“Swanky, Plush & Affordable”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #17 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Ashland, Oregon
“Swanky, Plush & Affordable”
Reviewed 14 July 2009

A remarkable swanky hotel right in the heart of downtown Portland. The Max train and street cars were conveniently accessible. I loved the mod/swanky decor in the spacious rooms. Fabulous room service, the beds were extremely comfortable. I have nothing negative to say about The Nines. I will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SequoiaBlue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
santa barbara
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Is now one of my favorite hotels. The hotel is beautiful, located in a great area and the service is perfect. Unlike most hotels where service has been painfully reduced, it seems that the nines has taken a different approach. The service was quick, efficient and responsive. The Club Level Lounge staff was unbelievable, Douglas in particular went out of his was to accomodate our requests and in most cases to anticipated them before we asked. Awesome is all I can say about our stay!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank tobeintouch
Burnaby, British Columbia
Reviewed 12 July 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night and we managed to find a great deal online through a blind third party site and because of this we were given a smaller room on the lowest floor (which is still the eight floor). The rooms and lobby are all beautifully decorated and they have artwork all over the place. The bathrooms were elegant, clean, spacious and made me regret not taking multiple showers during my trip. My boyfriend and I actually gasped loudly as we stepped into our room. Its definitely the prettiest hotel I've stayed at so far.

The turn down service is a nice touch and the room service lady who showed up was very sweet and came back and offered us more chocolates when she saw that I liked them. The location is right in the middle of some great shopping. The free wireless internet was useful for searching up nearby restaurants. I'd love to come back again to The Nines the next time I'm in Portland!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PiggyExplores
Indianapolis
Reviewed 11 July 2009

We stayed for 3 nights in June. The location at Pioneer square can't be beat. You can take the Max anywhere. If you have questions about anything the concierge was very helpful. Definately skip the car. You will have a much better time without it. We took max from the airport and it was a breeze.

The rooms are not huge, but very well decorated. The doors are very heavy, nice hardware, comfy beds. Nice toiletries, Bliss Spa carries this brand. We just had a regular interior room and it was fine. Not noisy at all as some have thought and my husband is actually a light sleeper. There is a little office area that's nice to store your suitcase/clothes in. Since the rooms are a little smaller it's nice to keep all your stuff in there so you don't clutter the room up.

We got a great rate. It was about 100$ a night. How can I possibly complain about this gorgeous place for that price? People have complained about the aloof service/attitude. I didn't see that at all. The staff is young in general and they do a good job. I personally prefer casual service. It's good, mellow service that doesn't seem fake. Low key, friendly and genuine is better any day in my book. I really don't get that big of a kick out of hearing my name or being called Mrs. so and so. Hi with a smile is fine.

The Urban Farmer restaurant happy hour is nice. My husband loved the Ahi, I had chicken crocette? sort of a weird little appetizer. I didn't see a bit of chicken or taste chicken, not that great. I guess I expected something different. They were breaded balls. I'd go for the Kobe Beef burger next time and some chips. You could actually make that your dinner.

We drank the beer and white wine of the day. It was fine, nice place to sit and enjoy the scenery. We were there on a Friday, Sat and Sunday. It's not that happening as people made it out to be. Maybe it was the hot place to be when it first opened, but no one really stays out that late in Portland. I thought it would be loud and noisy with our room facing the atrium where the restaurant is, no problem, went right to sleep.

We didn't get the chance to go to the rooftop bar. We were going to go on Sunday, but it's closed on Sunday. Looks really cool. Don't miss it like we did. Not sure if I'd really want to pay to eat there, but seems great for a drink.

If you get a good rate I'd stay here. Anything 150 or under is a deal. It's a very chic little hotel without pretention, just like Portland. If you don't have ridiculous expectations you will be pleased. Really an unbelievable deal in such a great location.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lrkg1234
Illinois
Reviewed 11 July 2009

The hotel was very new and clean. Our room had a view of Mt. Hood. The service was attentive. The concierge staff were always able to help. If you needed a place to eat or places to visit, they would give you suggestions, directions and maps.
I would not recommend this hotel to families traveling with children. There is no pool and not much that would interest youngsters.

The only thing we weren't happy with was that there were too many young pan handlers in the neighborhood. They were around the hotel and across the street. They (panhandlers) were out mainly in the evening, so we were not comfortable to walk outside in the evening.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrGrummpy
Vancouver
Reviewed 10 July 2009

We stayed at their club level room for 3 nights and enjoyed every single moment. The room was beautiful & clean with nice view overlooking the bridge. The club lounge is good with some snacks and drinks available. However, it seems getting busier on weekends and you may not find any seats during breakfast hours. No additional charge for DVD movies so we watched "Twilight".

The location is excellent & right on the MAX lines. The MAX train ride to the Oregon Zoo is within 20 mins on either RED and BLUE lines.

We got a complimentary dessert from the concierge at the restaurant he recommended for my friend's graduation celebration. What a nice surprise!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Oregon
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We got a great deal on this hotel and the entire facility and rooms exceeded our expectations. The style is different (in a good way) from many Portland hotels, but everything is clean and new and it is very nice to be able to check out the several different bars in the hotel or to be able to walk to many other less expensive restaurants in the area. The bar that is now open on top of the hotel offers a great view of Portland on a clear day. If you can get a decent rate, stay here!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple