“Nice but boring”

GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice but boring”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Expected to have a fantastic experience at the Nines but it was lackluster. Had a view of the interior courtyard of the hotel. Location is excellent. Service is good. Rooms are just blah.
Only other hotel i stayed at in Portland was the Marriot which was blah but I had a veiw of Mt Hood which was great.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank BellaField
MarcAdrar, Assistant General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Dear BellaField,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience with us and I apologize that our property fell short of your expectations during this visit. Please feel free to contact me directly should you like to discuss this further. We hope for the opportunity to welcome you in the future to redeem your current expectation.

Marc.Adrar@theNines.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed at The Nines while attending a business conference in PDX. The entire hotel staff was extremely courteous and friendly. Always going out of their way to say hello and ask if there was anything they could do to make the stay better. I went for a long run and returned to the hotel sweaty and tired. Upon entering the lobby, one of the valet's ran into a backroom and fetched me a bottle of water without even asking if I wanted one. The hotel room was great. Very comfortable beds, spacious and quiet rooms, etc. Hotel is located in the heart of downtown PDX - easy walking distance to the waterfront, food, etc. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear John C,

Thank you for your 5 star review! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the Nines location and service. We hope to welcome you again soon!

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Nines as a work reward trip. Overall it was an amazing experience mainly due to the top-notch service across the board. Peter, the concierge, provided awesome restaurant recommendations, secured all reservations and then provided us both a written itinerary and text confirmations. To some extent that is expected at a nice hotel. However, when we arrived at our first dinner that night, we realized that Peter was able to get us into one of the most popular restaurants in the city and at the last minute. He also arranged to send us cordials and a small treat at the end of the meal. It certainly made an impression. The great part is that the restaurant (Andina) was super fun, tasty, and not overly stuffy and pricey. Exactly what we were looking for. In fact, all of his restaurant recommendations were spot on without a miss. Laurie in the club lounge was another great example of service. She offered excellent counsel on a few popular city attractions and even provided a few free tickets to the Japanese Garden. Perhaps I am just not used to this level of hospitality (although well-traveled) but the Nines has amazing service from the front desk to the concierge to the valet. All were relatable and downright helpful. Great find.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Katie W,

Many thanks on your comments and for acknowledging the exceptional service that Peter, Laurie and the team have provided. We truly appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience and for recommending our property. Please know that I have shared your comments with the whole of the team and we look forward to welcoming you again during your next trip to Portland.

New York, Ny
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We were on the 7th floor facing the courthouse. It was a lovely view and the room was charming, but small.

We had to ask for a new duvet the second we arrived because of a nasty yellow stain right in the middle of the bed (that smelled and looked as though they tried to scrub at it instead of change the duvet from previous occupant)- even our bell hop bringing in our luggage made a face at.

The street noise didn't bother us, but we could hear every time someone entered or left three room down the hall. Little things like only having one robe despite us being booked as 2 in the room made it a but less special.

Nice but not amazing for the price.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Tara K
Dear Tara K,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay at the Nines. We do have a variety of room types and sizes and I would like to extend my services to you if you would like to return in the future. It would be my pleasure to assist in confirming a room best suited to your preferences. Additionally, I apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with the duvet cover in the room and I assure you this is not standard at the Nines. Please feel free to reach out to myself directly if I may assist in the future.

Los Angeles
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed at The Nines on a recent business trip. It is in a very nice location convenient to many downtown Portland attractions and restaurants. The room, facing the atrium, was very quiet. The service in the Club Lounge was outstanding, especially Joshua. Two negatives kept me from giving the top rating. One was my room was not ready when I arrived on a Sunday at 4:30 pm. I had to wait approx an hour until the room was ready. Second was their in-house restaurant was a bit too costly for the meal. I would not eat there again....much better value at a number of restaurants just a few steps away.

Room Tip: My room, facing the atrium, was very quiet. I cannot comment on the rooms facing the street.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear clarkjh,

I appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience and for recommending our property. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you encountered with room readiness and the prices set in our Urban Farmer restaurant. We will consider your comments and do our best to improve for you as well as our future guests. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you choose to return in the future as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back for an opportunity to redeem your current expectations.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed at The Nines for 10 days in July 2014 and was terribly disappointed with this stay. Must say we have stayed here before, many many times and had our stay been fine would not have left this review, but several incidents led to this review being written.

There were two of us staying in the room, however, the room was set up for one person, no problem, I called the front desk and asked for the records to be updated - this took 4 days and 4 phone calls before this happened. It also took another 4 phone calls requesting extra towels every day so we could both shower - that is not taking into account the turndown service for 1.

There was no consistency to housekeeping, both in frequency, timing and standard. Some days it was done first thing (9.00am), other days last thing (4.00pm) - made it difficult to work from the room in comfort. Some days the room was cleaned and the bin was emptied, other days not at all.

Usually the room we are given is big enough for two people staying for a length of 10 days, this time it was a smaller room, not a problem, bit tight but manageable. Except for how thin the walls were, on one side we had a couple who argued A LOT and we could hear every word and on the other a family with sibling rivalry the resulted in screaming in the bathroom and slamming of doors. These factors are unlucky, but in addition to the other items, just made the stay even less enjoyable.

Do want to say that Room Service and The Urban Farmer were as wonderful as always, staff very friendly, food amazing and great service.

Each time i contacted the hotel staff they were polite and courteous and did their best to resolve the issues...however, we left after 10 days feeling very disillusioned with our stay and wishing it had been better, at $252 a night we at least wanted enough towels to take a shower.
Sad times.

Room Tip: Go for a corner room as they are generally quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Victhinks
Dear Victhinks,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. It is regrettable that your most recent stay with us did not meet the expectations that have been previously set and provided to you. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your comments– we would like to be able to correct this immediately. Please feel free to contact me at Marc.Adrar@thenines.com so I can investigate this further, as I would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring.

If you have any further questions or comments, please let me know.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 August 2014

On a recent trip to Portland to celebrate the beau's bday, we reserved a room at The Nines. I was excited to see the hotel based on reviews and photos. We were quite happy upon check-in. Nice room, lovely decor, friendly and accommodating staff, and the most perfect location.

The rooms are a bit tiny for two, but that just made it more intimate. The bathroom was a nice size, able to accommodate two if needed. The bed was comfy and the turn-down service was also quite nice.

I'm not much into nightlife but there are options in the hotel if that's your thing. There's a lounge on the top floor (Departure) with a great view of the city and a wonderful restaurant (Urban Farmer) on the lobby level. We ordered room service from Urban Farmer one evening and it was delicious and the service was fast and friendly.

We would definitely consider staying here again on our next visit, although I would never pay full price for a room. Then again, I never pay full price for anything...that's craziness.

Green Features: I was happy that the hotel was eco friendly...low flow toilets and faucets, recycle bins in the rooms and the option of reusing your towels to also save on water and electricity usage.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HilwaArabiya
Dear HilwaArabiya,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed an intimate evening and we will hope to welcome you again during your next trip to Portland. Heads up to keep an eye open for deals after the end of peak season. We all love a good deal!