“Didn't want to leave!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Canada
“Didn't want to leave!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

we stayed 3 nights at the nines, after a friend recommended it, and we loved it! The location is great (on top of Macy's and across the street from pioneer place mall). The room was beautiful, and quiet (we were on the 14th floor). The staff were all super friendly and helpful. There is a great restaurant (the Urban Farmer) which we ate breakfast in and had late night snacks and drinks, on the lobby floor. And, on the top floor is another great restaurant (Departure) where we went for dinner and happy hour, and has the best views of the city. There really isn't a reason the leave the hotel!

Room Tip: ask for a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for your rave review! I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed our property throughout and that our team provided an exceptional experience. It would be my pleasure to welcome you again in the future.

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed 2 nights at this centrally located, modern, and trendy hotel. The hotel is located in busy central Portland easily accessible by light rail from PDX. Every store imaginable is walking distance and some, even on the same block (Macy's).

Service - excellent check in with friendly staff. Doormen were courteous although never required their assistance. Check is on a higher floor and must take an elevator from ground floor.

Room - modern furnishings albeit on the small side. Bathroom adequate although once again, on the small side. Our room did not have a view.

Overall, well furnished and comfortable hotel with wonderful staff. The highlight is the central location. The rooms are on the smaller side but adequate for our needs. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Easily accessible by light rail from PDX, no need to use a taxi or rental car if staying in Portland...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you for your compliments. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the comforts of your guest room and the service you were provided. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again for your next trip to the heart of Portland.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Pros: Centrally located, trendy, cocktails on the roof, nice room decor
Cons: No pool, slow breakfast service was borderline rude, poor room view

The hotel calls itself luxury and I'd give it that - perhaps "trendy" is more the word.
I might not have had much of a view from my room but the cocktail bar on the property's rooftop made up for that. Sure the rain had caused some of the seats to look past their best, but it was still comfortable and the views looking at the hills made up for it all.
The slow breakfast service was bordering on rude for our group (food was good though), but I can forgive that as I'd have opted to eat elsewhere if we'd stayed longer. In the middle of Portland it's easy to find plenty of places to eat and the hotel is very well located to get about - that's one of it's biggest selling points.
Add in a comfy sleep and prettily decorated rooms that are very clean and there's little to moan about overall. I'd definitely go back if in the vicinity again.
If you want a pool then look elsewhere though, as there isn't one here which might come as a surprise.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mmxbreaks
Thank you for taking the time to recommend our property. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back during your next visit to Portland!

Los Angeles
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Pros: Beautifully appointed and clean rooms and hotel spaces; wifi; great location near shopping, dining and train; professional, courteous and helpful hotel staff; elegant hotel lounge.

Cons: Very pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
We appreciate you sharing your compliments of the Nines. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again for your next escape in the city.

Auburn
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Nines one night of a weekend shopping trip with my daughter. My assessment: great location, cool atmosphere, rooms nicely decorated, beds comfortable, very, very busy and congested. Rather loud in the rooms with door slamming and loud talking and with all the people coming and going to the Destinations lounge the elevators service was rather slow. Not sure I will stay here again.

Stayed November 2013
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations. We do have two of the most popular restaurants in the city so we do have a very vibrant energy. Again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we hope to welcome you again in the future to redeem your current expectations.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Absolutely hands down greatest service from Kyan going out of his way to make our engagement night a dream. Thanks for everything Kyan, anyone who can deal with my mom let alone me is amazing.

Thanks to Steve for making it feel like we were the only ones staying there.

Awesome night in a beautiful hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for commending our team. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the whole of our property. We look forward to welcoming you and your mother again in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Hi Fred,
My wife and I have been staying at the hotel now for over 90 days and leave on Friday morning. I would like to thank you and all the staff for making such a long business trip away from Ireland so memorable. I understand you get reviews good/bad on trip advisor and we both will be writing a terrific review this week, but I thought I’d e-mail you personally also.
• I would like to thank all the guys at the door downstairs, it’s been great interacting with them.
• The Concierge people, Sean, Josie, Elizabeth and all the crew have become friends and do a fantastic job.
• Steve and Michael at front desk have been fantastic, as have all the staff, Quincy, Anna etc.
• The club lounge has been a fantastic place for my wife to go to read while I am at work, and I would specifically like to mention Megan, Aaron, Kyan and Judi, again we have become friends with them all and will miss then when we leave.
I understand the hotel gets some negative feedback on occasions, I think this would be a great opportunity to mention to the staff what an incredible feeling of goodwill they have shown us and made us feel at home and how professional they are.
I will probably be back to Oregon with work next year, I won’t even have to think about where we will be staying.
Thank you and all your staff for everything, I hope to enjoy my last 2 days and to take the time to say goodbye to the staff personally and have a quiet dinner with my wife to reflect on everything.
We will miss the nines.
Merry Xmas to you all,
Kind Regards
Keith

Room Tip: Just ask front desk
Green Features: fantastic we asked for our room to be cleaned twice a week with towels changed then also. Staff were fantastic, cant thank hannah and agnes enough
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank hogie2014
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
We are pleased to be your home away from home any time. We hope to see you again soon!