“Our first choice for every trip to Portland”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #24 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We have stayed here twice now, and love this hotel, the staff and the ammenitites. We always opt for the upgrade to the Club Level. If you need to eat out while in Portland but dont have big dinner plans--seriously consider the Club Level. Large continental breakfast, snacks mid-day, afternoon appetizers and evening desserts--beer, wine and standard cocktails included!

Room Tip: We asked for a room facing Pioneer square. Loved it--and love the Club Level!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Thank you for your kind review and for choosing the Nines as your preferred hotel in Portland! We are pleased we are able to provide an exceptional experience time and time again and we look forward to welcoming you back for years to come. Cheers to the Club Level!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

One of the most impressive properties I’ve had the pleasure of staying is The Nines in Portland, Oregon. It is always kept in immaculate condition, its stylish, sophisticated and the service is nothing short of spectacular!

The staff is professional, accommodating, detail oriented, thoughtful, attentive, warm and gracious. A few of the employees who have always displayed exemplary service are Sean Meyer, Michael Brewer, Steve Schneider, Quincy Hickson, Kevin Wells and Judy Nudo. Apparently the General Manager Fred Kleisner along with the other management staff do a great job of bringing the best out of all their employees.

L.Harris - Miami, FL

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Mr. Harris,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the world of TripAdvisor! We appreciate your loyalty to the Nines and to SPG as one of our valued SPG Platinum Members.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you again for years to come. I am at your service if there is anything at all I may assist with.

Regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Being from Portland, I don't usually stay in hotels here. However, a few friends and I decided to try something different and stay downtown to enjoy the festivities for New Years. We booked a deluxe king room so we could have a view of the outdoors, many rooms here look inward toward an atrium which can be neat as well if you don't mind looking out over an interior restaurant. Portland has got to be the only major city I know that doesn't do fireworks for New Years! So, I wasn't disappointed to see the room didn't have that much of a view through the single small skinny window. The room was functional, albeit a bit small, and there was a nice couch next to the window that double as another bed. The main King size bed was very heavenly.

From the female voice in the elevator to the friendly front desk staff, I couldn't have been more satisfied with my stay here. The mini bar even came stocked with a "family planning" kit! Overall the Nines met all of my expectations.

Room Tip: Remember to ask for a room either on an SPG floor, or at the lobby level (8th floor?)so another elev...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing to be our guest. I am pleased to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations! Please visit again soon for another weekend staycation in the city.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

I surprised my husband with two night at this hotel for his 30th birthday, it was our first time staying in Portland and we were very pleased with this hotel. The décor was very modern, tasteful, and inviting. The customer service (from the time I made the reservation until checkout) was excellent! We had a King bed, Corner view room, on the 14th floor. Bed was very comfortable, room location was great. One of the nights we could her some distant music from the restaurant above, but nothing loud enough to be disturbing. We ate dinner at Departures which was a great experience. The food was delicious, drinks were great, the prices are reasonable, but the portions are smaller so you do have to order more than one plate.
The location of the hotel was perfect. We walked everywhere downtown, but it is also close to the Max light rail for faster transportation. We will definitely stay here again next time we are visiting Portland!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review! I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the property throughout and that our team was able to provide an exceptional experience. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Absolutely beautifully furnished rooms made us feel like royalty. This is a dog-friendly hotel and they pampered "Spot" about as much as us humans. For this stay we were in 1456, a standard cateogry, our previous stay was a deluxe corner which was huge and worth the added cost. For being a "Luxury Collection" property within the Starwood family, you can't find a more reasonably priced comparable room within the same grade.

Room Tip: Spring for the larger, deluxe category if you have a few extra dollars to spend, but if not, a stand...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing the Nines for your return trip to Portland! I am pleased to learn that you (and “Spot”) enjoyed your recent stay and we look forward to welcoming you both again soon!

Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed there for New Years. A lot of great things: Amazing location, beautiful facility, and overall the staff were good. I always consider the difference in facility from a 4 to 5 star hotel can be small and the service becomes the differentiator. We were not impressed with the "guest services" group.

One of the room "amenities" was a docking station to play music off your iphone in your room. We both have iphone 5 phones and the jack was for an iPhone 4. The 5 has been out for months so we figured they would have adapters. We first called and checked to see if they had an iPhone 4 to 5 adapter. They didn't and they seemed to act like it was strange we would ask. No biggie, whatever...

We then pop some champagne (New Years after all) and I call to see if they have a bottle stopper we could use; they provide glasses, openers, etc so a stopper wasn't out of reach. I called and ask and it was a very direct, curt "NO" like a "why the f are you asking" tone. A polite "I am sorry we don't but there is a Rite Aid around the corner that could..." would have been far more appropriate for a "5 star" hotel. The Ritz has a smoother approach to service for comparison.

Other staff were friendly and overall things like the location can't be beat in Portland. They did give us late check out which for the day after New Years was great! I would call this place a "4+" just not quite a "5" yet...

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sbain76

Thank you for choosing the Nines and for sharing your recent experience. I apologize that we fell short of your expectations and please know that I have shared your feedback with the team as we hope to improve for you as well as our future guests. Please let me know if we may have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future to redeem your current expectations.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I have stayed at the Nines twice. The first time was a few years ago for a girls weekend with my best friend, when we went to see Katy Perry at the Rose Garden. The 2nd time was with my husband for a one night stay to see family in Portland. I have stayed in several of the 4 and 5 star properties downtown and the Nines is my favorite. Reasons why:

1) Location- it's located right by Pioneer Square above the Macy's. If you like to shop, just take the elevator downstairs! Walking distance to everything. It was also easy to take the streetcar to the concert.
2) Great rooms- the rooms are stylish and fun and very clean. The beds are comfortable, rooms are quiet.
3) Restaurant- We love Urban Farmer on the main lobby floor. The food is excellent- raw oysters, sliders, deviled eggs. It's so nice to have a local farm to table concept restaurant in the building. They also have a great common lounge area with couches and comfy chairs. My husband's parents came by and got cocktails and food and just hung out.
4) Fitness center- they have a very nice fitness center if you are a business traveler or just someone that likes to exercise daily. It's not your typical hotel gym with one elliptical, one treadmill and one bike. It has several of each, plus free weights, a stretching area and Nautilus type machines. Also, if you like to run, just go down to the River walk for a great route to run along the river.

The only issue we experienced when we were there was that the valet parking took a long time to retrieve our car, but it was around Xmas and I think the restaurant and downtown in general were extremely busy. In the future, I would call the valet from the room before you come down to get the process started.

In the future, the Nines will always be my first choice. It's a fun place to stay with great amenities.

Room Tip: I like the rooms with city view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

We appreciate you sharing your compliments of the Nines and it will be our pleasure to welcome you again for your next escape in the city.