“Great Place!!”

Ranked #49 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 August 2009

I just returned from a quick three night stay in Portland. I had originally booked at a different hotel, but decided to change hotels so that I could have easy access to the light rail. I was only looking for a place to rest my head. I choose Aloft only based on it's proximity to the airport AND lightrail.
Boy am I glad I switched hotels!
I was in Portland to attend my nieces wedding, and really didn't expect to "enjoy" the hotel, but the Aloft is just simply a pleasurable experience all around!
First I would like to say that the Aloft impressed me before I even arrived.
My mom and step dad had booked a special pre-paid rate at Aloft which was non-refundable. Three days before they were meant to arrive, my step-dad was rushed to the hospital. He was admitted with a gall stone attackm,, but also needed several tests and was going to be in the hospital for quite a few days. I rang up the main Aloft number and explained the situation. The woman was extremely nice and said that she would contact the manager at Portland Aloft and reccomend tha they cancel the booking AND refund my moms card. At the end of the call she actually went out of her way to wish my family well.
Later on that evening I did get a call from Portland to say that they would happily refund her card.
WOW is all I can say. My mother and I are extremely grateful to the kind hearted folks at Aloft, and it was one less thing for my mom to worry about.

Anyhow, as soon as you arrive at Aloft you will be warmly greeted by the front desk staff, the ambiance will soothe you, and the snack bar will satisfy any craving you might have at mid-night! (I, myself utilized the snack bar allot!!!)
They also had waffles and hot egg sandwiches in the morning.

The rooms are modern - the bed and linens were really super comfortable. There is a coffee maker, fridge and bottled water in the room. Oh and a REAL hair-dryer!!! Yea!!
It actually dried my thick hair!
I experienced no problems with noise as others have mentioned.

I never got to try the pool but I did sit at the bar a few times and found the atmosphere very pleasant, and being alone I was grateful for the rock & roll boooks that they had out for reading.

All & all - I had an amazing time there...I was only looking for a place to flop, but I actually really enjoyed the hotel itself and the lovely staff.
I highly reccomend Aloft Portland and will def seek out the Alofts whenever I travel from now on.

Thank you so much!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
ALOFPAGM, Assistant General Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2009

Dear Nellynel,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor. Your positive comments of your visit to Aloft are great to hear.
I must say, I am also so pleased to hear that our team responded to your family's request with a sense of compassion and respect for their difficult situation. I hope your Step Father is doing well since his visit to the hospital. We wish him well!
Your comments regarding some of the amenities which make our property unique are great to see. We are proud of our new Brand and hope it will continue to resonate with folks who decide to give it a try.
I hope we will get an opportunity to see you again in the future. I also hope, since you liked your experience at our location, that you will try another one in another location. Be sure to check out all of our locations online.

Regards,

Aloft Portland

Reviewed 19 August 2009

My husband and I came for meetings for him, shopping for me.
Location--Max 1 block away, took to downtown and back; several places to eat nearby such as Red Robin and Starbucks. I walked to IKEA 3 blocks away, there are other stores in the area such as Ross, but I did not go to them.
Rooms--on the small side, but adequate; well stocked; bed comfortable; small desk and area to set suitcase.
Noise--I asked for a quiet room and was accommodated. If you don't want to hear any airplanes, don't stay near the airport. I always travel with earplugs and a small white noise machine so no problems. Staff helpful
Contemporary--decor; they also give you a $5 credit for food items if you choose not to have housekeeping if staying more than one night. Very green of them.
Exercise room very nice, good equipment

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
ALOFPAGM, Assistant General Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2009

Dear BendTraveler7,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. It is so good to hear you enjoyed your visit to Aloft Portland.
It's good to know you noticed some of the items we are extremely proud of: helpful staff, contemporary decor and a "green" culture. We are very proud of our "you tidy, we treat" program, the one you alluded to where we give you a $5 credit if you refuse housekeeping as a "stayover". Through this program we have saved thousands of gallons of water, reduced our overall waste and reduced the use of chemicals used for cleaning. In turn, we have also incentivized the guest to participate...a "win, win"! We love and our guests are loving it. Thanks for participating!
I hope we will get an opportunity to see you again in the future at Aloft Portland. If your travels take you on the road again, be sure to look for an Aloft in another neck of the woods. We are "popping up" everywhere. You can always peruse the website for locations, information and games.

Aloft Portland

Reviewed 15 August 2009

Our family just loved the property. It's high tech, environmentally friendly,and hip. The squishy floor is a nice touch. We loved the minumalisitc decor in the room and the super comfortable bed. Like in another review, we had problem with our shower door not closing properly and water leaking out into the toilet area. It's not a big deal for us, we just cover the entry way with a towel. Our room faces north and we weren't bothered by the train or airplane noise. There are occassionally loud take-offs from the airport but it's to be expected at an airport property and I found the window and the carpeting on the exterior wall muffled a lot of the noise. The only noise problem I encountered was the loud music from the bar downstairs. It was on a Sunday night, the music from the bar was so loud, I can hear it clearly until about 1am. I wondered if someone has kept the door open to the courtyard so the sound travelled up to our room. I was down in the courtyard outside the bar around 10pm and the music didn't seem as loud. I loved the setting and furnishing in the courtyard. It was very comfortable and modern. I stayed there to enjoy an after dinner drink while I watched my kids swimming in the pool through the glass walls. It was very pleasant especially on a summer evening, but I had to cut short my stay as a lot of smokers were coming out from the bar. Another couple in their 50s left and i left shortly after them as the smoke and foul language was just too much. On Monday night, everything was peaceful and fine. That was the only negative part of my experience. Otherwise everything is top notch.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family

Dear 5FrugalTravellers,

Thank you kindly for the excellent review of our property. I am happy you loved the property so much.
I am very sorry to hear the party going on downstairs was a bit too much for you. We do our best to control the noise and language, but as with any event sometimes it can be a bit difficult. I must tell you, though, music, DJ's, and a hip bar scene are very much a part of the aloft culture/vibe. It is not for everyone, but it sounds like you were able to really see Aloft for what it is. A fun, unique, and hip environment. I'm also glad you were able to experience both sides of our property, as you indicate the second night of your visit was much more mellow.
Thank you for taking the time to write a candid review of our property. The only way we gain an understanding of what we are doing well and not so well is though our guests perspective. I hope we will get an opportunity to see you again in the future.
Should I be able to assist you in the future, don't hesitate to contact me and don't forget if you are traveling to other parts of the country, Aloft's are popping up all over the place. Check it out online, of course.

Reviewed 2 August 2009

Stayed for just one night, but it was a great experience. Brand new hotel, very modern and for a very reasonable price (although I booked through Hotwire)! Wish I had one on everyplace I'd go.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
ALOFPAGM, Assistant General Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2009

Wow! Thanks so much for the positive review/comments of our property.

So glad you liked the sleek, modern design and urban feel. Not to mention, a great deal.

We really appreciate the feedback and are happy you chose our property for your travels to Portland.

Don't forget, Aloft's are "popping up" all over the place, so since you liked what you found in Portland, be sure to check another one out in another city. You can always find out more by checking Aloft out online.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2009

What a disappointment. I travel frequently on business and am a diehard Starwood loyalist. I had been looking forward to staying at the Aloft at PDX ever since it opened, but will never (willingly) stay there again.

First, the good:
- friendly, attentive staff
- interesting design of the public areas and bar
- nice bath fixtures

Now the really NOT good:

The design of the rooms looks nice enough but doesn't really work on a lot of levels, but the biggest issue is noise:
- Painted concrete ceilings transmit sound from EVERYWHERE (we were three rooms away from the elevator on the opposite side of the hall and still had more elevator noise than in any other hotel I've ever stayed in)
- The sound of water draining in the showers is loud - there is a long drop between the floor and the elbow
- Though the windows are double-glazed, the proximity to the airport and the MAX train means that you'll hear every arrival and departure
- The air conditioners sound like a jet engine (remember the AC in ancient Holiday Inns? I didn't know they still made AC units that noisy!)
I had to go out after the first night and buy earplugs to make it through the second night. Seriously.

The rest of the design issues are merely annoying:
- The 'loft' concept means that the room is semi-open and if you turn on the lights in the bathroom, it also illuminates the bedroom - annoying for the other person trying to sleep in the bedroom
- Similarly, there is no light over the toilet (just in the shower), so it's like sitting in a dark outhouse
- There is no room service and the food choices at the hotel are limited; there are also very few good options within walking distance
- For some reason, housekeeping never made it to our room. I'm not super picky, but still...

The flaws here are conceptual/design flaws, not really management flaws. If you are hearing-impaired and alone, this brand might work for you.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PHWH
ALOFPAGM, Assistant General Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2009

Dear PHW 1,

First, I am really sorry to hear the design and functionality of our product did not meet your expectations. Second, I wanted to thank you for your candid feedback regarding our product. As hotelier's the only reliable measuring stick we have is honest feedback from our guests. I sincerely appreciate the comments.

The issues you have mentioned in your review are all primarily design issues. Please keep in mind, we have built the product to specifications designed from our corporate company. I will be glad to forward your comments to them for review.

I must say I am very happy to hear your positive comments regarding our staff, the design of public areas and bath fixtures. I am disappointed to hear of your experience regarding our housekeeping team missing your room for service. I will look into the details of the incident so this issue is not a recurring one.

In the meantime, although it sounds like Aloft is not a good match for your needs, it is my hope you will look within the Starwood Family of hotels to find one. Perhaps a Westin, Element, or Sheraton would work nicely.

Thanks again for your comments and for staying with us at Aloft Portland.

Best regards,

Reviewed 13 July 2009

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
ALOFPAGM, Assistant General Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2009

Reviewed 11 July 2009

I’ve wanted to stay at an Aloft Hotel ever since they became a member of the Starwood group. My recent experience at the Portland Airport Aloft was generally quite pleasant and if you like contemporary surroundings, this may be the hotel for you. If not, be aware that Aloft properties appear to be pretty taste-specific in some areas.

If the Aloft at the Portland Airport is a fair representation, these hotels (part of the “W Hotel” group) are deliberately designed to appeal to younger, hipper traveler. Many of my fellow guests were young families with young children who delighted in the amorphous floor tiles in the elevators that changed patterns every time someone stepped on them.

This Alfot hotel is contemporary, strives to present an enviro-friendly vibe (special parking reserved for hybrids, for example), and has activities that appeal to younger, trendier travelers. As an example, Tuesday nights in the lounge feature a trivia contest (complete with an Alex Trebec-like host), meaning it was not the best place to grab a quiet drink after a hard day on the road. That said the bar’s snack menu was pretty impressive, with an array of Pacific Northwest treats in addition to the expected offering of varied nibbles.

Please don't misunderstand: it's not that Boomers like me were made to feel unwelcome; not at all. There were several of us 50-somethings staying there just after 4th of July weekend. It’s just that it's designed to accommodate the tastes of younger travelers.

Of course we all have to start somewhere, and this Aloft was obviously the starting place for many who want to work in the hospitality industry. Most of the people who work there -- as well as most of our fellow guests -- were the ages of my adult children: early 30s or younger. They were eager, friendly, and sincere but lacked the experience and refinement of people who’ve been around the block a time or two. That's not meant as a knock; just don't expect the polish of the staff at the Hay-Adams in DC or the Savoy in London.

For some inexplicable reason, the Aloft chain has glommed onto an ersatz Hawaiian theme: desk clerks don’t say, “Hello,” or “Good evening;” they say “Aloha.” That’s fine when you’re in Hawaii, but in Portland it seems a little affected, especially since there is no apparent Hawaiian theme other than the way guests are greeted.

The guest rooms are comfortably equipped with many of the amenities we expect today: flat-screen TV, high-end toiletries, hairdryer, in-room safe, ironing board and iron, desk/workspace, etc. Furnishings are retro-contemporary: modern in some senses, but retro in their use of the turquoise colors so prevalent in the early 60s.

This Aloft offers the usual fitness center, pool (indoor, of course; this IS Portland), free internet access (both in-room and at complimentary terminals off the lobby), on-site bar, snacks and coffee in the lobby. And the hotel has bicycles available. The property’s proximity to the Cascade Station shopping area means several restaurants are within easy walking distance, including a Buffalo Wild Wings, Red Robin, Starbuck's, smaller local spots, and the cafeteria at the nearby Ikea (GREAT Swedish meatballs!).

Parking is free and it’s close to both the airport and the I-205 freeway, so if contemporary is your thing, Aloft may be the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank TheTravelPro_us
cghgm, Assistant General Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2009

Dear Travel_Pro55,

Thanks for your recent visit and review of Aloft Portland. Your comments and observations of our property are greatly appreciated.

You definitely keyed in on some key components which make Aloft a different brand within it's market segment. Some elements you mention, the "contemporary design", "retro colors" and urban feel are just some of the components we believe make us feel little different than the standard Select Service brand of hotel. In addition, your mention of the in-room amenities, "enviro-vibe" and "aloha" greeting are, as well, additional attributes we believe will resonate with our consumer, young or old.

The "enviro-vibe" you mentioned is one I would like to comment on additionally. At Aloft Portland we do take our impact on the environment seriously and hope our business practices will help impact our consumer's decisions. Some things we do which minimize our carbon footprint are use of biodegrable foodwares, in-room recycling, soap and shampoo dispensers instead of traditional "mini bottles", voluntourism packages for our guests to get out and volunteer with a local non-profit, and composting of all food items. We believe these actions are just some of the ways we can encourage good business practices while connecting with our guests on a personal level.

I must say, I am sorry to hear your experience with our Talent did not meet your expectations on a professional level. Although we do have a "younger feel" to our property, it does not mean our expectations for service, professionalism and training is anything but of the highest expectations.

We will take your comments seriously and review our training with our Talent to ensure your next experience may have a more "professional vibe".

I hope we will get an opportunity to see you again in the future at Aloft Portland. Should you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Aloft Portland.