“Had a blast with the girls, must return with my love!”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #16 of 140 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Juneau, Alaska
“Had a blast with the girls, must return with my love!”
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Oh my word! I loved everything about this hotel! The atmosphere, location, staff, rooms, food. I have rarely enjoyed a stay in a hotel as much as loved this. It was a complete surprise, as we had no preconceived expectations for the trip.
The hotels decor was alive and invoked excitement and warmth with a deep appreciation of beauty and imagination. It welcomed me to be a part of the experience that would make exploring the city of Portland a memorable experience. It was a little spendy, but I cannot wait to bring the man that I love here to this hotel and this city! My only regret was that my room would not have a jacuzzi tub!
We all still talk about coming back. Even my love has it on his radar and he hasn't even been there yet! Try it everyone, you WILL NOT be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Stayed with my wife and almost-2-year-old and had a blast. They brought a crib up to the room in a moments notice. The guys at the bell stand downstairs were excellent, and they were always quick to give you a recommendation for places to eat, tour, etc. Would definitely recommend staying here.

Parking was $6 cheaper down the street, but wasn't worth the hassle. Parking is steep at around $30 per night.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Boston, MA
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This is the second year I have stayed at this excellent hotel. My stays have been for about a week. This is the second year of a great stay and so I am compelled to report. My rooms have been comfortable and quiet. I have found the staff extremely courteous and helpful. One ex. I ran out out coffeemaker coffee for the Keurig one cup maker the room had and within minutes it was delivered to my room during a busy part of the check in afternoon. The housekeeping service was very good . Room was clean and the staff was attentive - my ice bucket was freshly stocked with ice nighty and I never ran low on toiletries. The valet staff consistently hustled to get our car and the few guys I asked about directions or nightspots knew the town and were articulate about it like a decent concierge. The hotel is in a good location fore public transport and nightlife and has neat decor and a decent restaurant for breakfast - local grown. Absolutely no complaints. I hope my Company travels and stays at the Nines next year!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 5 September 2010

This hotel was a lucky find on hotwire and I got a great deal. Located right near Pioneer Square and the light rail system and walking access to all hots spots and shopping in the downtown area.

I had a king size room with a fantastic bed, flat screen TV and great bathroom. Staff were friendly and efficient and there is a great restaurant for breakfast called the Urban Farmer. Also free internet access which is a bonus if you are travelling without a laptop or wireless device.

Only downside was the parking fee which I wasn't aware of until check out.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 3 September 2010

I travel to Portland often for work and have been dying to stay at The Nines for the past year. I finally got a good rate (within company guidelines) and was able to stay for 4 nights. I've stayed at most Portland chain hotels- Hotel Monaco, both Marriotts, The Westin and the Hilton many times-those hotels don't even compare to this one!

The hotel is absolutely gorgeous! Very modern, hip, urban and cosmopolitan- similar to hotels you would find in Madrid or Milan.

I ate at both restaurants every day during my 4 day stay. Urban Farmer on the 8th floor has a great happy hour from 3-6pm. What I really liked is that you can sit out in the atrium/lobby area and get served food & drinks- so you don't have to sit in the main bar area. You can sit back on a comfy couch, bring your laptop and have some wine. Its a very social atmosphere and because of the natural light in the atrium, you feel like you are sitting outside. For breakfast one morning I had the vegetable frittata with the housemade english muffins- it was so yummy!

Departure restaurant (asian fusion) on the 15th floor is really cool inside- Las Vegas type feel. The bar area is chill and gets pretty crowded. Happy Hour is from 4-6pm. The outdoor patio has amazing views and the day I was out there it was 80 degrees and perfect to hang out with friends and have some sushi. When the sun goes down, the place gets really crowded and I was suprised to see most of the women really dressed up- either wearing a cute dress, or skinny jeans with 3 inch heels. Its definetely the place to be seen. The food at Departure isn't that great. We spent $200 on food and I wasn't very impressed with any of it. You pay for the atmosphere and people watching I guess (how do you overcook edamame?).

Valet parking at the hotel is $32 per day and Wi-Fi was free in the rooms and also in the lobby area. There are parking garages all over downtown within a few blocks if you want to save money on the valet.

The location is superb- right in the heart of the shopping district. Pioneer Place mall across the street, Macy's next door, Nordstrom and Starbucks one block away. H&M is opening a store at Pioneer Place next month. The great thing about shopping in Portland is that there is NO SALES TAX! So bring an extra suitecase!

No fault of the hotel, but the one thing I hate about downtown Portland is all the homeless people. They are EVERYWHERE! It's rather unfortunate. The streets are safe, but I find it irritating to be asked for money every block that I walk on. I've learned to put my headphones on so they think I can't hear them and I try not to make eye contact.

Overall, this hotel was amazing and I cannot wait to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
California
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I considered many options for my family’s week long stay in Portland and I’m very happy that we splurged on this hotel. We loved the location, the service, the uniqueness of the hotel, and the room. Our deluxe room with 2 queens was more than adequate in size and the marble bathroom was elegant. Every staff person that we dealt with was friendly and helpful. We did hear some music at night from Departure or Urban Farmer, but it was turned down by 10:30 or 11. The hotel location in the center of the downtown made getting around easy, but the transportation system takes a little getting used to. The food in the Urban Farmer was very good, but we didn’t care much for Departure. Departure was too trendy and too skimpy on portions for our taste, but the view was wonderful.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 28 August 2010

There are so many cool, unusual and unique boutique hotels in Portland, I had a difficult time choosing which one to stay in. I'd looked at the Lucia, Monaco, Modera, and Fifty, but am really glad I chose The Nines. It's a really distinctive property with a lot going for it. Great vibe and great energy. Prepare to have your senses challenged when you're here!

The room: #1445 two queens with a nightly rate of $229 plus tax. I wish I had gotten a room with an outside view to the city, but this room looked out at the atrium and down to the lobby and Urban Farmer restaurant. The room was quite large and so was the bathroom which was well stocked with terrific amenities. My only real complaint was with the noise at night: you heard the loud music playing from in the bar area down below which reverberated off the atrium walls...But I also got the constant thumping beat of music bearing down from the Departures restaurant/bar area one floor above. For a somewhat quieter night and hopefully a more relaxing sleep, I'd choose a room somewhere between the eighth and fourteenth floor next time.

There is vibrant artwork everywhere. From the minute you take the elevators on street level up to the lobby, your senses are flooded with paintings, sculptures, pieces of modern art everywhere. It's very different, very colorful, and very hip. The architects were pretty smart and even aimed some artwork upwards, so people on the higher floors could gaze down from up above and be entertained. This is not your typical hotel lobby.

The Urban Farmer has a delicious breakfast and some of the biggest and tastiest English Muffins I had ever enjoyed. They're about the size of a small frisbee. I also enjoyed a wonderful steak one night at dinner. This place really knows beef. There's a wide variety of locally sourced and super quality beef on the menu and all of the servers are extremely knowledgeable about what is being served. But bring your wallet, because most of the steaks are pretty expensive. For an unusual ambiance, there are some adjacent video screens on the back wall with a constantly changing series of freeway images shot at different times of the day. It's eye catching and very distinctive.

The Departures restaurant and bar is a total zoo. The top floor doesn't open until 4pm, and that's when the "Beautiful People" of Portland start flooding in. In addition to two outdoor seating areas (with incredible views) there is also an Asian-themed restaurant and bar inside. It gets busy, active, and very loud. Fridays and Saturdays are supposed to be insane. During one of the nights I was a guest at The Nines, a Lady Gaga concert had just ended up the street. Concert goers packed the place en masse. It was chaos...but chaos in a good way.

Location: this can be both good and bad. Good: you're right in the middle of downtown Portland. Public transportation options are plentiful and it's easy to get around. Shops, stores and restaurants are everywhere and a close walk. Powells Books...maybe the best bookstore in the country, is eight blocks away and about a ten minute walk. Bad: tons of street people, bums, beggars and psychos on the streets at all hours. You leave the hotel building, exit your protective and serene cocoon of coolness, and instantly get hit by a tidal wave of human flotsam and jetsam. This made a distinct impression on me, and not necessarily a good one. While I never felt unsafe or threatened, you do need to stay aware and be on your toes when walking the streets here. Driving in downtown Portland, especially in this part of town, is not recommended for the faint of heart. It is definitely not driver friendly. The hotel does charge $32 for overnight valet parking. Other reviewers have complained about that in other postings. It's expensive, but it's also downtown Portland so it's to be expected. The valets on the street level are all tremendously friendly and efficient. I loved spending a few minutes with them people watching while waiting for my car to be brought around. It's quite a show.

One last thing: this is the first hotel I've ever stayed where I got a thank you note from housekeeping. As a rule, I always tip the housekeeping staff no matter if I'm staying one night or for a longer period of time. I put a $5 bill and a 'thank you' note in a glass when I left after my first night during my two night stay. When I returned that afternoon, the room was clean and spotless, and the housekeeper had written "Thank you!" and included a smiley face. That's a first.

To recap: The Nines is a trendy hotel with terrific energy and a great vibe. I'll be back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelingManVan
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 30 August 2010
Thank you for the acknowledgement and recommendation, we look forward to having you back! I am glad that you were able to experience so much of our hotel and restaurants during your short stay with us, and appreciate you providing such in-depth perspective on so many facets of our operations. Please let me know when you plan on returning so we can discuss how to enhance your next visit.