“Nice hotel in downtown Portland”
Review of Benson Hotel

Benson Hotel
Ranked #18 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We didn't know it at the time but apparently on the 9th floor where our room was is haunted. It just adds to the uniqueness of this historic hotel and, that being said, we had no issues at all and liked our room. Maybe it's because we were higher up and facing a tall building on the back of the hotel (no view!!) but it was very quiet for being right in the middle of downtown. Despite the 100 deg temperature outside we found it very pleasant in the hotel.

My only complaint is how the check-in desk handled my question about parking. The hotel does have valet parking for $31 per day but we didn't want or need valet and in/out privileges. Portland is a great city for exploring on foot, bike, or transit. I did some research before I left and found public parking (PMC) in the Union Bank next to the hotel. I inquired on check-in whether they thought it was safe or even possible to park there for 3 days. The only response was "We have nothing to do with the parking next door". So what? You don't have anything to do with the restaurant down the street but still might recommend it even though there is one in the hotel! I parked at the PMC anyway and it's is actually the garage used by the hotel for valet. It has an underground walkway that goes right to the hotel elevators too. $17max for 24hrs vs $31 for the valet, so you have options. Cheers.

2  Thank Marc_and_Heather
Ron G, General Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay at The Benson Hotel! We’re pleased you were comfortable and enjoyed your guest room. We apologize for any misunderstanding regarding parking. There are certainly some good self-parking alternatives next to the hotel, including the adjacent Union Bank building with tunnel access. We’re glad you found this parking adequate to fit your needs. Another option would be to book with one of our packages that include parking during your next visit! We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,286)

Reviewed 6 August 2012 via mobile

First checked in to room 1122, no issues. Then I get back into room at 830pm and bark bark bark.... Some lovely person left their dog behind in a nearby room. So after two calls to front desk, they give me another room an hour later. I get into room 325 and it's 80 degrees inside! Then the room is missing the robes, slippers and toiletries my other room had?!? I call front desk and they kindly send a fella with the missing room items. The air is still an issue, so I call and they send engineering. He says the air is coming out at 60 degrees, but since the demand In the building is up, it will be slow to cool down. So here I am, trying to sleep in 80 degree room and I'm wishing for the barking dog again! Perhaps just a really bad stoke of luck, but it happened to me! Not a good stay.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Rebecca M

Thank you for staying at The Benson Hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered with the guest room air conditioning and barking dog. This is certainly not the experience we want our guests to have while with us. We do hope you will consider visiting us again for a much more enjoyable stay at The Benson Hotel.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

My husband and I wanted a night away in celebration of our 10 year wedding anniversary, and we decided on a Portland staycation. We booked an executive junior suite at The Benson Hotel after discovering an amazing nonrefundable, pay-in-full rate on their website (to find it, enter your travel dates and search for available rooms and rates, then be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the results page). We had stayed at The Benson once before, but it had been years, so we were excited to try it out again. From the moment we arrived, we knew it would be the perfect stay. The hotel lobby is gorgeous...old-world charm with high ceilings, ornate details, and a spacious check-in area. The staff at the front desk was warm and accommodating, and we were very pleasantly surprised to find we had been upgraded to a Penthouse Suite for the special occasion. The room was beautiful: a relaxing sitting area, steps up to a separate bedroom that included 2 desks and a very comfortable bed, and an absolutely spotless bathroom (believe me, I checked everything :). Wonderful bath products (Gilchrist and Soames), as well. We did go down to the Palm Court (restaurant/bar) in the lobby to have a few drinks and enjoy the live music. The drinks were very good, and the service was great. Check-out was also quick, easy, and accurate.

We live in Portland, so location was not a big deal to us as we weren't there to tour the city, but for those coming in from out-of-town, The Benson is extremely well-located. Easy access to all of the amenities and activities of downtown Portland and the nearby Pearl District. Public transportation in this area (streetcar, trolley, cabs) are convenient and easily accessible as well.

We wouldn't change a thing about our stay, and cannot wait to visit again for another special occasion.

Room Tip: Be sure to check the pay-in-full rates on the Benson website. They were far better than any rates w...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank christiewi
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My husband and I have a tradition of spending our Wedding Anniversary downtown. We've stayed in several hotels, some more expensive and some less then what we paid at the Benson. We chose the pre-paid non refundable Jr Suite special. The room was large but the furnishings were worn out and the carpet was stained with cigarette burns. The bathroom was clean but in bad need of an update. We tried to switch rooms due to a musty smell but the only other Jr Suite available was in exactly the same condition. The pictures on their web site do not reflect the rooms we saw. The lobby is beautiful but we will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Asj1234
Reviewed 4 August 2012

This well located hotel was beautiful and comfortable, with high-quality bedding and - best of all - a quiet ventilating system. My only gripe is that they don't offer complimentary breakfast of any kind - even a muffin and juice would have been so helpful. But they do offer a companion fish - no kidding. My husband was missing our dog so I called and within a half-hour they delivered a large goldfish in a bowl to our room. Walking distance to most everything you'd want to do in Portland, including numerous places to eat.

1  Thank Farewell18
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed at the Benson Hotel for four nights. While the staff was very nice, the room wasn't as clean as we would have liked. There were several items from the last guest left on the floor (a luggage tag, other trash) and we had to phone twice to get the coffee supplies refilled. The room itself was very plain. The bathroom was small. The first room they gave had a view of a wall. We had paid an upgrade fee and that is where we started. It is in a nice location, but I'd stay somewhere else for the price.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
1  Thank zsesame
Reviewed 4 August 2012

First time in Portland and first time at the Benson Hotel. It was a great hotel with alot of charm and history in a convenient location. The staff added to the overall stay with their pleasant and accomodating dispositions. The breakfast buffet at the hotel was a wonderful value for a hotel of this calliber. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family