“A new experience”

Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station
Ranked #47 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 November 2009

We enjoyed most of our stay. I would agree with other reviewers that 1) a continental breakfast would be good as there is no other place to eat breakfast within walking distance. This will change when IHOP opens. 2) for a short stay lack of closet space is okay but it would be hard for more than a couple days 3) somewhere to sit besides the bed would be nice.
I really liked the option of not having the room cleaned & receiving a credit for that. Great idea. It would be nice to have some towel bars to let the towels dry since we chose not to replace the each day. With 2 of us staying here it was awkward to find a place to dry the towel.
We both thought the bed was comfortable and had a good nights sleep. The heater was inconsistant - either too hot or too cold - could not get it just right for more than a short time.
The openness of the swimming pool deterred us from using it. Did not like that it was seen from the bar/lobby.

Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
ALOFPAGM, Assistant General Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2009

Dear Sewalaskan,

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our property. I am also very pleased you enjoyed your visit to Portland and to Aloft.
I would also like to thank you for the suggestions regarding breakfast and more towel racks. We will certainly take these into consideration as we continue to evolve this new brand of hotel.

I would like to apologize to you for the inconsistent temperature of your heater. I will try to have our maintenance team investigate this further so it is not a repeat performance for any future guests.

I hope we will get the opportunity to see you again in the future. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if I may assist you in any way.

Reviewed 15 November 2009

My wife and I have been fans of Starwood hotels for years, but Aloft takes it to the next level. This hotel is by far the coolest place we've ever stayed, and that's saying something given its somewhat suburban location.

If I were rich, I would decorate my house exactly like the rooms here are decorated. The furnishings are simple but stylish, almost as if they came from the IKEA that's right down the street. Our room had a monstrous flatscreen TV mounted on the wall, complete with HD channels. The king-sized bed is low to the floor. The shower stall had a hinged glass door, and one wall of the shower is a translucent glass window looking in on the main bedroom. The above-counter sink and excellent soaps and shampoo sealed the deal in the bathroom.

The lobby is hyper-stylish as well, hosting a jazz group and hopping with people the night we were there. It smells great, too, and the cafe's muffins were delicious and not outrageously priced. The pool area also is large and beautiful.

The whole place just seems to have a lot of little touches that come together to form an excellent package. Just a couple of examples: a recycling bin, post-it notes and magazines in your room; an airline arrivals/departures board in the lobby; and free Internet access on the lobby's Macs. The employees also were exceedingly friendly and helpful without exception.

Oh, the location is excellent, too... a two-minute walk to the train station, where you can take the train to the airport (two stops away) or downtown (about a 25-minute ride). Or, if you enjoy shopping at national chain stores and eating at national chain restaurants, there are dozens of those in the shopping center that surrounds the hotel (including a not-quite-open-yet IHOP, mmm).

If I were forced to come up with a negative, it's that there's no hot tub. Also, the elevator is ridiculously slow, but that's hardly worth mentioning. If you are looking for a modern, stylish hotel that won't kill your budget, this is it.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear DenL42,

Thank you very much for the raving review of our property. I love that you refer to us as "hyper-stylish", hip and fun.

Just like with W Hotels, Starwood set out to do something different when it created Aloft. It was creative approach marked to shake up the Select Service Market of hotels. I am so pleased the unique combination of functional amenities, stylish design and "sassy" Talent.

At Aloft Portland, it is not uncommon to check in on a Tuesday night to find a national recording act playing an acoustic set in re:mix (our lobby), an interactive trivia night, an artist's reception (an evening where we showcase a local artist's work), or just a laid back evening. Not to mention, the location is not bad either with plenty of shopping right across the street.

I hope your new found love of Aloft Portland will let you investigate some of the many already open locations and if one is not already open, chances are one might be popping up soon.

Once again, thanks for the kind words and for remaining a loyal Starwood fan. See you soon!

Reviewed 15 November 2009

Trendy young and hip - at first glance my 83 year old father wasn't sure it was for him. By the time we left he loved it (and winning him over isn't easy). Great pet friendly policy - easy access rooms on the ground level for those traveling with dogs. Free parking, free internet, fabulous big screen tvs in each room - and a party feel in the lobby each evening. Definitely a better choice than the Westin for those in the Starwood Preferred Guest program.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
ALOFPAGM, Assistant General Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2009

Dear qwa2,

Hey! Thanks a lot for the great review. Sounds like you have a pretty "hip" 83 year old Father. I'm really pleased you and your Father enjoyed your experience at our property.

As you mention we are a pet friendly hotel and try to make it an "easy breezy" experience for all our guests, whether they are two legged or four legged. Our ARF kits, bones in a bowl as soon as you walk in the door and a pet food drive we are currently embarked upon, are just some of the ways we express our love of animals.

We sure hope you and your Father will visit us again soon. If I can assist you in the future regarding a visit to Aloft Portland, don't hesitate to let me know.

Reviewed 14 November 2009

Our experience at the Starwood aloft hotel was very pleasant. My wife and I met friends in Portland who have 2 small children. The hotel lobby was very kid friendly without being a madhouse.
Katy who greeted us at the front desk was very professional and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family

Dear Mckenziegolf,

Aloha from Portland! Thanks for taking the time to share you recent experience with other travellers on the web.

I'm glad you found our property to be a great match to your travel needs while in the Portland area. Your mention of one of our Talent Members (Katy) as providing you and your family with a professional and welcoming check in is wonderful to hear.

I hope we will get the opportunity to see you and your family again in the future. Keep us in mind on future excursions through the Northwest and, in case you didn't know, Aloft Hotels are popping up all over the place, so check them out wherever you may roam.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 13 November 2009

the location of casacde station makes the aloft a great choice for travelers (biz or pleasure) on the arrival night or departure eve. i use this hotel often as an easy way to make sure i make it to/from PDX in plenty of time. the rooms are very simple, but they didnt skimp on any of the details. bed, shower, tv (huge HD flat screen), provided amenities (FREE internet, soap, shampoo, etc) are all wonderful. the wxyz bar is a perfect place to meet co-workers or friends for a drink and has a good hip atmosphere. breakfast is simple but convenient and is a la carte style (perfect for on the go meals). free airport shuttle and super friendly staff (especially sharlee and paul) make for a great easy in, easy out stay.
the prices can fluctuate a little depending on occupancy just like any place...but given the options near PDX - i will choose this every time!

Dear Thewein,

Thank you kindly for the great review of our property. I am really pleased you found the hotel to be a great match for your travel needs while in the Portland area.

Your mention of our location, the simplicity, yet well thought out rooms, and unique approach to hospitality are some of the value we are most proud of.

I would also like to thank you for your mention of those Talent Members (Sharlee and Paul) who made for a great "easy in and out" during your visit. Hope to see you again in the future.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if we may assist you in the future.

Reviewed 6 November 2009

Hard to judge the value as I booked using Hotwire, so I based the value off real rates. The "Aloha" staff was so accomodating and fun. I used Aloft as just a bed and an airport shuttle as I had an early flight, and couldn't have asked for anything nicer. Actually it would be a great place just to stay and enjoy the restaurant amenities.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
ALOFPAGM, Assistant General Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2009

Dear Coastalfoodie,

Aloha from Portland! Thanks for the great comments regarding our property. I am so pleased to hear our "Aloha" desk team was fun and accomodating. I am also pleased to hear that for a quick stay with an early flight you found the experience to be "easy breezy" in nature. That's what we set out to do with the Aloft Concept and it is exciting to hear it worked well for your travel needs while in Portland.

I hope we will see you again when "jetting through" PDX. As you know, the Northwest is a special place. We hope Aloft Portland will be your "special place" on your next visit. Also keep in mind, Aloft Hotels are popping up everywhere, so be sure to look for locations near you wherever your travels take you.

Should you need any assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 1 November 2009

I needed a place to stay before getting a flight out for a trip early the next day. This hotel is a few blocks from the Portland Airport and it's close to lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance - which is great. I also needed a dog friendly hotel - and this place certainly was. The have an ARF bag and they will give you a few dog treats, water bowl and a SMALL dog bed - it makes since since the dog limit is 40 lbs. My two dogs were 65 lbs and we didn't have any trouble having them there. We were on the first floor which was great for the dogs.

We stayed here on Halloween Night - not a good idea. There was a party going on down the hall which felt more like a college dorm room then a hotel. They were still partying when I left for the airport at 6:15 am (NO JOKE!).

The hotel has a nice looking bar, free pool table and also a nice workout facility. I didn't use the gym, but you can see it from the street -- there is a big picture window so if you're shy about people watching you this isn't the place for you.

Our room was very contemporary - small but very clean and neat. Very simple. There isn't a lot of room, but it was adequate. Shower had plenty of hot water and the soaps were nice. My complaint besides the NOISE was the bed. It sucked. It was the hardest bed we've every slept on. I expected since this was in the Westin group of hotels to have a softer bed. Anything would have been better. We ended up having to put pillows under our hips (we're in our early 30's so we're not old!) to try to get comfortable. If the beds were better we'd stay here again as I'm sure the noise was a fluke.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Lady_Engelstein,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to our property. I am happy you found some of the amenities and services to be suitable to your travel needs, like "dog friendly" and the proximity to shopping. I must say, however, that I am concerned your experience at our property did not meet your expectations.

I agree with you, the noise you experienced on Halloween Night was definitely a "fluke". Getting a good night's sleep is something you should be able to expect when staying at our property. Having said that, your comments regarding the bed saddens me. The bed was specifically selected as a "signature item" to the Aloft Brand and has received many positive comments from other guests. I understand bed comfort is a very personal and subjective issue. With that said, if you find the Aloft Signature Bed too uncomfortable for your own tastes, please try one of many other options of Starwood Hotels. I might suggest Westin, as it is recognized for it's "Heavenly Bed".

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly regarding your concerns and issues with your visit. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss how we might earn your loyalty as a future Aloft guest.

Warm Regards,