“Looks can be deceiving”

GreenLeadersGold level
Las Vegas, NV
“Looks can be deceiving”
Reviewed 11 February 2009

Modern, glamorous hotel. Awesome atrium. Staff a little slow. Restaurant good for drinks and socializing. Stay away from the food! There are lots of good restaurants in Portland. If you don't want to pony up for the town car/limo they have parked outside prepare to wait a long time for a taxi. Coming and going is a problem. The hotel is on a one way/one lane street right next to the train. Getting picked up or dropped off could take a while. Unlike most hotels they have no taxi stand making venturing out of the hotel all the more of a hassle. Their Limo drivers drive Lincoln Town cars yet charge close to limo rates. I started calling a taxi from my room and had him meet me up the street in a more accessible area. Neat idea, horrible location.

4 Thank GoldJewelry
the_Nines, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 12 February 2009
Thank you for the feedback.

I apologize that our restaurant service fell short of your expectations. As our food has been well received by our customers, I was surprised by your comment. I’d like to know more about your experience so I can share with our team.

Our hotel location, next to the MAX light rail, provides a “green” option for our guests. For those who prefer taxi or town car service, both can be provided through our concierge or bell staff. While we do not maintain a taxi stand, we do maintain a direct connect to Radio Cab which alerts all cabs at once that a guest is waiting at the Nines. For those who visit us via automobile, complimentary bottles of water are provided to all overnight valet guests.

I hope we can speak further and invite you to contact me, at your convenience.

Fred Kleisner
503.222.9996

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
Monmouth
Reviewed 8 February 2009

How often can you spend the night in a brand new 4 star hotel? And for $99.00? This place is great! From the door people to reception to housekeeping, everyone has a smile and a professional attitude. Yes, the rooms are small, but exceedingly well appointed and with real attention to detail. Suggestions: 1) don't buy ANYTHING that is not included in the rate - we witnessed someone being charged $100.00 for a three lilly bouquet (yes, you read that correctly); 2) park at the Smart Park on 3rd and Alder - it's $8.50 for 24 hours on the weekends, and there is someone on duty at all times. Clearly the word is out. The hotel was completely full this past weekend, so go while you can at this price! The Nines is a real city hotel, with real city features. Yay for Portland!

Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Tassajara12
Seattle
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Heard about this new hotel, decided to give it a try for their introductory price $99 for 99 days (available to the end of April).

Location is great, the Max line is directly in front of the hotel and the free streetcar is a short walk a couple blocks away. Great bars (happy hour), shopping, and restaurants nearby.

Valet very attentive, expect to pay $32 for their valet vs. paying $22 to park yourself a couple blocks away in a garage. Need to call 10 minutes in advance to get your car but the front desk helps with this when you check out.

Doormen always open and close doors for your arrival/departure to lobby. Lobby is confusing, from what a traditional check-in is. Go to the 8th floor on elevators to actually see someone to check-in. Once there, the decor suggests "W"/Starwood themes, then find the check-in around the corner. The lobby is directly behind and has pieces of minimalist decor/mannequins and large sumptuous couches. There is also a small "library" that has books to borrow and 1 pool table which was occupied for most of our stay in the evening. Expect to pay $$$ for cocktails here. Better off venturing to nearby restaurants.

Room was well decorated, looked over atrium to lobby. My only complaint for the decor, if you looked down the hallway, it almost has a "funhouse" feel because the wallpaper is large and rethemed throughout the hall and rooms. You'd get lost if there weren't signs nearby. The bed linens extremely soft and turn down service for the evening. You'll find services for complimentary shoe cleaning, remotes, dry cleaning and breakfast requests on your bed with robe. Just don't bother with the treats, they tasted like stale marshmellows.

The decor is comfortable and updated 50's retro with a modern twist. Bathroom has excellent amenities and "rain" shower. Great supply of towels, pillows, robes, free water, shoe horn, lint brush, illuminated magnified mirror, hair dryer, and the shampoo smelled wonderful ;) Beware of the in snack bar, expensive. Flat screen TV was a plus, as well as free Wi Fii and extra outlets in desk. Nice touch with ipod /iphone compatible stereo at bedside.

The gym is excellent with TV in consoles of treadmills and elliptical. Free bottled water and headphone to borrow.
No pool :( Next to a great business center with copy machine and 3 computers.

I would be surprised to find children running around here for fear of them breaking something expensive. Not kid friendly. More for business or romantic city getaway.

Concierage helped with early check-in and helped list restaurant suggestions nearby. They looked bored during our stay, probably an unused/unknown valuable resource. All staff very helpful and attentive, wonderful.

Overall, for the value this hotel offers as introductory $99 well worth it! However I imagine this will increase after, so if you need a luxurious get away "W" styled and priced this is your hotel. Leave the kids with the sitter and bring your poshy wardrobe.

• Liked — Comfortable bedding, first class service, downtown location
  • Disliked — Overpriced/Overrated luxuries
1 Thank dmay16
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 27 January 2009

We loved this hotel! Everything about it was a delight. The service was outstanding, the rooms were great, the restaurant was delicious and the location was fabulous!
We were there the weekend before christmas during the snowstorm that crippled the northwest.
The hotel staff ensured that service was seamless, they arranged for an SUV to drive us to the airport -- we ended up driving to Seattle to make out connection!
the rooms reminded us of a W. Very hip, very comfortable!
The lounge/common area off the restaurant and bar are ideal for hanging with friends or having a drink after shopping around downtown portland.
When we arrived late friday evening/saturday morning, the bellman took us on a tour of the lounge area -- he showed the property off with such pride it was hard not to be thrilled staying there.
The hotel's decor is comfortable as well as hip and interesting.
We plan on going back to portland this summer and intend to stay there -- The Nine's rooftop Asian Fusion restaurant will be open then as well!
Bottom line -- LOVED this hotel!

• Liked — the lounge off the main lobby, the service
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kaj2600
Vancouver
Reviewed 27 January 2009

Stayed over a weekend in January. I knew that the hotel was quite new and there would be some kinks in the level of service. While the design of the hotel may not be liked by all, I found it quite interesting.
The staff of the hotel were helpful and friendly. The staff at the Club Lounge were excellent. Were very accomodating to my 3 year old daughter, and were always looking for ways to make our stay more comfortable.
Rooms were well equipped and super clean (new hotel). Beds were comfortable, though I prefer the Westin beds.

I enjoyed my stay. It is a "hip" hotel in Portland. The staff was young and friendly, and tried to make the stay as comfortable as possible.

The major caveat. There are interior rooms that over look the atrium. While it is a pretty nice view looking down at the lounge, bar and restaurant area, it is very noisy until about midnite or later. As I am light sleeper, it was driving me crazy. Though they did move my room the next night.

I would recommend this hotel with the caveat that if you are a light slepper, not to get an atrium room. I would definitely stay again, but only if I could get an exterior room.

3 Thank jjkathome
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 25 January 2009

We LOVED The Nines! (except for one glaring problem) - we LOVED the decor, it was so whimisical and fun - they really ran with the retail theme with the mannekins and oversized shoes and oversized necklaces (that sounds weird until you go there).

We also ate at the Urban Farmer for both dinner and breakfast. I did not think my steak was that good (especially for the price) - did not have the char that I like, but it tasted ok. Everything else was really good.

And the service? I had also read that they were snotty and whatnot, but maybe because we're older (late 50's, early 60's) they treated us with the same non-snotty respect they'd probably treat their own parents, lol. From the valets to check-in to bartender to waitresses to the people that just hang out in the lobby to direct you where you need to go everyone was very nice. This place is NOT understaffed at all. And we got the smokin' $99 deal - good until April I believe.

The glaring problem is we got the least expensive atrium room for that $99 - and were disturbed by music emanating up from below. I guess it never dawned on me that might be a problem - we've stayed in atrium style Embassy Suites and the difference is they don't have any activity down below except for cocktails and breakfast. I did call after midnight complaining about the music and to their credit they turned it down right away (I guess no one else thought it was an issue, or they were all down there enjoying it!). There were also rooms on the other side of the hall that faced the street, but they might be noisy with typical street noise. I guess you can't win if you want a quiet stay, but if you're young and/or noise doesn't bother you this was a great place.

Our room was very small (but standard for that type). I would LOVE to go back and stay in one of the suites - even in our small room the decor was sexy and different with the black and aqua, the beaded lampshades, the leather headboard. Sounds cheesy but it really works.

Extremely comfortable lobby with lots and lots of seating - even some seating inside these curtained cubicles if you need privacy for business or whatever. A small room called the Libarary was a lounge, but it was so dark in there I can't believe anyone could even look at any of the books or see to play pool.

We were going to wander around the area but LOVED the hotel so much we stayed in and sat at the bar (I tried Absinthe for the first time), then came back later for dinner and as I said breakfast. We chose to eat in two different areas of the restaurant - very unusual set-up, too complicated to explain here - let's just say they ran with the "Urban Farmer" theme there.

But if you do venture outside you are smack dab in the middle of Portland's conventional shopping area (Macy's is right downstairs in the same building, Nordstrom a block away).

A fun new choice in Portland.

• Stayed January 2009
3 Thank Warmwinds
Ridgefield, Washington
Reviewed 23 January 2009

Once we got past the chaos at the front entrance The Nines provided a tranquil lushness rarely experienced in the middle of a city. We found a unique combination of comfort (luxury bedding, huge fluffy towels and robes) high tech (42” flat panels in every room) and locale (downtown Portland). After dinner with friends we retreated to our corner room on the 14th floor and didn’t hear a peep from the street below. Breakfast in the Urban Farmer was a treat; the enormous atrium made it feel like summer despite the snow and 30 degree weather outside. We emerged from our cocoon refreshed and ready to re-enter the holiday madness.

• Liked — Everything was 1st rate.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple