved location and this hotel in center of Portland and easy to walk the city. Room a bit small but well decorated. Service outstanding...restaurant first class. Would highly recommend this hotel if you can get a good rate.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BobbyD42
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

I stay at the Nines every week for business, and I am always impressed by the attentiveness of the staff. I go to the Lounge on the 12th floor quite often, and Judi Nudo always greets me with a smile. I appreciate her attentiveness to my needs.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Jessstallone
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

My husband and I arranged to stay at The Nines for four nights, after reading Tripadvisor and a recommendation from friends. My review of the website led me to expect a luxurious experience. As in most cities, parking can be a hassle, so we booked a King bedroom with parking. The location was excellent for both business and pleasure; however, we did not feel that our experience was unique or particularly special for almost $300 a night. Neither the reviews nor The Nines website identify that the Atrium rooms are exposed to the music from the restaurant and bar below,. Exhausted on the first night, we were unable to sleep until the music was turned off at 12:30am. We were offered earplugs, but this situation did not make for a relaxing first night. In order to move to a quieter room, we had to "upgrade" to a City view room, which turned out to be lovely; however, a decent rest came with a cost of an additional $30 per night. Another detail not mentioned on the website is that only 25% of the rooms have baths,and a room with a bath is also, an "upgrade". Had there been a hot tub, I would have been happy to forgo a bath, but with the damp, cold weather and long hours of walking, I felt a tub was a must for a "luxurious respite". In a hotel of this caliber, we expected fine furnishings and exceptional maintenace. Surprisingly, the chaise lounge was worn and sagging in the middle AND the bathtub had mold, mildew and needed re caulking, which was dealt with after I informed the hotel. We did have a wonderful drink and appies at the Departures lounge, and the service from the staff at this hotel, was superb and friendly. After staying at many hotels throughout my travels, I really expected that all "the details" would have been "taken care of" at The Nines, I guess my expectations were too high.

Room Tip: Ensure that you call and confirm your expectations before booking.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Darkmisto
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share this valuable feedback. We truly appreciate your comments and it is wonderful to hear that overall you enjoyed your time at the Nines. We do have many different room types with different views and I would be happy to assist in finding an accommodation that will better suit your needs for any future stays you may have with us. I apologize that your experience was negatively impacted by your room type, settee and bathtub. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further so that we may investigate and ensure these types of issues do not occur for our future guests. Feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.

Fred Kleisner, GM
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

Without the help of my cars GPS I would not have found the hotel on a stormy and wet morning shortly after midnight and a drive from Seattle...........located on a cross street in a confusing system of one way streets and attached to Macys,I found the hotel and its almost hidden ground floor entrance to check in on the 8th floor.After the short elevator ride I was warmly greeted by the night staff in a very modern lobby filled with manaquins in various poses and unusual artwork.This was also the main dining room floor and in addition I was given access to a club floor which I explored later that morning,sadly I found this facility lacking L shaped and poorly stocked,I gave this a miss for the rest of the stay in lieu of the excellent breakfast offered on the main floor.The speciality was their home made English muffin which was three times normal size,I had this every day in the form of Eggs Benedict with shaved ham and it was delicious,the service overall was excellent.
My room was a corner unit with lots of windows and views only to the next buildings,two queen beds,a chaise lounge,desk and the usual facilities all decorated in pale pastels and an unusual turquoise blue,the bathroom was dated but adequate but the toilet was wedged at the side of the shower cubicle and directly against the window which was sheltered from view by a venetian blind and on lookers from the office block opposite.Room service was often very slow to remake the room up,often returning late afternoon without service.I was there to attend a convention with adequate facilities and would highly recommend the team staffing the concierge desk. I was the underwriter for the final banquet and serving over 160 guests,the food was presented beautifully and timely and every course was delicious ,top marks.
My stay wind down with a day to myself and time to explore all the shops around the area which is quite historical and a few blocks from the waterfront.I am sure you will find the hotel pleasing and if I have helped your search give me a yes,thanks....................

Room Tip: As they vary so much none have real great views as its on a city block with narrow streets,the corne...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank talentpicker
Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

Upon the recommendation of a friend we stayed one night at The Nines. We enjoyed the stay, had great service, a very nice room and dined at the Urban Farmer. The dinner was excellent! After dinner we walked around town which was right outside the doors. The train to the airport leaves from right across the street. There were plenty of shops for everyone but we just looked and enjoyed the evening life of Portland. We had a wonderful week cruising around Oregon and the Nines was the perfect stop before we headed home. Our room was a corner unit with a nice view of town and plenty of room to relax. When we end up back in town, we’ll be back at The Nines.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple