“Disappointing . . .” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Eugene, Oregon
“Disappointing . . .”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

After all we'd heard about The Nines we were really looking forward to spending two nights there. Our mistake that we didn't ask about room choices so we take responsibility for this first comment: our room faced the courtyard/lobby so there was no outside window making the room very dark. I am one who sleeps with the drapes open as I love the first of day. The small refrigerator bleeped all night long, like a smoke alarm does when the battery is low. When we checked in they didn't say anything about serving coffee in the lobby - we just noticed there was no way to make coffee in our room so went out for coffee in the morning. No big deal but it also would have been good to know they provide this. Before checking out I asked the front desk where I could get a newspaper (NYT or the local one) and she said they keep them behind the counter where you check in. Thus, when one looks around and you don't see any papers it's easy to assume, like the coffee that they don't provide papers..There were two of us and one bathrobe and when they turned down the bed at night there was one chocolate on one pillow. Hello - we are two people. There was no clock in the room - maybe they just assume everyone uses their cell phones for everything. I requested an early wake-up call because I had to walk several blocks to catch a street car and then get the tram to OHSU (Oregon Health Science University) where I had a medical appointment at 7:00am and this call was 5 minutes late. Again, not usually a big deal but this meant it definitely made my morning rushed. The room was hot and we could turn the thermostat down to 60 with the fan on high BUT the room never got this cool. We only had a down comforter on the bed and given that it was 73 in Portland while we were there, it was a hot sleep both nights. The linens are of high quality as were the pillows and even the down comforter but it's too bad there wasn't another blanket option. Given that this room is $329/night I would have expected much more! We will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view and any other things you might expect to have at what is supposedly a high quali...
Green Features: Liked that I could inform them ahead of time that we did not need our towels or linens changed during our 2-night stay.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank retiredfeb2011
MarcAdrar, Assistant General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I am sincerely apologetic for the experience in which you received and as disappointing as it is to hear, we view this as an opportunity to improve the operations of our property. We hope to welcome you again in the future to redeem your current expectations.

Marc.Adrar@theNines.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (679)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

While not perfect, this hotel really delivered. Located across from Pioneer Square / Courthouse, the 9 floors of this hotel sit on top of Macys. The location is at the intersection of the two main TriMax rail lines - so very convenient for public transit and getting around. The door staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming - always recognizing me and welcoming me back. The 8th floor lobby area is very modern and contains reception, concierge, and the Urban Farmer restaurant / cafe and a bar, with public seating areas. Note: this area is essentially the floor of an atrium up to a glass ceiling - thus probably near half the hotel rooms look onto this atrium, not onto the city. Fortunately I had an outside room, with a great city/river view, but I would be very conscious of the room type you are getting. Interior rooms could face additional noise from the bar/restaurant below, and with the lack of view should be much cheaper.

I had a two queen bed room - which came with a window sofa, desk area, large TV, big open bathroom. The bedding and sleep quality was 5-star. ultimately, this is the main driver in my rating as sleeping well in the hotel is the main objective. Only item lacking was a robe - slippers, but no robe. Very odd. Also, shower amenities were wall mounted, multi-use type. While more eco-friendly, I am not a fan of shared amenities and find they detract from the overall 'luxury' brand. Also the pumps on them didn't work properly.

Housekeeping was a mixed bag of quality too. One day we'd get chocolates at turn down, another day none. One day, slippers were put out, other days not. Empty trash cans were left in the middle of the floor a couple of times, and most annoyingly, when the next door room was vacant, they hadn't reset the alarm - so at 6am I was woken by the neighbouring full volume buzzer. Some consistency and quality training would be good here.

The restaurant on the top floor - Departure - was excellent - see my separate review.

Security was good. The soundproofing was generally good. Fitness centre reasonable and met expectations. Business centre had free access for boarding card printouts. Free wifi throughout. Good speed in bedrooms, not great in lobby area. As an SPG Gold Member, I wasn't given a 'complimentary drink' but a 'complimentary local beer'... never seen this before and would have preferred an open coupon/choice. No pool. No spa.

Overall a great experience. I will definitely return. My complaints are small and picky - certainly not warranting going elsewhere.

Room Tip: Outside rooms - inside would be darker, noisier, no view.
Green Features: Recycling trash separation in room is good. Multi-use amenities attached to bathroom wall certainly not 'luxury' standard.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LondonUnveiled
I appreciate you for taking the time to share your feedback and I apologize that your experience was negatively impacted by the lack of consistency from housekeeping. The shampoo-conditioner-body wash pumps in the shower derive from our efforts to stay aligned with our green-ethos; however, there is no excuse for the pumps to be non-working or for the rooms to be missing robes or the turndown chocolate amenities. Please know that I have addressed this with our Director of Housekeeping to ensure immediate improvement. We hope to improve for you as well as our future guests and I am at your service if you should choose to return to the Nines in the future.

Pontefract, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights whilst travelling the west coast. The hotel is really nice as so are the staff. The rooms have really comfy beds, a turndown service, bottled water and wifi over all this is a great hotel and I would stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your 5 star review! We appreciate you taking the time to recommend our property and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Keizer, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

My daughter and I were treated to a stay here (from Santa) while in Portland for a concert. What a great room, she was so impressed! The beds were very comfortable and the room/bath were spacious. Everything is close by; shopping, dining; and transportation. Not so impressed with the bar, but it wasn't our main focus (service there was not good).

I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MarcAdrar, Assistant General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
I appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience and for recommending our property. I do apologize for the lack of service that you encountered in the bar and please know that I have shared your comments with the appropriate department head to ensure immediate improvement. We hope that Santa will bring you back again next year! Please let me know if I may assist in the future.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I was on an awful business trip with awful company that just couldn't get along. We went to Sunday Brunch at Urban Farmer. We all sat down grumpy and silent. We hadn't been able to break the ice the whole trip. That was until our server Melody came over. She was wonderful. Her service was above and beyond what we all expected. Her knowledge of the wine and guidance with cocktails soon had the whole group getting along and cracking jokes. Not really sure how she did it but she really turned around our whole trip and from there out it was wonderful. If you are in the area and want a good meal, go see Melody at Urban Farmer for great service and good food.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your acknowledgement of Melody’s personalized service and it will be my pleasure to share your compliments with her. We hope to welcome you again for your next meeting in our City of Roses.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

As a frequent traveler, I've been to many high end hotels, including Starwood properties across the country. We recently redeemed SPG points to bring our two kids (aged 8 and 11) to Portland for a few days, with the intent of staying two nights here and two at the Aloft so the kids would have time at a pool. After a day at the Nines, the kids were begging to stay longer.

We got upgraded at check-in, and also got access to the Club Level, which featured a nice selection of food four times a day. The staff up there engaged the kids in conversation and recommended best food trucks and activities. The location was walkable to all kinds of restaurants and the riverfront - with tax free shopping at the mall across the street (and lots more inspired options nearby.

We did end up calling Starwood to lengthen our stay. Our existing room wasn't available, so we needed to upgrade to a nicer one. Quincy at the front desk told us we could stay where we were, but he thought we would like the bigger room better - even offered to move our stuff himself! And he called when the room was ready to let us know our things were waiting for us there.

Overall, left with a sense that this staff was genuinely nice and truly concerned about the quality of our experience. Wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay and that Quincy was able to enhance the experience. We look forward to welcoming you to the Nines again on your next trip to Portland.

Orlando
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

The Nines is located next to Pioneer Square in the heart of everything Portland. Made out of a former department store, it has a solidly good restaurant, Urban Farmer, in a bright covered courtyard in the middle. Rooms are solidly quiet and nicely furnished. Only drawback is the plumbing fixtures, which put out very little water, so it's best to plan some extra time getting ready in the morning. The Nines is comparable to the Benson, Monaco, Heathman, and Deluxe, which are all great places to stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom of Orlando
Thank you for taking the time to recommend our property. In efforts to stay aligned with our green ethos we do have a reduced water pressure in the rooms and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We hope that you will return to us again in the future.