“Best Luxury Hotel in Portland”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #24 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The Nines is an absolutely fabulous 5* Luxury Hotel. From the friendly check-in, all the way to check-out, this was a wonderful experience. The room is opulent, the beds comfortable and the bathroom divine. It is a green hotel and the amenities of Bee Kind, just make you feel good. The delicious lemon verbena scent is incredible.

My only suggestion to this hotel is to improve the pastries on the continental breakfast. The room service croissant was small, stone cold, and packaged. It was not buttery, flakey or at all french. Rather it tasted like it was packaged. Also, the bran muffin was likewise packaged tasting, like those types you buy at the convenience store.

I think it would be divine if the Nines supported some of Portland's amazing bakeries and offered those pastries to their guests. It would make for a unique experience.

This is not to detract at all from this hotel. It is a great place!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
MarcAdrar, Assistant General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share this valuable feedback. We truly appreciate your comments and I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your time at the Nines. I have shared your suggestions with the team and I am at your service if you have any future needs or requests. We hope to welcome you again!

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Great location in the middle of downtown portland. Rooms average size but decorated and cleaned to a high standard. Only small drawback is no tea and coffee facilities in room but Starbucks one block away. Asian restaurant on 15th floor has the best chicken wings I've had in America and a great view over the city!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ben B

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience and for choosing to be our guest. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the property overall, however, please forgive me for the inconvenience caused to you by the lack of coffee and tea services available in the room. It would be my pleasure to add these items to your permanent guest profile for any future visits to the Nines. Please let me know if I may assist.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Josie in the concierge was outstanding and always cheerful, patient and brilliant in her suggestions and directions. She truly enhanced our vacation 100%. Patrick was also very helpful.
Quincy at the front desk was also exceptional in helping us find the room to meet our needs when the hotel was very booked for Valentines Day and Presidents weekend. These are the people that made our stay amazing and would bring us back to the Nines.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sak1952

Thank you for taking a moment to commend our team! Josie, Patrick and Quincy are all valuable assets to our team and thank you again for your comments. It will be my pleasure to share your experience with the team as a whole and we will look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We landed in PDX on 2/6 around 5 pm and it had already been snowing. Needless to say that Portland pretty much shuts down when it snows and about 90% of the City was closed over the next three days we were there. So, we spent a lot of time at The Nines, which included a few meals at Urban Farmer (restaurant) and several drinks at the bar.

The Staff were excellent, from the minute we pulled into Valet, to the front desk staff and especially the wait staff and bar tender at UF. The guys downstairs were super friendly and answered all of our questions when we ventured out into the frozen tundra that was PDX. Can't remember the last time I've encountered such a friendly Staff at a hotel. It was my girlfriend's bday and they sent up some chocolates for her as well.

The room was nice and quiet. I think we heard our neighbors once, and that was only when room service arrived. The room had a nice/fairly big bathroom and they use eco-friendly bath products as well. They also give you extra points if you don't get house-keeping daily.

We would definitely stay here again when we re-visit PDX in the summer!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

I am pleased to hear that you both survived the PDX Snow-Pocalypse and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the summer for a little fun in the PDX sun!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We went for a quick getaway mid-week , and were thrilled with the hotel and staff. It was snowing so didn't get around too much , will definitely go back in warmer weather. Restaurants in hotel were superb!! Rooms exceptional and great staff.

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your 5 star review. We are delighted to hear that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again once the sun comes out. Looking forward to it!

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Whenever we go to Portland, we always try and stay at The Nines. It's worth the price and beautiful inside and out and brings a high-level of quality being owned by the Starwood Hotels, the same folks who run the Westin chain.

The modern and chic design is what struck us first. Inside the hallways and main foyer where their restaurant is located is open and has a trendy feel to it. The rooms are reminiscent of a Tiffany jewellery box, complete with the iconic light blue wallpaper/ paint and antique, white furnishings. Compared to other downtown hotels we've stayed at in Portland, the rooms are spacious as well.

In terms of amenities, the gym is above average, with lots of cardio machines, a variety of machines and fairly high weight dumbells for a hotel. The restaurants and bars on-site are top-rate, especially the Asian-fushion space ship-inspired locale on the top floor.

Staff are well trained and helpful, providing directions and retrieving valet cars promptly and courteously.

This hotel is also pet-friendly, so it's another reason for us to bring our dog with us to The Nines.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less frequented and quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian Jr C

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review and for choosing the Nines as your preferred hotel in Portland! We are pleased we are able to provide an exceptional experience throughout time and time again and we look forward to welcoming you and your family (dog included) back to the Nines for years to come.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Beautiful hotel. Excellent staff. Amazing experience

This was my first trip to Portland, and I was staying for business the whole week. I definitely felt home. Every single staff person from desk service to valets were so attentive.
Urban Farmer have the best hotel breakfast that I ever had. And they serve Stumptown Coffee. What a blessing.

My room had a city view, with king size bed. Stunning decor. When I arrived, my ipod dock was not working and they promptly replaced for a brand new one. The bed felt like heaven. The surroundings of the hotel are amazing. You can go by foot basically everywhere, from dining to shopping.

I'm coming back to Portland in November, now to celebrate my 10th year wedding anniversary. I already booked The Nines again. With no second thoughts. Hope to have the same (or even better) experience that I had this time.

Room Tip: Pick up a room with a city view. I've stayed at 1130.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
MarcAdrar, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for choosing the Nines and for taking the time to share your recent experience. I am delighted to hear that we were able to extend a warm welcome to you and to make you feel at home. That really is special! However, I must apologize for the inconvenience caused to you with the iPod dock not working upon arrival. I am thankful that our team was able to deliver a new one to you right away. Please know that we look forward to welcoming you again in November for your 10 year anniversary celebration! I am at your service if there is anything at all I may do to assist in making this a special trip for you.