“Delightful...!”

Ranked #21 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
“Delightful...!”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I love this hotel and the staff! I've stayed at The Nines multiple times, and have never been disappointed. The Club lounge is especially wonderful...many thanks to The Nines and it's great staff. I'll be back again in the Fall...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
I truly appreciate you for taking the time to recommend our property. We appreciate your loyalty to the Nines and we look forward to welcoming you for years to come. We’ll see you in the Fall!

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Loved staying at The Nines. Great location, friendly staff, modern/trendy, and not too expensive in rates. The rooms are above average and their decor is great for those who love modern styles. The staff was very helpful, especially the concierge who helped us find hiking trails and great eateries. The valet was quick and efficient and our car was always ready after we called down for it. I would say there is a 'younger' crowd that comes there, whether to stay or to visit their rooftop bar. It's not a place you can walk around in sweats and a t-shirt.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your recent stay. We hope you will choose to return to us for your next trip to our city.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at The Nines for a professional conference in mid-April 2013. Living across the country, I'd never heard of the place before the conference organizers announced it, but I found it to be in an excellent choice for our 320 person event, with clean, well-decorated rooms. My room, which contained a mini-office cubby, overlooked a central covered courtyard that housed the Urban Farmer Restaurant where I enjoyed several tasty meals during my 5 day stay. The odd part for me was that check-in was on the 8th floor, although you can drop your bags at the street level and they will be brought up. Views of downtown from the upper floors were attractive, especially at night. The location was within an easy walk of a number of Portland shops, attractions, and restaurants, including the waterfront, famous Powell's bookstore, and a fast foot court a scant block away if you don't need to eat high-end for every meal.

I would have preferred a small sundries shop in the hotel, but access to incidentals, like water bottles and snacks, was close by so this was not a big problem. I had the benefit of a lower conference rate, so I can't comment on the value of a full price room, but it worked out very well for the event I attended and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. If there was a down side, it wasn't the hotel's fault, but there are a fair number of street people in downtown Portland. They weren't belligerent, but it was a detraction from the experience of walking around, and it was better at night walking with a crowd of companions.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your compliments. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the comforts of your guest room and the service you were provided. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again if your travel plans allow.

Oregon
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Stayed at The Nines over my birthday weekend on the lounge level. Room was immaculate, beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Staying on the lounge level gives you appetizers, drinks and dessert during the afternoon and evening and an assortment of breakfast foods the following morning. The turn down service is awesome and the birthday chocolates were a sweet surprise. Great location and easy walk to all the great Portland sights.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thank you for choosing the Nines to celebrate your special day! I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your birthday and our team provided you with an exceptional service throughout your stay. We hope to welcome you back for many future celebrations!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 May 2013

This hotel is in a great spot in downtown Portland, with easy walking distance to a good portion of the Northwest side and not too far from Forest Park. Bus travel to south east is easy to get to from The Nines. Every employee that I encountered was pleasant to deal with. I'd definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for sharing your compliments. Our staff strives to provide personalized service to all guests and we are pleased to learn have experienced this first hand. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again soon.

portland, me
Reviewed 5 May 2013

The Nines is a respectable hotel, with respectable quality, respectable design, and a highly respectable location. While there is nothing about it that rings the bell, you aren't likely to be sorry that you chose it.

I stayed on the club floor. Having coffee and a (sort of) breakfast waiting for me, along with newspapers, each morning was pleasant, albeit unsatisfying. For a city with a farm to table ethos, I was shocked by the blandness of the offerings. And amused - as an east coast person, being presented with tiny dabs of cream cheese necessitated taking about 16 in order to make medium size schmears on my bagel.

The room was comfortable, pleasant, and clean. The bathroom reasonable, though missing q-tips, An oddity was that nowhere in the room was an explanation of the historic nature of the building or the history of the rehab.

Noise was a bit of an issue. Though my windows were on the atrium, not the street, both drumming and bass noise permeated my room as I tried to sleep. A white noise machine would have been useful.

Lastly, the staff was adequate. Cheerful, but not genuine, I thought. I have no complaints about any of them. But my experiences in other cities - New York City, for instance - suggests that either training or company ethos is lacking.

Anyway, I have no serious complaints. I just wouldn't return to The Nines if I had my druthers.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank recklessweimie
Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Please allow me the opportunity to further discuss your comments by reaching me via email at Fred.Kleisner@thenines.com.

Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel is right in the middle of downtown Portland. High enough you do not hear the city noise. If you go pay a little more and ask for the Club floor ! Great lite breakfasts ( not the standard fare you see around ) , wine and beer through the day, happy hour with mixed drinks and after dinner deserts and corduals at note all part of the room value.
Great view from Departures resturant and lounge on top.
Macy's is next door and metro system is outstanding.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you very much for sharing such positive feedback. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay. We hope your travel plans bring you back to our city of roses and that we are fortunate enough to welcome you in the future.