“Swanky, Luxurious, Memorable stay.”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #23 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 February 2009

My husband and I stayed here for New Year's Eve night. We loved it! We had a room that faced the outside instead of the inside atrium, and I think that was to our advantage, since there was a big party going on in the atrium for New Years. We absolutely loved the decor. We didn't drive to the Nines, so we have no input about the valet service or anything, but from what I could tell it was incredible. The bellhops are sharp as tacks and very quick to serve you. We watched them receive notice of someone's check out, be handed the keys to the car, and they would go RUNNING about three or four blocks away to retrieve the car for the customer so that it would be waiting for them by the time they made it down to the entrance of the hotel. It was incredible to watch. The bellhops look like they are all out of college or in their last few years of college. Clean cut and handsome. They literally run to your car to help you into it or out of it and shelter you from the rain. It was impressive.

The beds were heavenly. The tv was huge, a flat panel 42 incher I think. The room service was timely and good, but VERY expensive for us.

The bathroom is spacious, I took a bath while there but ran out of hot water mid way into it. They have really great toiletries and robes (not free) as well as slippers you can keep for free. Top brands.

Their lobby is unbelievable. It's very edgy and trendy. It's a big open atrium space with these cubical type things which house couches and coffee tables where groups can meet in a more private format. While we were enjoying the lobby we were offered drinks or food. It's important for the rest of my review to understand that we were not inside their restaurant. We were simply sitting in the lobby enjoying ourselves. But they offer you a menu and drinks if you like. Since this was mid-afteroon we ordered some fries and two drinks. The fries we ordered were anything but just fries. They were superb. They were seasoned and cooked to perfection. I ordered a cocktail and they didn't skimp on the alcohol. I wasn't expecting to get buzzed by it, but I was thoroughly tipsy by the time I finished it to my surprise. The waitress was a bit spacey. She was sweet, but gave us the wrong menu to begin with. Then when the actual chef came out and explained that because it was New Year's they had a specific menu, and the waitress had provided us with the wrong menu, that he would pay for our food himself. So we were really patient and kind about it. We're laid back like that. But the waitress came back with our receipt and everything was charged to it. So we informed her that the chef had offered to pay for our meal. She was kind and changed parts of it, but we still ended up paying for both of our drinks which were the most expensive part. Since our "meal" consisted of the two drinks and fries, the fries were covered and the rest wasn't. We didn't bother her to correct it, because we felt bad about the whole thing, even though we shouldn't have. Overall, I felt the lack of communication was a big problem for the servers. Just something to consider if you're a particularly picky type of person when it comes to your food. We had similar issues with our room service. I simply wanted milk with my breakfast, but there was no option for just milk in the drinks categories, so I circled the milk option under the cereal category, but didn't pick a cereal. I was hoping I'd get milk and no cereal, but I got milk and ALL of the cereal choices PLUS my waffles. So we got charged for that too. Maybe we just aren't up front enough. Who knows. But make sure to be specific. Also, when we ordered a chicken dish via room service they gave it to us without the vegetables that the menu said would come with it. $40 and two chicken breasts. I was sort of irked about it at this point. Anyway, I suppose the moral of the story is, be persistent. They're a new hotel and haven't gotten their kinks worked out as of yet I suppose. And don't get room service!

Other than that, we loved the vibe of the hotel. The business room was exceptional from what we saw. The work out room was small but good and clean. The rooms made me want to stay in all day (which we sort of did anyways!)

We loved the Nines despite the food service issues, which weren't really that big of a deal anyways.

I would recommend this hotel to 20 something's, and wouldn't recommend it to people with young kids (it is not a friendly environment to kids in my opinion. Way too many decorative things to mess with in the rooms and lobby.) I also wouldn't recommend it to people who prefer victorian style and hate modern styles. This place is about as modern as it gets.
Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NevaraIdaho
There are newer reviews for The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland

Reviewed 16 February 2009

Loved this place so much, booked it again before I left for a return trip 2 weeks later. I am very spoiled and downtown Portland has some great 5 star hotels but I can't imagine staying anywhere else. From valet (Mark, Andrew & Ricoh are awesome) to front desk, servers in lobby and Urban Farmer; all were attentive and friendly. The Nines is stylish, has a fun vibe, amazing location but at the same time comfortable. However, what really put me "over the top" is their fitness center...wow. See you next weekend!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank QueenLeia
Reviewed 11 February 2009

Modern, glamorous hotel. Awesome atrium. Staff a little slow. Restaurant good for drinks and socializing. Stay away from the food! There are lots of good restaurants in Portland. If you don't want to pony up for the town car/limo they have parked outside prepare to wait a long time for a taxi. Coming and going is a problem. The hotel is on a one way/one lane street right next to the train. Getting picked up or dropped off could take a while. Unlike most hotels they have no taxi stand making venturing out of the hotel all the more of a hassle. Their Limo drivers drive Lincoln Town cars yet charge close to limo rates. I started calling a taxi from my room and had him meet me up the street in a more accessible area. Neat idea, horrible location.

4  Thank GoldJewelry
the_Nines, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2009

Thank you for the feedback.

I apologize that our restaurant service fell short of your expectations. As our food has been well received by our customers, I was surprised by your comment. I’d like to know more about your experience so I can share with our team.

Our hotel location, next to the MAX light rail, provides a “green” option for our guests. For those who prefer taxi or town car service, both can be provided through our concierge or bell staff. While we do not maintain a taxi stand, we do maintain a direct connect to Radio Cab which alerts all cabs at once that a guest is waiting at the Nines. For those who visit us via automobile, complimentary bottles of water are provided to all overnight valet guests.

I hope we can speak further and invite you to contact me, at your convenience.

Fred Kleisner
503.222.9996

Reviewed 8 February 2009

How often can you spend the night in a brand new 4 star hotel? And for $99.00? This place is great! From the door people to reception to housekeeping, everyone has a smile and a professional attitude. Yes, the rooms are small, but exceedingly well appointed and with real attention to detail. Suggestions: 1) don't buy ANYTHING that is not included in the rate - we witnessed someone being charged $100.00 for a three lilly bouquet (yes, you read that correctly); 2) park at the Smart Park on 3rd and Alder - it's $8.50 for 24 hours on the weekends, and there is someone on duty at all times. Clearly the word is out. The hotel was completely full this past weekend, so go while you can at this price! The Nines is a real city hotel, with real city features. Yay for Portland!

Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Tassajara12
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Heard about this new hotel, decided to give it a try for their introductory price $99 for 99 days (available to the end of April).

Location is great, the Max line is directly in front of the hotel and the free streetcar is a short walk a couple blocks away. Great bars (happy hour), shopping, and restaurants nearby.

Valet very attentive, expect to pay $32 for their valet vs. paying $22 to park yourself a couple blocks away in a garage. Need to call 10 minutes in advance to get your car but the front desk helps with this when you check out.

Doormen always open and close doors for your arrival/departure to lobby. Lobby is confusing, from what a traditional check-in is. Go to the 8th floor on elevators to actually see someone to check-in. Once there, the decor suggests "W"/Starwood themes, then find the check-in around the corner. The lobby is directly behind and has pieces of minimalist decor/mannequins and large sumptuous couches. There is also a small "library" that has books to borrow and 1 pool table which was occupied for most of our stay in the evening. Expect to pay $$$ for cocktails here. Better off venturing to nearby restaurants.

Room was well decorated, looked over atrium to lobby. My only complaint for the decor, if you looked down the hallway, it almost has a "funhouse" feel because the wallpaper is large and rethemed throughout the hall and rooms. You'd get lost if there weren't signs nearby. The bed linens extremely soft and turn down service for the evening. You'll find services for complimentary shoe cleaning, remotes, dry cleaning and breakfast requests on your bed with robe. Just don't bother with the treats, they tasted like stale marshmellows.

The decor is comfortable and updated 50's retro with a modern twist. Bathroom has excellent amenities and "rain" shower. Great supply of towels, pillows, robes, free water, shoe horn, lint brush, illuminated magnified mirror, hair dryer, and the shampoo smelled wonderful ;) Beware of the in snack bar, expensive. Flat screen TV was a plus, as well as free Wi Fii and extra outlets in desk. Nice touch with ipod /iphone compatible stereo at bedside.

The gym is excellent with TV in consoles of treadmills and elliptical. Free bottled water and headphone to borrow.
No pool :( Next to a great business center with copy machine and 3 computers.

I would be surprised to find children running around here for fear of them breaking something expensive. Not kid friendly. More for business or romantic city getaway.

Concierage helped with early check-in and helped list restaurant suggestions nearby. They looked bored during our stay, probably an unused/unknown valuable resource. All staff very helpful and attentive, wonderful.

Overall, for the value this hotel offers as introductory $99 well worth it! However I imagine this will increase after, so if you need a luxurious get away "W" styled and priced this is your hotel. Leave the kids with the sitter and bring your poshy wardrobe.

1  Thank dmay16
Reviewed 27 January 2009

We loved this hotel! Everything about it was a delight. The service was outstanding, the rooms were great, the restaurant was delicious and the location was fabulous!
We were there the weekend before christmas during the snowstorm that crippled the northwest.
The hotel staff ensured that service was seamless, they arranged for an SUV to drive us to the airport -- we ended up driving to Seattle to make out connection!
the rooms reminded us of a W. Very hip, very comfortable!
The lounge/common area off the restaurant and bar are ideal for hanging with friends or having a drink after shopping around downtown portland.
When we arrived late friday evening/saturday morning, the bellman took us on a tour of the lounge area -- he showed the property off with such pride it was hard not to be thrilled staying there.
The hotel's decor is comfortable as well as hip and interesting.
We plan on going back to portland this summer and intend to stay there -- The Nine's rooftop Asian Fusion restaurant will be open then as well!
Bottom line -- LOVED this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kaj2600
Reviewed 27 January 2009

Stayed over a weekend in January. I knew that the hotel was quite new and there would be some kinks in the level of service. While the design of the hotel may not be liked by all, I found it quite interesting.
The staff of the hotel were helpful and friendly. The staff at the Club Lounge were excellent. Were very accomodating to my 3 year old daughter, and were always looking for ways to make our stay more comfortable.
Rooms were well equipped and super clean (new hotel). Beds were comfortable, though I prefer the Westin beds.

I enjoyed my stay. It is a "hip" hotel in Portland. The staff was young and friendly, and tried to make the stay as comfortable as possible.

The major caveat. There are interior rooms that over look the atrium. While it is a pretty nice view looking down at the lounge, bar and restaurant area, it is very noisy until about midnite or later. As I am light sleeper, it was driving me crazy. Though they did move my room the next night.

I would recommend this hotel with the caveat that if you are a light slepper, not to get an atrium room. I would definitely stay again, but only if I could get an exterior room.

3  Thank jjkathome