“bachelorette weekend”

GreenLeadersGold level
Winnemucca, Nevada
“bachelorette weekend”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I love this hotel and the amazing people they staff it with! We just stayed over the weekend for my bachelorette party and it was perfect. The hotel is simply beautiful and its apparent they work incredibly hard to make every bit of your stay top notch and comfortable. Michael at the front desk went above and beyond my expectations in every way! He greeted everyone in my party personally and brought them up to our suite- which meant you had to do this about 8 different times since we all showed up separate. Once we had all arrived he had champagne sent up with a hand written note! From the reservation to the final moment we left- each part of our stay was handled with great care and attention to detail you wont find everywhere. I will never stay anywhere else in Portland.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
MarcAdrar, Assistant General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear bri r,

Thank you for sharing your experience! Please visit us again soon. Cheers to the bachelorette!

Marc.Adrar@theNines.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We spent the weekend at the Nine Hotel and I must say the service was excellent. The gentlemen gave great restaurants recommendations that were mostly within walking distance and were more than willing to help us with anything that we needed. We had a few appetizers and a breakfast at the Nine hotel and they were excellent too! The rooms were a bit small, the water pressure wasn't that great either, but we spent most of the time outside seeing Portland.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
MarcAdrar, Assistant General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Marci5,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your adventure through Portland’s living room and we will hope to welcome you again during your next trip to Portland.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I was there with my wife, niece, and young daughter. We had a nice suite with a separate room so she could go to bed early while we watched TV, and the room was perfect. The bathroom was huge, the beds comfortable, and the living area well laid out. I expect a lot from Starwoods, and they met or exceeded all of my expectations. All of the staff went out of their way to make our stay great, and along with being competent they were extremely courteous.

The restaurant, can't remember the name, was excellent. Food was good, service was great, and it was of a much higher quality than you expect at a hotel. I've never ordered Wagyu at a hotel before and this was excellent. Highlight of our trip. They were also great about giving us our deserts to take upstairs to our room since the little one had enough of being at the restaurant.

The location is great for everything there is to do in Portland, and you're right next to the light-rail if you want to go further out.

It's not a value property, but in this case, you get what you pay for, and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Make sure to avoid getting an accessible room unless you nee done because the bathtub is smaller.
1 Thank Charli125
Dear Charli125,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased to learn that we were able to surpass your expectations and we appreciate your acknowledgement of the personalized service in which you received. It will be my pleasure to share your compliments with the team and we will hope to welcome you again for your next escape in our City of Roses. Please let me know if I may assist in any future travels.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I compare the Luxury Collection to the likes of Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc... however I best I should not do that anymore. I do not find the Luxury Collection hotels in the States to be of the same caliber in the luxury industry as the aforementioned. First the valet service is insanely expensive, @ $49/ngt. If you drive an eco-friendly car then the rate drops to $19/ngt. It takes the valet reps. over 15 mins. just to get your car so beware of this time. The front desk is located on the 8th floor and the decor of the hotel is actually pretty cool. The Urban Farmer restaurant is no big deal so eat somewhere else. The club floor on the 12th floor was nothing major. Save your money and do not get a room on the club floor. The snacks and drinks are adequate however I have had better at other lounges like the Ritz Carlton Club Levels. The service in the club lounge was excellent for the exception of one staff member at breakfast. The rooms were spacious however yet again as a SPG Gold member, no upgrades to be found. I have never been upgraded using my SPG Gold card. Not sure why I still hold on to this card. To be honest I actually do not stay anymore at any Starwood property however in Portland it's the only luxury hotel. No pool facilities which was a bummer for my kids. the fitness room had old style machines not the high tech ones that I have been accustomed to in my other hotel stays. If in the area again, I would choose this hotel until another luxury hotel comes into the area. I must mention that the sleep quality of the bedding was exceptional.

Room Tip: corner rooms are the best!!!! large and spacious!
Green Features: eco-friendly car gets you a cheaper rate for valet parking. Best do that because you do not want to pay $49.day for valet in a city where parking is not at a premium like in other cities.
1 Thank FirstClass001
MarcAdrar, Assistant General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear FirstClassLuxury001,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. As disappointing as it is to hear, we view this as an opportunity to improve the operations of our property. We hope to welcome you again in the future to redeem your current expectations.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed at the Nines to attend a conference on water that was held in Portland. Immediately noticeable about the Nines is its location - just about in the middle of downtown Portland, across from Pioneer Square. This area is crowded with people during the day and in the evening - and provides access by walking or the omnipresent above ground subway to almost any part of the city. Pioneer square has a fabulous farmer's market on most days of the week and while we were there had a rock concert and also an outdoor huge screen for the World Cup. The hotel itself starts six stories up, above the Macy's. The rooms are small but display a hip luxury, and I liked the small office nook in the room I was assigned. I only had breakfast at the hotel, and the oatmeal is very creamy and delicious. The gym is also quite good. I am usually wary of hotels constructed with a huge interior atrium - because the sound can be so loud to rooms that over look it. I was on the atrium on a busy weekend, and I do not think I ever heard a sound. I did walk and sampled the very, very good locally sourced food at nearby restaurants - but am surprised by how many homeless people, young people included, seem to be on every street corner. Portland is fun though, and a quick trip up the River for a tubing ride was easy and wonderful.

Room Tip: Rooms are small - so do not expect to have any extra space - there is only really room for a couple...
Green Features: Portland is known for its green sensibilities - and this hotel lives up to that standard. Very nicely done.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear geonat1,

Thank you for posting your 5 star review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Portland experience overall and we hope to welcome you again in the future whether it's business or pleasure.

folsom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We spent three nights at The Nines in Portland over the 4th of July holiday. After reading so many positive reviews, I am pleased to write that our experience at The Nines exceeded our expectations. We arrived at the hotel fairly early in the morning due to our flight (took light rail from airport to hotel, highly recommend), had an excellent breakfast at the Urban Farmer Restaurant within the hotel, and by the time we finished eating (10:00 a.m.) our room was ready. The lobby area of the hotel is very relaxed and inviting, I think the fact the hotel lobby is located numerous floors above the street-level is a plus and adds to this atmosphere. The common areas and hallways in the hotel are decorated uniquely with a vibrant color scheme that was appealing to us. I had heard some comments that the rooms were on the small side, we did not have that same experience. Our room (two queens), which was on the 11th floor, and faced north (towards Willamette River) and was easily spacious enough for our family of four. The room was tastefully decorated and provided views of downtown and the river beyond. The bathroom was very elegant with quality bath products to use. During our visit, the concierge was very helpful and assisted with many questions about sights, transportation, and restaurants. The hotel is situated in a perfect location in downtown Portland, we were able to walk to many of the attractions very easily. In addition, we utilized the light rail and street car system to move about the areas that we too far to walk. We did not rent a car and felt that we were able to do all we wanted without the hassle of driving and parking in the City. I would highly recommend a stay at The Nines and would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a room that facing the exterior of the hotel as the interior rooms face a courtyard that migh...
Dear banksfolsom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased to learn that we were able to surpass your expectations and it will be my pleasure to share your compliments with the team. We will hope to welcome you again for your next escape in our City of Roses. Please let me know if I may assist in any future travels.

anywhere warm!
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Let me start by saying that there was nothing horribly wrong with this hotel. If this had been a Hilton or Sheraton, I would have given it 4-5 stars. But this hotel is a Starwood Luxury property, and as such, I am judging it as per the price and against other Starwood Luxury properties I have stayed at. It simply doesn't compare. The hotel website specifically mentions its location in a historical landmark building, but it does not retain any charm of the site.

Pros: It's in a good location in downtown Portland. The employees we interacted with were friendly, and valet was prompt to have our car ready when called. The atrium restaurant had a good bar and the menu looked very good (we only had drinks and didn't eat there.)

Cons: Decor looks like an attempt to make an old dated Sheraton look like someone's generic idea of a boutique hotel, and was done so without any finesse. The superior room we had was so small as to be comical, and the only lighting came from two small bedside lamps. There were no blackout shades, only sheers. The sink pressure was so low that we joked about how long it would take us to wash our hands. There is free coffee in the lobby every morning, but it is so diluted as to be undrinkable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear travelbug199,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay and hope that you may allow us an opportunity to redeem your current expectations in the future. We do have a variety of room types and sizes and I would like to extend my services to you if you would like to return as it would be my pleasure to assist in confirming a room best suited to your preferences. I am at your service if you would like to discuss further.