“Beautiful hotel nestled in the core of Portland”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #15 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Canada
“Beautiful hotel nestled in the core of Portland”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Whenever we go to Portland, we always try and stay at The Nines. It's worth the price and beautiful inside and out and brings a high-level of quality being owned by the Starwood Hotels, the same folks who run the Westin chain.

The modern and chic design is what struck us first. Inside the hallways and main foyer where their restaurant is located is open and has a trendy feel to it. The rooms are reminiscent of a Tiffany jewellery box, complete with the iconic light blue wallpaper/ paint and antique, white furnishings. Compared to other downtown hotels we've stayed at in Portland, the rooms are spacious as well.

In terms of amenities, the gym is above average, with lots of cardio machines, a variety of machines and fairly high weight dumbells for a hotel. The restaurants and bars on-site are top-rate, especially the Asian-fushion space ship-inspired locale on the top floor.

Staff are well trained and helpful, providing directions and retrieving valet cars promptly and courteously.

This hotel is also pet-friendly, so it's another reason for us to bring our dog with us to The Nines.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less frequented and quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian Jr C
MarcAdrar, Assistant General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review and for choosing the Nines as your preferred hotel in Portland! We are pleased we are able to provide an exceptional experience throughout time and time again and we look forward to welcoming you and your family (dog included) back to the Nines for years to come.

Marc Adrar, Assistant General Manager
Marc.Adrar@theNines.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (695)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Beautiful hotel. Excellent staff. Amazing experience

This was my first trip to Portland, and I was staying for business the whole week. I definitely felt home. Every single staff person from desk service to valets were so attentive.
Urban Farmer have the best hotel breakfast that I ever had. And they serve Stumptown Coffee. What a blessing.

My room had a city view, with king size bed. Stunning decor. When I arrived, my ipod dock was not working and they promptly replaced for a brand new one. The bed felt like heaven. The surroundings of the hotel are amazing. You can go by foot basically everywhere, from dining to shopping.

I'm coming back to Portland in November, now to celebrate my 10th year wedding anniversary. I already booked The Nines again. With no second thoughts. Hope to have the same (or even better) experience that I had this time.

Room Tip: Pick up a room with a city view. I've stayed at 1130.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
MarcAdrar, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you for choosing the Nines and for taking the time to share your recent experience. I am delighted to hear that we were able to extend a warm welcome to you and to make you feel at home. That really is special! However, I must apologize for the inconvenience caused to you with the iPod dock not working upon arrival. I am thankful that our team was able to deliver a new one to you right away. Please know that we look forward to welcoming you again in November for your 10 year anniversary celebration! I am at your service if there is anything at all I may do to assist in making this a special trip for you.

Marc Adrar, Assistant General Manager
Marc.Adrar@theNines.com
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Dear Nine's Staff,

We wanted to say thank you so very much for all you did to make our stay at The Nines one we will forever remember. The hotel is so stunning and beautiful. Everyone on the staff we came in contact with was outstanding. When we arrived, Jason and Jason greeted us and continued to remember my husband and I throughout our stay. When we checked in, Marcela was so delightful. Marcela was very professional, knowledgeable and gave us great suggestions for our stay. Our room was fantastic! The views were amazing and what we hoped for during our stay.

The meals we had had both Departure and Urban Farmer were phenomenal! We loved the view from our table at Departure.
Our dinner at Urban Farmer was fantastic! Our server, Kurt, was outstanding! He was so great in assisting me with ordering the perfect wine for my dinner. He was on top of everything and was a true professional! Chef Matt took such great care of us at dinner. He came out to see us and made time to chat with us as well, which is so kind when we know he is so busy. Every item we ate was spectacular! We appreciated all the special touches that were given to us to make our dinner special.

We could not have asked for a better time at The Nines. Please share with your staff how wonderful they are and how they made our anniversary get a way special. And thank you to you for all you did for us. We really do appreciate your effort in making our stay so wonderful.

Cheers!
The Escobars

Room Tip: You have to try Departure restaurant.
Green Features: Great people, great food and great service and very green. . .
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Mr. & Mrs. Escobar,
It is a joy to read your recent review of the Nines. Our staff strives to provide exceptional service to all of our guests and I am pleased to learn that you experienced this first hand. I appreciate you both for taking the time to share your experience and for complementing our team. It will be my pleasure to share your review. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Cheers,
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The room was beautiful and there was a lot of attention to detail throughout the property. We had a city view room, and it was still amazingly quiet. Loved the marble bathroom and soft plush towels.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your 5 star review! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the property as a whole. We hope to welcome you again soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 January 2014

There was not was single staff person who we met who was not gracious, kind, and attentive. For a first trip to Portland they were always ready to help direct and give suggestions. From the valets to the front desk the level of friendly attention the staff provides is truly phenomenal. A special shout out to Michael because his aid from beginning to end was invaluable. Also, the rooms were beautiful as well. Overall a fantastic experience.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay throughout and that Michael and the team were able to enhance your experience with their warm service culture. We hope to welcome you to the Nines again in the future for another fantastic experience.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Love the hotel and the views. I thought it was very cool that you could see the center of the hotel from some of the rooms. If I had to change one thing it would be to stay in a room that did not lead to the outside... it was quite noisy. The room was one of the best guestrooms I have ever stayed in. Wish I could live there! Tried to grab a drink at the roof top bar but it was packed so we went somewhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside that don't have an outdoor window.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your rock star review! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the property overall, however, I apologize that the roof top restaurant, Departure, was unavailable to you. We do have two of the most vibrant restaurants in Portland so if there is opportunities for the future please do not hesitate to ask a member of our concierge team for assistance in confirming reservations. It would be our pleasure to assist!

Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed there for just one night during a Trailblazer game. Great location and nice hotel on the inside. The rooms are small but posh. Our room had stains on the turquoise couch. The rooms are not very quiet, I could hear the upstairs and next door neighbor using the bathroom. The bad news is that it took over 1.5 hours for our room to become ready. The said it would be available at 3, but said it should take a few minutes to finish up and they would contact us when the room was available, so we went exploring and the phone call never came. We decided to come back and check on the room and they said, "Just opened up."

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aaron0069
Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience with us and I apologize that our property fell short of your expectations during this visit. I assure you this is not our standard at the Nines. Please feel free to contact me directly should you like to discuss this further. We hope for the opportunity to welcome you in the future to redeem your current expectation.