“Do not recommend”

Ranked #16 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Seattle, Washington
“Do not recommend”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I reserved this trip through a reservation site that only shows the properties after you book. I wonder if the fact that I used a reservation service that offered a great room deal influenced the quality of the room I was given. I specified a "4 star and above" and was excited when I learned that my reservation was at what was supposed to be a really nice hotel.

Instead of a king bed as requested, I received two queens in a very outdated, dimly lit, sparsely furnished room that smelled of mold. The door had gauges in it, the hangers in the closet were torn (the fabric hangers), there was no hallway light, and the outside noise was loud - the TV couldn't cover it. The hallway to the room looked like a hallway from a run down apartment building - dingy, run down and poorly lit.

I arrived after a long day and called room service to order dinner. There was no answer, and eventually, the hotel operator picked up the phone. She advised me that she'd have Room Service call me back - and what seemed to be the lone Room Service employee (?) indeed did call me back. When the food arrived, there was not even a glass of water served with the tray. The plate of food (steak sandwich and salad) was OK, nothing special. I also ordered a "Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail". What I received was a cup of salad shrimp that smelled fishy and were mushy (for the bargain price of $15). I did not eat any of it. I do hope the staff checks the trays that are set outside the rooms...

Oh! One plus: they offer free in-room wifi.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank mmirandm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We had a loverly 3 night stay at the Benson. The live jazz in the lobby lounge added to the very enjoyable atmosphere. Our room was a nice size, very comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. The location was great and we walked nearly everywhere we wanted to go. Watch for the monthly fixed price special in the restaurant - we had an excellent meal at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
USA
Reviewed 15 July 2011

A group of us girls got 2 adjoining rooms for a girls night out on the town. The Benson was in a central location to the places we wanted to go to. And the doorman was very helpful with our bags and made sure we all had umbrellas when we headed out for the night. The room was very clean and had everything we needed. It was the perfect place to stay for a night out on the town.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Tinley Park, Illinois
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We got the Benson for $100/nt for 2 nights on Priceline. After reading reviews, I was a little sad we didn't get a "better" hotel. But, after staying at the Benson, I was happy with our win.

Pros:
Location - it was close to everything we wanted to see/do
The staff - everyone we interacted with was pleasant and very helpful
The lobby - gorgeous
Wifi - FREE!
The Tempur-pedic beds - we didn't know if we were going to like them or not, but we ended up loving the bed.

Cons:
The rooms - could use some updating and I would LOVE if every hotel bathroom had a fan.
The hallway - smelled a little musty, but no smell in the room
Noise - heard some street noise, but it quieted down early so it didn't bother BUT we could hear everything that went on in the hallway. I was woken at 3 am by some slamming doors (so loud that it sounded like our door!) so that sucked.

Overall, the Benson is a solid choice.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jwolfgirl
Illinois
Reviewed 12 July 2011

A grand hotel, perfect in demeanor, always friendly, the Queen Mother of hotels. A lobby that really is a lobby---half jazz bar, half gentleman's club reading room--with grand sofas and huge old chandeliers and mirrors and a little leather-topped desk tucked in a corner in case you need to dash off a note to someone. Service is outstanding, friendly without being familiar, and intelligent. Well placed for a perfect morning: breakfast at Fuller's Coffee Shop on 9th Street, then up a couple of blocks to Powell's City of Books. Shuttle from airport was fast and friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Being from out-of-town and never having visited Portland before, we were made aware of this hotel on the advice of the Portland Japanese Garden. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of this traditional hotel and the very resonable prices. This hotel has a rich history, and still has the original woodwork. The rare wood used in the paneling and decorations was purchased from the Czar of Russia. Take a close look while you are sipping a drink in the bar and listening to the jazz combo. The lobby is of museum quality.

The staff was friendly and helpful. We had a nice talk with the bellhop, who gave us a mini-tour of the lobby. The location downtown is super, and allows you to walk to many attractions. In addition, Portland has excellent public transportation. We decided that we did not need to rent a car (good choice). The room was comfortable and larger than many modern hotels that we have stayed in. It was quiet and good sleeping.

The restaurant was good, but very expensive.

Note: this is not your modern hotel-with-disco-and-pool experience. This is an old-fashioned hotel experience that is a real treat, and one that is becoming more and more rare.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I was excited to visit this hotel but my expectations were not met! I would say its an easy 3 star but not 4 that a lot of websites claim!

When we arrived, we had to wait 5 minutes in the car for valet to approach us. They actually took the car that arrived after me, first. The valet guy did not have welcoming attitude. Just a guy doing his job I guess.

We checked in and went to our room. It was still being worked on by house cleaning. Headed back downstairs and was sent to another room. Did not even offer us free breakfast for the inconvenience! When we did finally get our 2nd room, the shower was clogged. I had to take a shower with my feet dipped in like 5 inches of water. Called front desk for another room and upgrade. Told the rooms were all booked and still did not offer us anything for inconvenience!

There is also no movie ordering on the tv. Even motel 6 offers movies you can buy! Would not heat our sake due to health regulation codes!!! I'm so fed up just writing this! Don't staff ever take ownership anymore?!

Good stuff : el gaucho restaurant.
Fast elevators.
Morning valet crew, as opposed to evening.

When I mentioned my experience at check out, the front desk did comp my valet so I feel a little better. Would I return? Probably not.

• Stayed June 2011